• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coil Springs And Shock Absorbers In Fb15

Sonariz

Question

Since I felt uncomfortable while I am driving in my FB15 (2000), I took it to the mechanic to check suspension . I intended to replace rear shock absorbers. But mechanic told me that rear shocks are still good in its condition (nearly 50%). But he told me coil springs are need to replace since they are not at in any compression while fitting and in idle condition.

Then he showed this to another mechanic who works there and he told me this is quite normal to FB15s.

So, I am quite confused with this coil spring issue and I really feel very much uncomfortable when I am during in rough roads, It is more like I am ridding a boat in sea.

5 answers to this question

Sonariz,

Go to a Shock absorber testing shop (NALAKA) and request them to test your S/A complete car rear and front.

Coil springs are in most vehicles, last till life time of the vehicle. 2nd opinion may be correct.

I don't think any one is having a machine installed in Sri Lanka to test the coli springs.

If you have doubt remove a coil spring. Take same to a spare shop and compare the height of same with a new one.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Sonariz,

I did a Google search and found under,

Longevity of Coil Springs.

• Coil springs can and will become compromised after time. However, depending on their application to the vehicle, many coil springs can last the lifetime of the vehicle. There really is no expiration date on coil springs, but there are a few things to check for when inspecting your suspension.

While coil springs support the weight of the vehicle, it's the shocks' or struts' job to prevent the bouncing. Jounce the front suspension (and the rear, for that matter) and count how many bounces occur after you release the vehicle. Two or more full bounces means weak shocks or struts. But what caused it? Age is likely the determining culprit. Coil springs are much more durable than shocks and struts, and many times replacing the shocks or struts will return the vehicle back to its original level of performance.

However, weak shocks and struts will take their toll on coil springs if left ignored for a long period of time. As the coils weaken, you will notice clunking or bottoming-out sounds, because the coils are not able to provide stability to the weight of the vehicle.

In addition, weakened coils will damage shocks and struts, because their rebound distance will be much farther than the components were intended to perform. Weak coils will compromise the ride height of the vehicle, and this symptom will affect the vehicle's alignment. Measuring the ride height of the vehicle and comparing that with the specifications will help you determine whether the coils are working in conjunction with the shocks and struts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sonariz,

Go to a Shock absorber testing shop (NALAKA) and request them to test your S/A complete car rear and front.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL at this shock testing place. They tried a fast one to rip me off but I did not fall for it. They were very good at one time but does not seem that way now.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL at this shock testing place. They tried a fast one to rip me off but I did not fall for it. They were very good at one time but does not seem that way now.

Cj5,

May be that they tried that with you in recant past. I have not been to them for about three years. As I use new vehicles.

Have directed number of customers to them and they had not complained to me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Since I felt uncomfortable while I am driving in my FB15 (2000), I took it to the mechanic to check suspension . I intended to replace rear shock absorbers. But mechanic told me that rear shocks are still good in its condition (nearly 50%). But he told me coil springs are need to replace since they are not at in any compression while fitting and in idle condition.

Then he showed this to another mechanic who works there and he told me this is quite normal to FB15s.

So, I am quite confused with this coil spring issue and I really feel very much uncomfortable when I am during in rough roads, It is more like I am ridding a boat in sea.

If your description of the problem is true, sounds like you need to inspect your rear shock absorbers. When they are worn and when you go through say a pot hole, the spring will compress, but the shock absorber will not hold the compressed spring releasing it gently, which is how shock absorption works. It will release the spring straight away resulting in bounce. You experience this more from the back than the front as the front has the weight of the engine on it, slightly controlling this while the rear without passengers will bounce a lot.

Coil springs usually last the life time of the car, and you should only need to replace them if they crack.