• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mahindra Bolero And Tata Single Cab - 2Wd To 4Wd

Shanka

Question

22 answers to this question

Bad idea. You will need front and rear differentials, propellor shaft, maybe a new gearbox and a lot of stuff. You won't find them at breaker yards here so you may have to source them from the agent or from india. Most likely it will cost you as much as a 4WD truck itself.

One option I can think of, is to get a de-registered smashed up bolero from an insurance yard for a pittance and then use the parts on your cab.

Edited by Crosswind

Or you can covert it using Jap parts may be of a pajero etc. Will need to see the chassis etc

Sometimes its best to stay put if you do not genuinely know anything about something. Do you even know what a 2WD to 4WD conversion entails? particularly one as radical as you suggest. Remember there is no transfer box, no front differential and possibly no supports to mount any of the necessary gear to the chassis. Not to mention issues like how the steering will work post conversion.

OP why don't you find a Tata Sumo ro something? Can't be that expensive and there must be a few around.

Did anyone of you see the part that i said need to see the chassis? You dont need another exact vehicle to do a conversion. Im sorry to contest with geniuses like you guys but to my knowledge it could be done and any part of the body could be fabricated to accommodate parts. There are excellent mechanics in this country who could do this. Once again i said some mechanics not all maka bass buggars. Anyways once again sorry if i offended you guys.

NZer,

Yes, its not impossible. And yes you said "see the chassis", but that just sounds like an exit clause that people use just in case someone calls your post BS. And how much money, time and effort would you be willing to thrown into this project.

And Shanka, the Bolero isnt anything fantastic to begin with. I dont see the point of trying to retain the vehicle just to have 4wd. You're better off buyinga 20 year old BJ40 than a 2 year old bolero. The options and the comfort will probably be the same, but I bet the BJ40 will still be a more reliable and hassle free ride than the Bolero.

NZer,

Yes, its not impossible. And yes you said "see the chassis", but that just sounds like an exit clause that people use just in case someone calls your post BS. And how much money, time and effort would you be willing to thrown into this project.

And Shanka, the Bolero isnt anything fantastic to begin with. I dont see the point of trying to retain the vehicle just to have 4wd. You're better off buyinga 20 year old BJ40 than a 2 year old bolero. The options and the comfort will probably be the same, but I bet the BJ40 will still be a more reliable and hassle free ride than the Bolero.

Yep agree with you! My uncle has a Mitsubishi Jeep 4D56, very tough stuff

People in SL love to convert vehicles don't they??? Petrol vehicles to diesel vehicles, ( some I know even convert converted diesel vehicles back to petrol !!!) 5 doors to 4 doors in Vans, auto to manual and manual to auto, trucks to buses, buses to trucks, 4WD to 2WD often by removing the front drive shaft, and now we have OP contemplating on converting a 2WD to 4WD!! :action-smiley-015:

I have seen all these types of conversions BUT yet to see a 2WD converted to a 4WD and running perfectly, have any of you members seen such a thing or even aware of one?????? :action-smiley-012:

Edited by CJ5

Did anyone of you see the part that i said need to see the chassis? You dont need another exact vehicle to do a conversion. Im sorry to contest with geniuses like you guys but to my knowledge it could be done and any part of the body could be fabricated to accommodate parts. There are excellent mechanics in this country who could do this. Once again i said some mechanics not all maka bass buggars. Anyways once again sorry if i offended you guys.

NZer my friend, like you said... yes. you don't need the exact parts to do a conversion. in fact, you dont even need parts... all you need is some sheet metal and some old GI pipes and maybe a few rolls of wires and a few relays. You can fabricate most of the parts you need with these stuff and you can get the housings done in a foundry workshop. There are excellent mechanics in this country who have the capability to do all that.

Similarly, there are excellent mechanics in this country who would fabricate a brake master pump out of an old gas cylinder. Yes, it can be done. Yes, it will work. and yes, the guy who fixed that device in to his 4DR5 will be very happy about it... until the day he meets with a frontal impact and the jeep gets engulfed in flames. Ironically, the guy who built that contraption would still be alive and would still be bragging about it.

