• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Place To Buy Castrol 0W20 Or 5W20 In Sri Lanka

Nilupa

I want to use Castrol 0W20 or 5W20 fully synthetic oil for my vehicle, But it is very hard to find in local service stations.

Do you guys know place where can I buy Castrol 0W20 engine oil in Colombo or Kandy?

Thanks in advance..

PS.

Eventually came to know that manufacturer recommends 5W30 grade oil for MR20DD engine, So, no longer need to worry about finding 0W20.

Edited by Nilupa

If you go on hi level road towards kottawa entrance,theres a big place with "super" in its name on right side.on left side was a big place selling used car seats,after passing this. sorry I don't remember full name and bill is misplaced. There I bought 5W50 Castrol for Audi.but they had many other variants.

What is your vehicle?

I have seen Mobil 0w-20 in many places but never seen castrol. A*W is the castrol agent but probably they do not import 0w-20 as they do not import Nissan or Maruti cars which needs 0w-20 oil.

What is your vehicle?

I have seen Mobil 0w-20 in many places but never seen castrol. A*W is the castrol agent but probably they do not import 0w-20 as they do not import Nissan or Maruti cars which needs 0w-20 oil.

Its Nissan X-trail Hybrid, MR20DD Engine and came to know that manufacture recommends 5W30 grade oil.

Go for Mobil 0w40, they are even better than castrol

I used Mobil (0W20 Fully Synthetic) once before for my Toyota Aqua and feel it is even worse than the toyota motor oil.

So, this time i feel like trying Castrol (EDGE TITANIUM FST 0W30) for X-trail. In owner's manual it recommends 5W30 and using 0W30 won't make any harm if i'm not mistaken right?

0W40 will be too thick for new engine, I suppose,

Edited by Nilupa

Â

I used Mobil (0W20 Fully Synthetic) once before for my Toyota Aqua and feel it is even worse than the toyota motor oil.

Â

So, this time i feel like trying Castrol (EDGE TITANIUM FST 0W30) for X-trail. In owner's manual it recommends 5W30 and using 0W30 won't make any harm if i'm not mistaken right?

Â

0W40 will be too thick for new engine, I suppose,

On what basis do you say Mobil and Toyota engine oils are bad? You people buy all these underpowered hybrids and blaming it on engine oil brands.

Just say why you feel those oils are bad.

On what basis do you say Mobil and Toyota engine oils are bad? You people buy all these underpowered hybrids and blaming it on engine oil brands.

Just say why you feel those oils are bad.

Reason is pretty straight fwd, reduction of pulling power and I used Mobil1 0W20 (Advanced Fuel Economy Product which was only available at the shop)

It doesn't matter whether Aqua is an under power vehicle or not, as I'm just talking about the pulling power reduction after the service and I don't want that to happen to my X-trail.

Mobil1 0W20 oil has many varieties, some of them are optimise for performance while some of them are optimise for fuel economy. But the problem in local market is only certain products are available, not the wide range they produced.

Edited by Nilupa

Reason is pretty straight fwd, reduction of pulling power and I used Mobil1 0W20 (Advanced Fuel Economy Product which was only available at the shop)

It doesn't matter whether Aqua is an under power vehicle or not, as I'm just talking about the pulling power reduction after the service and I don't want that to happen to my X-trail.

Mobil1 0W20 oil has many varieties, some of them are optimise for performance while some of them are optimise for fuel economy. But the problem in local market is only certain products are available, not the wide range they produced.

Machan Nilupa, the pulling power reduction you felt after the service could be completely unrelated to the brand of engine oil you used. As for your Aqua "Toyota Motor Oil SAE 0W-20" is the recommended one in the user manual( Prius C). So it's better to use it, and I don't see any harm in using Mobil either.

Search the forum for more details. These things have been discussed before.

Its Nissan X-trail Hybrid, MR20DD Engine and came to know that manufacture recommends 5W30 grade oil.

1. Who recommends 5W30?

According to the Japanese manual, recommended oil grade is 0W20. (Page 393)

However, using 5W30 will not harm to your engine. But most suitable is 0W20 for the engine clearances.

2. It's strange that you felt pulling power reduction due to low viscosity grade oil. If you observed any sensible pulling power reduction, most probably there may be another reason behind it since pulling power difference due to oil grade is only sensible at the test bench (I mean the difference is very minor).

Edited by gayanath

1. Who recommends 5W30?

According to the Japanese manual, recommended oil grade is 0W20. (Page 393)

However, using 5W30 will not harm to your engine. But most suitable is 0W20 for the engine clearances.

