• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fm Modulators

Sumzy

Question

My car has a Japanese AV set up and it doesn't work with the FM frequency range in Sri Lanka. I am planing to buy a FM modulator and plug it to the cigarette lighter socket and use it for FM transmissions.

I just need to see how well this can receive FM signals outside of Colombo. If anyone has used this kind of a modulator, please let me know your experience.

10 answers to this question

My car has a Japanese AV set up and it doesn't work with the FM frequency range in Sri Lanka. I am planing to buy a FM modulator and plug it to the cigarette lighter socket and use it for FM transmissions.

I just need to see how well this can receive FM signals outside of Colombo. If anyone has used this kind of a modulator, please let me know your experience.

There are some decent units available. I have one with a 1*1.5" digital display. I've been using it for a couple of years and so far working fine. only thing is you have to shrink your antenna when you using it otherwise when it comes across with a frequency of a radio channel, it will disturb your music. still you can avoid it if you set the frequency at anything below 87.5.

Pëtco Lanka offered a service where they chip your receiver to receive the higher frequencies. So you won't need an external modulator. They offered this service with a tie in with yesFM when they changed their frequency from 89.5 to 101 because ofntheblarge amount of fan complaints from people who had jdm receivers. I'm sure they still do it. I've heard such a chipped receiver and the audio was crystal clear. Big difference from the modulators.

Pëtco Lanka offered a service where they chip your receiver to receive the higher frequencies. So you won't need an external modulator. They offered this service with a tie in with yesFM when they changed their frequency from 89.5 to 101 because ofntheblarge amount of fan complaints from people who had jdm receivers. I'm sure they still do it. I've heard such a chipped receiver and the audio was crystal clear. Big difference from the modulators.

This chipping the receiver thingamajig has been around for some time. I remember A*vance advertising about it way back even before they became a superstar in the industry.

But, would it display the new frequencies on the display Komi? I mean, are they replacing the display too??

Contacted Pet#o and Advance and they are not chipped radios any more :sad-smiley-066:. Reply was only the FM converters available at a cost of 6.5k and 2.5 k respectively.

No need to. Digital displays it adapts. Dunno about the older ones

I had those Recivers Chipped in before for a jdm kenwood player

they messes things up in the radio ur tuning 82.1 FM but in reality ur tuned into 91.2FM something like that

you got to be really good in math to tune the radio channel you want.