• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi Guys,

If you are using a cool box (Not the one came with the car) could you share the details.

It seems they use at least 3 AMP or higher continuously to keep cooling. When it is being used,

• Do we need to keep the engine running to provide the power needed?

because otherwise the battery will be drained.

• Do you get 0 °C (Zero) and how long does it take to get zero?
  • Could you suggest a brand / or what's yours brand?

Appreciate your replies. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15992-electric-cool-boxes/?hl=refrigerator#entry260160

If its thermoelectric/ Peltier, in a practical setting in our country, I'd doubt you'll get below 15c

Unless you have a dual battery setup, a 3A draw is likely to drain your battery overnight,

it will be harmless for 1-2hours with the engine off, separate fused power via a switch is better than acc, or ignition switch as there is a draw further from the cars electrics, via provided the car starts easy.

Edited by tiv

If its thermoelectric/ Peltier, in a practical setting in our country, I'd doubt you'll get below 15c

What would you suggest if the temperature need to be reduced below 15c? For that case thermoelectric/ Peltier coolers won't be effective isn't it? (As the difference is like 20c? )

Yes, read the linked post, it was discussed a bit there,

It terms of cooling capability the a/c compressor cooled system(built-in coolbox) is ahead.

I was told however if a if a coolbox / refrigerator was fitted from the factory, the compressor is specially equipped to handle a coolbox, therefore if you retrofit a coolbox to a particular vehicle, you need to upgrade it to the correct capable compressor, otherwise the existing compressor with fail in a short period due to excessive load.

As for the thermoelectric cooler, I have used a Toyota branded unit, an OEM upgrade for the Hilux / Fortuner from Thailand, this too couldn't get below 10-15c

However it can hold a canned drink etc cool enough, forget ice though.

Plugs in to the 12v port.