With ingenuity, anything can be done. But is it advisable to do so? Definitely NOT. Not because it cannot be done, but simply because a life/lives are more valuable than some cheap modification on a vehicle.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

Where is the OP...sounds to me like he doesnt own either one of the vehicles reading the subject, chances are our boy wants to get a cheapo and do the convert and maybe even earn a quick buck. "Shanka" if your still viewing this thread there is nothing called impossible only thing you have to factor in is the time, effort, money put in and the legality of converting a vehicle. the bigger concern is why would you even bother with something like this on a indian make where you could easily get a decent japanese 4wd with much less time, money and effort spent.

NZer, its not about being a genius, its a simple case of evaluating the facts at hand and giving a measured response. Remember somebody has asked a question expecting educated advice.

As Crosswind says you can fabricate an entire 4WD vehicle out of just GI pipe, and it has been done. That is not the question here. There question is it realistic to achieve that in a reasonable budget, are the skills to do that readily available and what are the chances of success.

In my personal experience these type of frankestein jobs end up creating various weak points in the build which come back to haunt you later. Remember you convert something to 4WD only if you require that ability and that means heavy duty off roading.

Also I don't know if you have experienced this but the quality of machine shops in Sri Lanka is quite poor. This is why most engine rebuilds now involve re sleeving and using the original pistons with new rings rather than re boring and using oversize pistons. The boring work is not accurate enough.

You have to consider things like driving dynamics as well, vehicle balance, vehicle geometry, suspension travel, engine torque etc. Remember there is no simulations, no prototypes, it will more than likely be done on a trial and error basis.

If the vehicles in question had a 4WD version then it would be a simpler matter. You just find the necessary parts and swap them around. But trying to make fit parts from a different vehicles is a time consuming, risky, costly exercise which can only be justified under the most extreme of circumstances, say you're building a vehicle to run the paris-dakar rally!

Sometimes its best to stay put if you do not genuinely know anything about something. Do you even know what a 2WD to 4WD conversion entails? particularly one as radical as you suggest. Remember there is no transfer box, no front differential and possibly no supports to mount any of the necessary gear to the chassis. Not to mention issues like how the steering will work post conversion.

OP why don't you find a Tata Sumo ro something? Can't be that expensive and there must be a few around.

Thanks Don. I really thought Bolero or Tata would make a wonderful jungle ride considering that they have hardy chassis. I see so many in Habarana and Wilpaththu side, and even Yala these days. However can't find any with 4WD. But in India I searched that they have, so I thought it is a matter of changing the front axels and shafts. Reading the thread, it seems to be much more complicated.

People in SL love to convert vehicles don't they??? Petrol vehicles to diesel vehicles, ( some I know even convert converted diesel vehicles back to petrol !!!) 5 doors to 4 doors in Vans, auto to manual and manual to auto, trucks to buses, buses to trucks, 4WD to 2WD often by removing the front drive shaft, and now we have OP contemplating on converting a 2WD to 4WD!! :action-smiley-015:

I have seen all these types of conversions BUT yet to see a 2WD converted to a 4WD and running perfectly, have any of you members seen such a thing or even aware of one?????? :action-smiley-012:

:) Come to think of, never knew anyone who has done 2WD to 4WD. The thread confirmed it. But if one could, I would like that. :)

NZer,

Thanks for the advice Watchman. Had a BJ40 but didn't like it much. Want sort of a larger one which I can use without crying about scratches, dents :) I see a BJ45 for sale but kinda worried because I have only seen 3 of them ever running on the roads in Colombo.

Thanks everyone for the advices. Owned a wonderful 20 year old Suzuki Gypsy for years, sometime ago (with R2 Diesel Engine). The places I have gone in it for years earned a lot of "my" respect for that Indian Chassis. It made me believe that even larger Chassis of Bolero and Tata also might be hardy and durable (not sure about the number of years they may last though, but the Gypsy does very well per my experience). Did the biggest mistake of selling it about 2 years ago. Had two 4DR5s too, but didn't give the riding pleasure when it comes to Mud and Rocks compared to the Gypsy.

The prob with Gypsy is that it is too compact. When you fill it with Buds, no room to put the bags and stuff. :)

Anyway, it would have been a great if I can find a "cheapo" but with 4WD :) so I could care less, about using it in harsh conditions without worrying about spare parts, resale value etc etc. May be a Bolero Double Cab with 4WD would have been "perfect++" if the rear could accommodate 2 X side ways seats. Personally would have considered it a perfect vehicle for my need, in my opinion. :) I also saw a Maxi Truck Double Cab too (Only saw one of those on the road) but still didn't have 4WD.

