• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Acceleration Problem In 2Nd Gear

NRX

Hi guys,

I've been having this issue this for few months, the car (FB13 Manual) basically struggles to accelerate in 2nd gear, this can be felt when trying to accelerate in slow moving traffic in 2nd gear. because of this I have to put to 1st ger and speed up, this causes sometimes to make gear engaging noise because the gear is shifted to 1st gear while moving. While this is predominantly happening in 2nd gear once in a while I can feel it in other gears as well. But If I'm accelrating right after from shifting from 1st gear it's not there.

Can you help me to identify the issue ? Does distributor timing have anything to do with the issue ?

Thank you

How good is the clutch plate and pressure plate?

When you say "trying to accelerate in slow moving traffic" is it that you try to pickup on the 2nd from standstill in slow moving traffic?

Edited by CJ5

While on neutral if you suddenly press the pedal does the engine respond immediately or does it miss a beat or two and then rev up?If the engine response is sluggish you have to get your ignition timing checked. Also there is a vacuum delay valve (about 3cm diameter round black gadget with one side brown color) on the vacuum line from carb to distributor. See if it is there in the first place and if so, there is a way to get it tested.

Edited by Rumesh88

While on neutral if you suddenly press the pedal does the engine respond immediately or does miss a beat or two and then rev up?If the engine response is sluggish you have to get your ignition timing checked.

You got a point there BUT....OP also says....

. While this is predominantly happening in 2nd gear once in a while I can feel it in other gears as well. But If I'm accelrating right after from shifting from 1st gear it's not there.

If it was an issue with the timing wouldn't it have been present through-out???? Just asking :)

If it was an issue with the timing wouldn't it have been present through-out???? Just asking :)

Yes. But when you immediately change gears from 1 to 2 the engine is already on high revs and the driver may not feel the impact of timing. But if you are coasting on 2nd in traffic and try to accelerate suddenly the intake vacuum drops and may retard the engine before it revs up. The delay valve acts to prevent it.

How good is the clutch plate and pressure plate?

When you say "trying to accelerate in slow moving traffic" is it that you try to pickup on the 2nd from standstill in slow moving traffic?

Well once I tried releasing the clutch in 5th gear while the car was stopped and brake was firmly applied, the engine was killed. Does that mean the clutch is good ?

No, it's not from stand still, let's say it's around 10Kmph when it happens.

Edited by NRX

While on neutral if you suddenly press the pedal does the engine respond immediately or does it miss a beat or two and then rev up?If the engine response is sluggish you have to get your ignition timing checked. Also there is a vacuum delay valve (about 3cm diameter round black gadget with one side brown color) on the vacuum line from carb to distributor. See if it is there in the first place and if so, there is a way to get it tested.

Rumesh. The responsiveness is not good, it skips a beat once in a while. Yes! There is one gadget that matches your description. I've always wondered what that was :D

BTW, how do you test it ?

Yes. But when you immediately change gears from 1 to 2 the engine is already on high revs and the driver may not feel the impact of timing. But if you are coasting on 2nd in traffic and try to accelerate suddenly the intake vacuum drops and may retard the engine before it revs up. The delay valve acts to prevent it.

I think we are on the same page. I feel the engine struggling to accelerate in 2nd gear ( in traffic). I feel a slight vibration when this happens.

We all seem to be on the same page at the same time :sleeping-smiley-001:

There may be two such valves although they look similar one is a delay valve and other is a one way valve (you may not have it perhaps).If ther is a confusion trace the vacuum line from distributor backwards and it would split into two one going to a themal valve and other going to delay valve. Immediately after the delay valve you get a T-joint with one side going to same thermal valve and other going to carb. Delay valve should be oriented to face brown side to carb. Remove it and blow (wash your mouth immediately!) it from distributor side (black). then blow from carb (brown side). The resistance to blowing should be greater when you do it from carb side. If so it is good. Before removing it first observe whether it was originally oriented in the correct direction.

Edited by Rumesh88

• 5 months later...
NRX,

To test the clutch that was a very old method. which automobile veterans introduced.

You engage your gear to the last drive gear. 4th if 4 forward 5th 5 forward.

Accelerate to about 2000 RPM then release the clutch peddle slowly before you release full the engine will stop to function.

This test proves the clutch and relevant parts are in very good condition.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

NRX,

To test the clutch that was a very old method. which automobile veterans introduced.

You engage your gear to the last drive gear. 4th if 4 forward 5th 5 forward.

Accelerate to about 2000 RPM then release the clutch peddle slowly before you release full the engine will stop to function.

This test proves the clutch and relevant parts are in very good condition.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Is that a method of destructive testing?

Is that a method of destructive testing?

No it is not (unless of course the clutch is worn out to the very limit)! However, it should not be used as a routine test but if you suspect a problem with the clutch you can use this method to confirm.