• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Spares for Brand new model Corolla

car 121

You can find it easily, automatic one is easier to find than manual one. But don't go for the Toyotalanka company as they will probably say you that the new gearbox will cost you more than the car value. In past, I've tried to find a manual gearbox for an AE100 and toyotalanka said that the gearbox will cost alone around 1.1 million!!. But you can find a used gearbox for much less cost.

8 minutes ago, WATZDT said:

You can find it easily, automatic one is easier to find than manual one. But don't go for the Toyotalanka company as they will probably say you that the new gearbox will cost you more than the car value. In past, I've tried to find a manual gearbox for an AE100 and toyotalanka said that the gearbox will cost alone around 1.1 million!!. But you can find a used gearbox for much less cost.

thanks for your comment..

but i have already searched in delkanda and there are auto gearboxes for corolla 121 but couldn't find for my brand new model (automatic gearbox with sensor)

(differ from normal 121)

Edited by car 121

15 hours ago, car 121 said:

thanks for your comment..

but i have already searched in delkanda and there are auto gearboxes for corolla 121 but couldn't find for my brand new model (automatic gearbox with sensor)

(differ from normal 121)

Doesn't the JDM gearbox match the export market gearbox? What's the difference?

Since recon spares are imported from Japan i figure it will not be easy to find a recon non-JDM  gearbox from recon spare parts shops.

19 hours ago, WATZDT said:

Well...to be fair..you need to understand what the agents can do for you and what they will be actual giving you. If you go to an agent what they will give you is a brand new part from the factory. The agents (at least most that I know of...) will not sell you a used part due to quality control requirements (along with they will not let you bring in parts for them to install nor, in certain cases and parts itself, give you the part to be taken to another garage for fixing).

In Toyota Japan a brand new gearbox for an E100 Corolla is about 300,000yen plus delivery charges. Then you add shipping to Colombo and the duty and clearing charges at the SL end...the cost does rack up even before the local agent adds a mark-up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...to be fair..you need to understand what the agents can do for you and what they will be actual giving you. If you go to an agent what they will give you is a brand new part from the factory. The agents (at least most that I know of...) will not sell you a used part due to quality control requirements (along with they will not let you bring in parts for them to install nor, in certain cases and parts itself, give you the part to be taken to another garage for fixing).

In Toyota Japan a brand new gearbox for an E100 Corolla is about 300,000yen plus delivery charges. Then you add shipping to Colombo and the duty and clearing charges at the SL end...the cost does rack up even before the local agent adds a mark-up.

Yes, What you are saying is correct but only on the facts. But, it is not useful for the most people. no one will buy only an E100 gearbox for a price of 1 million. He can buy another AE100 for that price. In the practical sense what you are saying is not useful, even the toyotalanka people were suggesting me to buy a used gearbox from a local store and to fix it. May be some of the government maintained vehicle are using these brand new authorized spares due to their quality regulations, but still these people too are doing that to get a big commission and not because of the actual value of those authorized spares.

Edited by WATZDT

50 minutes ago, WATZDT said:

Yes, What you are saying is correct but only on the facts. But, it is not useful for the most people. no one will buy only an E100 gearbox for a price of 1 million. He can buy another AE100 for that price. In the practical sense what you are saying is not useful, even the toyotalanka people were suggesting me to buy a used gearbox from a local store and to fix it. May be some of the government maintained vehicle are using these brand new authorized spares due to their quality regulations, but still these people too are doing that to get a big commission and not because of the actual value of those authorized spares.

You missed my point ! Which is why you only see my post as mere facts but don't realize what the facts actually would mean ! 

