• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Road To Batticaloa

Magnum

i went around 6 months ago. Parts of A5 are not in good condition. Even in a van we had to reduce speed to around 40-50kmh and even lower at times. not sure how it is now. If you're from Kandy, it might be quicker though

Took the Dabmulla -> Habarana -> Polonnaruwa -> Valaichenai -> Batti route about 6-7 months ago, route is just a breeze after Polonnaruwa. Wanted to try the Mahiyanganaya route on return but couldn’t. However keep your eyes closely on the speedo coz, cops are just waiting to catch you once you exceed the limit. Caught me twice in Batti.

Took the Dabmulla -> Habarana -> Polonnaruwa -> Valaichenai -> Batti route about 6-7 months ago, route is just a breeze after Polonnaruwa. Wanted to try the Mahiyanganaya route on return but couldn’t. However keep your eyes closely on the speedo coz, cops are just waiting to catch you once you exceed the limit. Caught me twice in Batti.

I have been on that route, after polonnaruwa, the route is lovely but Mahiyanganaya route is much closer

Guys im planning to go to a place near Batticaloa tomorrow, has anyone tried the Mahiyangaya route from kandy to Batticaloa? or is it better to take the usual Polonnaruwa route?

If you want to see some different places of interest on the way (time permitting), like to take in some different scenaries and game enough for bit of bad roads, take the Colombo>Kandy>Mahiyangana>Chenkaladi>Batti route. 18 vangu and the not so popular but interesting Maha Oya hot wells are on this way.

If you prefer a quciker, smoother & straighter drive, take CMB>Habarana> Polonnaruwa>Oddamavadi>Batti route. The occasional elephant/s on road is pretty much the only interesting part, other than cops with speed guns :)

I took the M'gana route when returning from Batti mid last year. On a local guy's advise, after the Mahay Oya hot wells, I took the Aralaganwila road through Maduru Oya national park. Really different topography. Stopped by the Maduru Oya dam within the park. But must say the carpeted road inside the park ends soon after the dam and rest of way to Aralaganwila and from there on to Dehiatakandiya was quite horrendous but I enjoyed the detour. Not recommended unless you want to hurt your car's suspension. May be they've done the roads up now.

You can ofcourse see the Hot wells an then stick to A5 and A26 to M'gana but as NPP mentioned, it might be bad as well.

Enjoy the drive and drive safe :)

Edited by SanjeevMahen

I used to travel along that route to Akkaraipattu up to Deecember last year. The road from Kandy to Mahiyanganaya is very good and from Mahiyanganaya to Padiyatalawa is excellent. It's the best stretch of road I've seen in SL including the E01. you have to take the left turn at 69 junction which leads to Chenkaladi via Periyapullumalai and Karadiyanaru. It's about 50 km drive and the road was in good shape when I used that two years back. I think that might also been improved now.

Mahiyanganaya route has less traffic and especially less traffic police comparing to the other one. Driving from Kandy to Matale is a headache and the Polonnaruwa route is really has more traffic.

BTW If you have time for a bath you have a choice of cool water at Gurulupotha or hot springs at Mahaoya.

I used to travel along that route to Akkaraipattu up to Deecember last year. The road from Kandy to Mahiyanganaya is very good and from Mahiyanganaya to Padiyatalawa is excellent. It's the best stretch of road I've seen in SL including the E01. you have to take the left turn at 69 junction which leads to Chenkaladi via Periyapullumalai and Karadiyanaru. It's about 50 km drive and the road was in good shape when I used that two years back. I think that might also been improved now.

Mahiyanganaya route has less traffic and especially less traffic police comparing to the other one. Driving from Kandy to Matale is a headache and the Polonnaruwa route is really has more traffic.

BTW If you have time for a bath you have a choice of cool water at Gurulupotha or hot springs at Mahaoya.

Could you share some details about Gurulupotha? I like to check it out the next time I head that way....

I've been to Mahaoya hot wells and aren't those waters hot!! Its closer to boiling point and just too hot for me to even wet my feet, let alone bathe...

If you want to see some different places of interest on the way (time permitting), like to take in some different scenaries and game enough for bit of bad roads, take the Colombo>Kandy>Mahiyangana>Chenkaladi>Batti route. 18 vangu and the not so popular but interesting Maha Oya hot wells are on this way.

If you prefer a quciker, smoother & straighter drive, take CMB>Habarana> Polonnaruwa>Oddamavadi>Batti route. The occasional elephant/s on road is pretty much the only interesting part, other than cops with speed guns :)

I took the M'gana route when returning from Batti mid last year. On a local guy's advise, after the Mahay Oya hot wells, I took the Aralaganwila road through Maduru Oya national park. Really different topography. Stopped by the Maduru Oya dam within the park. But must say the carpeted road inside the park ends soon after the dam and rest of way to Aralaganwila and from there on to Dehiatakandiya was quite horrendous but I enjoyed the detour. Not recommended unless you want to hurt your car's suspension. May be they've done the roads up now.

You can ofcourse see the Hot wells an then stick to A5 and A26 to M'gana but as NPP mentioned, it might be bad as well.

Enjoy the drive and drive safe :)

Im going there regarding a business purpose so wouldnt have much time to stop. I know the kandy-Mahiyangana road is fixed but from there onwards how is it? my car is prone to scrape on bumps and potholes alot... :sad-smiley-066:

Edited by Magnum

Ive traveled upto padiyathalawa few months back and road was excellent upto that place. According to my friend working there at padiyathalawa , its ok upto Bati.

@sanjeev, There's another infamous hot water spring at padiyathalawa, which is much more interesting than Maha oya .

Ive traveled upto padiyathalawa few months back and road was excellent upto that place. According to my friend working there at padiyathalawa , its ok upto Bati.

@sanjeev, There's another infamous hot water spring at padiyathalawa, which is much more interesting than Maha oya .

Really? So my next trip that way has a growing list of attractions to cover: Gurulupotha and Padiyathalawa.

But AFAIK there are only three hot water spring locations in SL; Kinniya (Close to Trinco), Maha Oya and Madunagala (close to Mahapelessa which is near Sooriyawewa)

I'm quite road trip and sight seeing addict. Been around quite a bit of our small country and seen several places but it never fails to amuse me with more n more attractions at places I've already been to.....

Edited by SanjeevMahen

Really? So my next trip that way has a growing list of attractions to cover: Gurulupotha and Padiyathalawa.

But AFAIK there are only three hot water spring locations in SL; Kinniya (Close to Trinco), Maha Oya and Madunagala (close to Mahapelessa which is near Sooriyawewa)

I'm quite road trip and sight seeing addict. Been around quite a bit of our small country and seen several places but it never fails to amuse me with more n more attractions at places I've already been to.....

Its about 6-7km from Padiyathlawa town . Its quite different to other places. Water is comming out from a 4-5inch tube fixed to the ground which is about 5-6 feet in height.( Like a larger version of tube well ).