Thanks everyone for the advices. Owned a wonderful 20 year old Suzuki Gypsy for years, sometime ago (with R2 Diesel Engine). The places I have gone in it for years earned a lot of "my" respect for that Indian Chassis. It made me believe that even larger Chassis of Bolero and Tata also might be hardy and durable (not sure about the number of years they may last though, but the Gypsy does very well per my experience). Did the biggest mistake of selling it about 2 years ago. Had two 4DR5s too, but didn't give the riding pleasure when it comes to Mud and Rocks compared to the Gypsy.

The prob with Gypsy is that it is too compact. When you fill it with Buds, no room to put the bags and stuff. :)

Anyway, it would have been a great if I can find a "cheapo" but with 4WD :) so I could care less, about using it in harsh conditions without worrying about spare parts, resale value etc etc. May be a Bolero Double Cab with 4WD would have been "perfect++" if the rear could accommodate 2 X side ways seats. Personally would have considered it a perfect vehicle for my need, in my opinion. :) I also saw a Maxi Truck Double Cab too (Only saw one of those on the road) but still didn't have 4WD.

What you need, old chum, is an LN106 Hilux. Find one that has been well maintained with some form of service history and you'll have a vehicle that'll do all that you need it to. It will also be more comfortable than the Boleros etc, even with leaf springs all round.

Invest in a decent suspension kit, keep the body protected against rust (it becomes an issue after the vehicle crosses the 15 year old mark) and you'll be sorted for life....

whats ur budget i seen some suzuki samurai`s fixed up for some proper offroading in a few australian forums and clubs think. that and the gypsy are same in terms of size maybe you can do one up for your self again or you could go for a nissan mq 160 patrol with the SD33 engine take off the fiber hood run a roll cage and back benches for your buddies.

If you are looking for a TATA double cab, try the forces auctions. They have the 4WD version and its known as Telcoline.

I am also aware of a certain government department, which tried to auction off some of their Bolero jeeps (not double cabs) but didn't get a single bid to match their valulation (a mere 850000). This was last year. So keep an eye open for govt auctions. You might find what you need.

Thanks Don. I really thought Bolero or Tata would make a wonderful jungle ride considering that they have hardy chassis. I see so many in Habarana and Wilpaththu side, and even Yala these days. However can't find any with 4WD. But in India I searched that they have, so I thought it is a matter of changing the front axels and shafts. Reading the thread, it seems to be much more complicated.

The Mahindras and the Tatas will be the last vehicle to see wild animals. To begin with many are not 4WD and cannot take on rough terrain and so you are not taken on the interior tracks ie. Talgasmankada-Paranatotupola road etc etc at Yala but many don't know that fact.

The other issue is the terrible din that those engines make can be heard miles away inside the jungle and would chase away animals, specially in parks such as Wilpattu and Wasgamuwa where the animals are still timid and not quite familiar and accustomed with vehicles..

Edited by CJ5

The Mahindras and the Tatas will be the last vehicle to see wild animals. To begin with many are not 4WD and cannot take on rough terrain and so you are not taken on the interior tracks ie. Talgasmankada-Paranatotupola road etc etc at Yala but many don't know that fact.

The other issue is the terrible din that those engines make can be heard miles away inside the jungle and would chase away animals, specially in parks such as Wilpattu and Wasgamuwa where the animals are still timid and not quite familiar and accustomed with vehicles..

Yep, I'm with CJ5 on this. The reason you see Tatas and Mahindras in wilf life parks is because its the cheapest thing they can get these days. And those hired jeeps are not paid by the number of animals you see or by the toughness of the terrain they take. They will stick to the main roads and a few flat dry roads to pass the time that you have hired the jeep for.

And recently my dad was in Wasgamuwa and got bogged down in the grand vitara. All rentals there were mahendras and apparently they don't wanna tow anything beyond its own weight cos the clutches wear out quite easily. Even they call a tractor rather than pull each other out when needed.

Its a different story if you can find a 4WD version of the same vehicle. Then it will be a simple case of bolting the bits on, but only makes sense if you already have the kit taken off some condemned vehicle or something. Because for what they are, there isn't much point trying to modify them.

As supra suggests the Toyota Hilux or any Japanese 4WD would be a better platform to build on, even an older one.