• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Registering A Brand New Vehicle

Clark's son

We just imported a brand new vehicle trough the permit and considering of keeping it unregistered for some time, till we sell a vehicle we are using now.

We don't need to use it in a hurry.

We are able to keep it parked without taking it out.

Is there any law regarding keeping it unregistered and is there a fine?

If so how much is it?

Is it possible to register the vehicle in another persons name (or a company's name) as the 1st owner when registering rater than using the permit holder (he's also a family member).

We just imported a brand new vehicle trough the permit and considering of keeping it unregistered for some time, till we sell a vehicle we are using now.

If so how much is it?

Is it possible to register the vehicle in another persons name (or a company's name) as the 1st owner when registering rater than using the permit holder (he's also a family member).

Clark's son,

You have to jack up and keep if you intend regestering after long time of your import.

The new law is you can keep a vehicle for a long time till you register same. Early imports were compelled to register as soon as you import.

If not you have to pay from the date of import for registration fees.If you contact RMV ten they will give you all information.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

If so how much is it?

You can keep it unregistered as long as you dont use it.

But you will have to pay the fine will be imposed when you register the vehicle in this case you are given a few months grace period, but if you get caught by traffic police you will be told to register the vehicles and show it.

If the vehicle was bought on a permit or even under your name (unless you are registered at RMV and has a garage plate) the vehicle will be first registered under the importers name and subsequently transferred to the new owner on the same day.

• Like 1

You can keep it unregistered as long as you dont use it.

But you will have to pay the fine will be imposed when you register the vehicle in this case you are given a few months grace period, but if you get caught by traffic police you will be told to register the vehicles and show it.

If the vehicle was bought on a permit or even under your name (unless you are registered at RMV and has a garage plate) the vehicle will be first registered under the importers name and subsequently transferred to the new owner on the same day.

Thank you very much,

Yes I'll keep it away from the cops :)

So will the new owner be the 1st owner or the 2nd owner,

Will there be any aditional cost?

Edited by Clark's son

Thank you very much,

Yes I'll keep it away from the cops :)

So will the new owner be the 1st owner or the 2nd owner,

Will there be any aditional cost?

You have the vehicle with you now.. so you will be the first owner (in reality), but on paper you will be second.. but why would you even worry about things like this?? Are you already worried about the 2nd hand market???

If I just bought a brand new car, i would get the paperwork done and start driving/enjoying it right away, rather than delay registration (presumably to increase 2nd hand value) and watch that car gather dust in my garden..

siighh.... different strokes for different blokes i guess...

PS: What's this new car btw? Care to share a photo at least? :)

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3

You have the vehicle with you now.. so you will be the first owner (in reality), but on paper you will be second.. but why would you even worry about things like this?? Are you already worried about the 2nd hand market???

If I just bought a brand new car, i would get the paperwork done and start driving/enjoying it right away, rather than delay registration (presumably to increase 2nd hand value) and watch that car gather dust in my garden..

siighh.... different strokes for different blokes i guess...

PS: What's this new car btw? Care to share a photo at least? :)

Actually I would love to jump in and drive but very busy these days.

Hardly found time to bring it down from the company.

Because this is on mom's permit there is no issue in keeping it on her name if there is any such case.

Nothing special it's just a boring Montero Di-D 3.2 . And sorry I still couldn't take a photo.

Selected it with the brain while the heart was on the Range rover, because it will be ultimately driven by a driver and will not have time for company services.

Edited by Clark's son