• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rmv

dpk

Question

Dear All,

i baught a car 3yrs ago with open papers which MTA8 &MTA6 signed by the owner(without dating) and last january i sold the car with open papers. new byer want to tranfer the car and he ask me he need no-objection letter and ID copy from the current registered owner

so i call to owner and ask above documents. he said i allredy hand ower a new MTA6 form to RMV which filled with my details so he cant issue new no objection letter for new byer

1. he said he put actual adte which deal had, if so will i have to pay fine for new byer? but still we have undated MTA6 with his sign
  2. i checked with RMV they said no entry of fine but owner said he handed over MTA6 and copy recipt of the deal for his safe

i am dissapointed :speechless-smiley-003: please help i need to transfer car to new byer

6 answers to this question

1. he said he put actual adte which deal had, if so will i have to pay fine for new byer? but still we have undated MTA6 with his sign - If RMV has already made a note of the previous transfer then you have to pay the fine and do a double transfer. In case if it was not noted by RMV although the previous owner had returned the papers, if you can get the previous owner to sign a set of new transfer papers you can get away with it. All depends on your ability to negotiate with the previous owner.

This is why you should not keep a car on open papers if you are going to use it, too much of complications arise when you keep a car on open papers.

On the no objection letter thing and photo copy of ID of previous owner;

Photo copy of ID of current owner is required by the RMV for any vehicle you transfer, just that some dont ask for it when they go from the back door.

Letter of no objection afaik know is required when its a company owned vehicle.

If the previous owner is unwilling to sign a new no objection letter better yet you get one for yourself and go for a double transfer. And since you are the person selling the car its your responsibility to help the new owner register the car and you will have to be responsible to pay any fine.

Or you you could speak to one of the rmv clerks from car sales places to help you out, meaning you will have to pay them an extra fee.

• Like 2

This is what happens when you buy or sell cars with open papers. AFAIK, you WILL need the letter from the registered owner and there is no way out of it. I sold one of my cars and I sent the my documents the very next day, 6 months later the man who bought the car is coming and saying he did not transfer the car and he wants to sell it. I refused to sign any documents and chased him away. Not my problem.

There is a law in this country. Follow it and there will be no trouble later on.

This is why you should not keep a car on open papers if you are going to use it, too much of complications arise when you keep a car on open papers.

On the no objection letter thing and photo copy of ID of previous owner;

Photo copy of ID of current owner is required by the RMV for any vehicle you transfer, just that some dont ask for it when they go from the back door.

Letter of no objection afaik know is required when its a company owned vehicle.

If the previous owner is unwilling to sign a new no objection letter better yet you get one for yourself and go for a double transfer. And since you are the person selling the car its your responsibility to help the new owner register the car and you will have to be responsible to pay any fine.

Or you you could speak to one of the rmv clerks from car sales places to help you out, meaning you will have to pay them an extra fee.

Machang , the letter is now mandatory for all transfers, personal or company. I gave the letter to the guy I sold the car to. He cant sell it with that letter. What needs to be done is they will need to go ahead with the transfer and re transfer to the new buyer, sort of a double transfer.

What NZer is saying is true. No objection letter (countersigned by a JP in the seller's area) and seller's NIC copy is necessary only if you are doing a one-day transfer. If the buyer goes through a finance company, it's not required even for a one-day transfer.

Furthermore, if RMV has no record of the documents sent by the previous owner, then you need not worry about a fine or double transfer.

Just ask the new owner to do a normal transfer. That's the easiest way out.

Please note that this is not an endorsement of open paper transactions.

• Like 2