Are you sure about this? oW20,

I do not have japanese manual. Therefore I downloaded English manual from Nissan Thailand website,

https://en.nissan.co.th/content/dam/Nissan/th/owners/OM_HEV_EN.pdf

There in page 9-2 it says "Nissan Motor Oil 5W30 is the best choice" Furthermore, in page 9-3 it says 0W20 also can be used.

But I just checked the Japanese manual and it recommends 0W20 for same engine, :(

Edited by Nilupa

Are you sure about this? oW20,

I do not have japanese manual. Therefore I downloaded English manual from Nissan Thailand website,

https://en.nissan.co.th/content/dam/Nissan/th/owners/OM_HEV_EN.pdf

There in page 9-2 it says "Nissan Motor Oil 5W30 is the best choice" Furthermore, in page 9-3 it says 0W20 also can be used.

This is the path for the manual of Hybrid version.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/SP/OM/X-TRAIL/1511/manual_ht32_t00um-4bc1a.pdf

Go to page 393.

According to next page, no issue using 5W30 and 10W30 though. However, since we are in tropical country, the number before W is not impotant.

Edited by gayanath

This is the path for the manual of Hybrid version.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/SP/OM/X-TRAIL/1511/manual_ht32_t00um-4bc1a.pdf

Go to page 393.

According to next page, no issue using 5W30 and 10W30 though. However, since we are in tropical country, the number before W is not impotant.

Thanks for the link,

Manual of Non Hybrid (T32) japanese manual suggests same 0W20. So, seems it is irrespective of Hybrid or Non Hybrid.

Furthermore in US for Nissan Rogue they recommend 0W20 for gasoline engine.

So, wonder why they recommend 5W30 in Thailand for same engine.

Thanks for the link,

Manual of Non Hybrid (T32) japanese manual suggests same 0W20. So, seems it is irrespective of Hybrid or Non Hybrid.

Furthermore in US for Nissan Rogue they recommend 0W20 for gasoline engine.

So, wonder why they recommend 5W30 in Thailand for same engine.

Actualy, using 0W20 & xxW30 will not give much difference. xxW20 grade developed to reduce engine friction for better millage. However the improvement is withing less tha 1 km/l range, but Japanese manufactures are more concern about the millage per liter due to Japanese and US rules. Hope Thailand government is not bother about the gas millage that much, so the manufacturer recommendations are not more towards that much small improvements. On the other hand, manufactures are bother about the availability of oils in the market. According to Thailand manual, they have even recommends to use xxW40 or xxW50 if xxW20 or 30 not available. Which means no harm to use even higher viscosity grade for instance.

TL also doing same thing. They are filling 10W30 for all hybrids if the customer isn't specially requesting 0W20.

Therefore you may either use 0W20 or 10W30 for your vehicle without any fear.

Since 0W20 or 10W30 is readily available in the Sri Lankan market, no need to go for higher.

I am not depend on the brand and only bother about the API grade and viscosity since all the oils are manufactured using same base. The additives which different from brand to brand will not give much improvement to any engine.

Hope this will clear your doubts.

Edited by gayanath

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Nilupa" data-cid="290544" data-time="1458736285"><p>

<br />

Thanks for the link,<br />

<br />

Manual of Non Hybrid (T32) japanese manual suggests same 0W20. So, seems it is irrespective of Hybrid or Non Hybrid. <br />

<br />

Furthermore in US for Nissan Rogue they recommend 0W20 for gasoline engine. <br />

<br />

So, wonder why they recommend 5W30 in Thailand for same engine. </p></blockquote>

The value before w is increased with environment temperature.

Probably because 5w20 does not exist,they chose next level 5w30?

Off topic,but how in page 394,5 they ask to use Only Nissan CVT fluid,otherwise CVT will be damaged? where can you find it in Sri Lanka?

• 2 weeks later...
Machan Nilupa, the pulling power reduction you felt after the service could be completely unrelated to the brand of engine oil you used. As for your Aqua "Toyota Motor Oil SAE 0W-20" is the recommended one in the user manual( Prius C). So it's better to use it, and I don't see any harm in using Mobil either.

Search the forum for more details. These things have been discussed before.

I know there is no harm in using Mobil 0W20, as 0W20 is recommended by the manufacture.

But even though brand unrelates to the power, viscosity of the oil has a relationship with engine torque and power, as well as the fuel efficiency.

