• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

According to very credible info the police will be given Subaru legacy wagons (22 units) Impreza(9 units) 9 Yamaha bikes. There will also be 6 Nissan patrols and 8 x-trails for the operations and maintenance team.

Ultimately there will be close to 495 police personnel attached to the expressway police division so GOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

I heard the expressway police have Hyundai's on order. Well, let's see what they actually get...the grand opening is coming soon.

According to very credible info the police will be given Subaru legacy wagons (22 units) Impreza(9 units) 9 Yamaha bikes. There will also be 6 Nissan patrols and 8 x-trails for the operations and maintenance team.

Ultimately there will be close to 495 police personnel attached to the expressway police division so GOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

A new Highway Patrol Unit of the Sri Lanka Police has also been set up and twelve new Hyundai cars have been ordered in readiness. :rolleyes:

-http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2011/09/25/southward-bound-colombo-%E2%80%93-galle-in-55-minutes/

Edited by hyacc

I constantly wonder why they did not cut rumble strips onto the hard shoulders and put reflectors every so many meters on the metal crash barriers. These are simple cheap things that greatly reduce accidents on expressways.

(This is a rumble strip for those who don't know)

rumble%2Bstrip.jpg

http://www.seattlecaraccidentlawyerblog.com/2009/09/rumble_strips_lower_car_accide.html

Probably coz the road itself will soon look like that.

Two schools of thought Big D. IF (and this is a hypothetical if) there is something behind this shoddy Chinese construction rumours, you might want to travel while its new and before bridges and overpasses start collapsing. Bits are supposed to have collapsed already, right?

So if I use the road when new, there's a possibility I might crash, or be crashed into more likely, and if I use the road when old, there's a possibility that I'll crash and burn?

So if I use the road when new, there's a possibility I might crash, or be crashed into more likely, and if I use the road when old, there's a possibility that I'll crash and burn?

either way you are screwed. :D

100kph road without any lights????? I hope they'll sort that out fast cos you can't do 100 in low beams and going on high beams will blind the other buggers doing 100 :P

I don't think most highways in the world are lit up except at the entry and exit points. At least not in my driving experience. Seems to be the same in this case, just imagine the cost of lighting the whole 120km stretch. Only Belgium I think has fully lit highways (if I remember from an old Top Gear episode). The paint used on international standard highways is generally reflector paint that is very clear in the dark, so I am hoping they used the same sort here.

• Like 2

I don't think most highways in the world are lit up except at the entry and exit points. At least not in my driving experience. Seems to be the same in this case, just imagine the cost of lighting the whole 120km stretch. Only Belgium I think has fully lit highways (if I remember from an old Top Gear episode). The paint used on international standard highways is generally reflector paint that is very clear in the dark, so I am hoping they used the same sort here.

'SeanD',

Your post is correct in tunnels are fully lighted.More you add features on to our roads more deposits of passive debt will deposit to our policy makers accounts. There is a road project at the moment planting a tree on that road is costing Rs 12500.00 each, watering separately.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

As a bit of an aside, the UK government have just announced plans to up the motorway speed limits to 80mph (that's just on 130kph) from 2013. The Guardian newspaper reports that:

"The new policy is part of a determined bid to shift the government on to the side of the motorists after successive governments appeared keen to discourage driving."

Their Transport Secretary, Phillip Hammond says:

"Now it is time to put Britain back in the fast lane of global economies and look again at the motorway speed limit which is nearly 50 years old, and out of date thanks to huge advances in safety and motoring technology.

"Increasing the motorway speed limit to 80mph would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times. So we will consult later this year on raising the limit to get Britain moving."

Many UK motorists' comments have been along the lines of "Blimey, I thought the limit was 90mph now!" or "Bad new policy, I'll have to slow down!" :D

Did you get a Ticket?

nope :) i managed to sweet talk my way out :) saying how great the cop was in pointing out that error and how not many people nowadays know these things etc etc.

after about 5mins of buttering up...i was let go :)

Well i went passed the entrance area in kottawa yesterday and it looked like there still is a lot of work to be done. The overpass bridges arnt even built yet, only the concrete beams are there.

Edited by The Stig

Well i went passed the entrance area in kottawa yesterday and it looked like there still is a lot of work to be done. The overpass bridges arnt even built yet, only the concrete beams are there.

Well that's the Phose 2 I believe to connect to "Colombo Pitarun Paraa" to it not going to effct to this opening

Well that's the Phose 2 I believe to connect to "Colombo Pitarun Paraa" to it not going to effct to this opening

Yes, construction of Kottawa Interchange is belong to the OCH (Outer Circular Highway), which is being done by a Chineese contractor. A temporary gate has been completed to facilitate the opening and commissioning of the Southern Expressway (E01) until the OCH work is completed. Heard that couple of hundreds of million spent for this temporary facilities.