What I said was previously used Mobil 0W20 oil is maximise the fuel efficiency but not the performance. If you still think there is no relationship between viscosity of the oil and engine performance, please google it and see. There are plenty of papers written on it.

In Toyota Lanka they barely use 0W20 unless you request, normally they use 5W30 or something, (In my case I don't exactly know which viscosity grade they put in 1st service as I sent the vehicle with someone else.) In 2nd service, I used 0W20 Mobil. So I am comparing those 2 scenarios and my point is "Mobil 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy" printed oil produce less engine power compared to Toyota Oil.

In Toyota Lanka they barely use 0W20 unless you request, normally they use 5W30 or something, (In my case I don't exactly know which viscosity grade they put in 1st service as I sent the vehicle with someone else.) In 2nd service, I used 0W20 Mobil. So I am comparing those 2 scenarios and my point is "Mobil 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy" printed oil produce less engine power compared to Toyota Oil.

Since you have not specially requested TL to use 0W20, lets assume they have used 10W30 in 1st service as normal practice. 2nd service you have used Mobil 0W20. Then I have 2 questions.

1. Theoretically, lower viscosity oils should give higher power output due to lower internal power consumption (However, the difference should be minor and difficult to feel by the normal road other than racing track). How you explain your observation of Mobil 0W20 has less engine power. ?

2. Your car is Aqua. The pulling power and torque is highly depend on the motor (then, the state of charge of the battery) and engine combination than the engine along by the design itself. As a Aqua user, what I experienced is the car's pulling power differs even when you just start your journey and after few minutes drive due to the charging condition of the battery. In this context, I'm just imagine how sensible you are to feel the minor difference of engine power due to viscosity change?

2. Your car is Aqua. The pulling power and torque is highly depend on the motor (then, the state of charge of the battery) and engine combination than the engine along by the design itself. As a Aqua user, what I experienced is the car's pulling power differs even when you just start your journey and after few minutes drive due to the charging condition of the battery. In this context, I'm just imagine how sensible you are to feel the minor difference of engine power due to viscosity change?

I think he has an Xtrail,not Aqua.

One reason why hybrids have failed to impress,is this variation of pulling power unlike ICE.

This could give deadly consequences if you are doing a time critical maneuver like overtaking,lane change.

I think he has an Xtrail,not Aqua. One reason why hybrids have failed to impress,is this variation of pulling power unlike ICE. This could give deadly consequences if you are doing a time critical maneuver like overtaking,lane change.

If you go through posts #6 and #17 again, Nilupa is comparing the engine oil performance according to his previous car Aqua.

Regarding the Pulling power variation of hybrids,

If we compare same category ICE car with hybrid (I mean Aqua should compare with Vitz or equal and Prius should compare with Allion or equal like wise), the pulling power at lowest is equal or bit higher than ICE car as I experienced. However, Vezel feels slightly under powered not because of being a hybrid, but the capacity of the system.

Anyway, for any car, after you familiar with the power pattern, it will not be an issue for any maneuvering (If so, Maruti alto or nano cannot be used at all). :speechless-smiley-006:

You totally missed my point. Problem is not having less pulling power,but INCONSISTENT pulling power. Not having enough juice when you have decided to overtake a Leyland bus, despite some oncoming traffic in the distance. Well you drive an acqua so probably another road hugger trying to get 50km/l on the road and everyone behind reminding your dear parents,so no point arguing ?

I can 100% confirm that latest toyota hybrids do not have this inconsistent power output. Only older toyota and honda ( insight and civic) hybrids have this issue.

They way how it solved is by not allowing HV battery to go below around 40% charge. So for a quick acceleration, always enough juice is available.

I have tested my Aqua's 0-100 time with different charge levels and it was always 10sec.

However if battery is low, engine will rev more. So you cannot guess acceleration by listening to engine sound.

• Like 1

Problem is not having less pulling power,but INCONSISTENT pulling power.

I think I have well describe this as "the pulling power at lowest is equal or bit higher than ICE car as I experienced". Even though any inconsistent, it's not negative, but positive side in latest technologies.

Well you drive an acqua so probably another road hugger trying to get 50km/l on the road and everyone behind reminding your dear parents,so no point arguing

I think this is obsolete statement now since the fuel saving in harsh driving is also more than enough for the pocket. So I don't know whether any hybrid driver could need to hugging the road. However, there are lot more safe drivers on the road obeying road rules and speed limits and they will not take there vehicles out from the lane to clear the path for headlight and hone morons who are trying to shorten the lives of others .

• 5 years later...