Just because you can buy an E100 Corolla for 1.4 mil Rs. in the local market; it does not mean that the agent is going to sell the part for a far lesser price than what it cost does it ? Does not make business sense ! On the other hand you can't expect the agent to sell cheap parts as it might have negative impacts on its quality standards (for example if they used an ld gearbox...perhaps the comment would be that the agent put in a broken old gearbox instead of a brand new one which costs 1mil)

So if one does his/her homework it would be obvious that going to the Toyota agent for a brand new gearbox for a 20+ year old car does not make sense !  The fact that you are missing is that...it is what it is ! Whether it is practical for you or not depends on your circumstances ! Actually doing so is the car owner's choice. FYI : I know quite a few people in Japan who have had their gearboxes, engines, etc...replaced at 250000 - 300000yen per part (some because of the emotional connection, some because the parts were still cheaper than buying  a brand new car when compared to usage and RoI ). Because....even if you go for a used part, it is only marginally cheaper than the brand new parts and when factoring in the cost of installation and the lack of warranty etc...you might as well go for the brand new one from the agent...Because...the market is not flooded with cheap used parts that are ripped out with power tools....because sub-standards parts from China are not flooding the market. 

This is one of many reasons why people in a lot of countries dispose of their old cars; out of practicality and necessity not necessarily out of showing off to the neighbors a new number-plate. It is simply not economically viable to keep them running both in maintenance and regulatory terms. This is a simple reality that we Sri Lankans seem to not realize or appreciate and are simply indifferent towards; because, we have the option of using old cars (with no significant economic or regulatory implications irrespective of what the condition of the car is) and used parts (irrespective of condition and its safety) and brand new parts (from originals to knock offs) flood the market.

So the agent advised you accordingly, the agent did not try to lure you in to buying the part, the agent did not compromise itself by accepting your used gearbox. The only shocker is that you expected a brand new part like a gearbox for dirt cheap. If you see how 99.999% of the parts at the usual used car places are taken off and the cars that they come off of...you will see why the used gearbox was probably 1/10th - 1/8th the price of the brand new one

Edited by iRage

3 minutes ago, iRage said:

You missed my point ! Which is why you only see my post as mere facts but don't realize what the facts actually would mean ! 

Just because you can buy an E100 Corolla for 1.4 mil Rs. in the local market; it does not mean that the agent is going to sell the part for a far lesser price than what it cost does it ? Does not make business sense ! On the other hand you can't expect the agent to sell cheap parts as it might have negative impacts on its quality standards (for example if they used an ld gearbox...perhaps the comment would be that the agent put in a broken old gearbox instead of a brand new one which costs 1mil)

So if one does his/her homework it would be obvious that going to the Toyota agent for a brand new gearbox for a 20+ year old car does not make sense ! Actually doing so is the car owner's choice. 

This is one of many reasons why people in a lot of countries dispose of their old cars; out of practicality and necessity not necessarily out of showing off to the neighbors a new number-plate. It is simply not economically viable to keep them running both in maintenance and regulatory terms. This is a simple reality that we Sri Lankans seem to not realize or appreciate and are simply indifferent towards; because, we have the option of using old cars (with no significant economic or regulatory implications irrespective of what the condition of the car is) and used parts (irrespective of condition and its safety) and brand new parts (from originals to knock offs) flood the market.

FYI : I know quite a few people in Japan who have had their gearboxes, engines, etc...replaced at 250000 - 300000yen per part (some because of the emotional connection, some because the parts were still cheaper than buying  a brand new car when compared to usage and RoI ). Heck..I replaced the shocks in my Corolla Wagon and that cost 190,000yen (a car that cost 525,000yen to buy...but nearly 300,000yen to register and run).

Hmm.. That explains further more why we are still buying these ancients cars on the price that even their manufactures would be surprised. Sri Lanka might be  the only country which is having this much of hyper inflated used car market. :)

If finding a complete gearbox is impossible (or is prohibitively expensive), can you not dismantle the existing gearbox (by someone who specializes in automatic gearbox repairs) find the part(s) which needs replacing, and import them yourself through a reputed supplier and rebuild it?

There are separate parts catalogs available depending on the market the vehicle was intended to be sold such as: 

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/toyota/corolla

If not, then maybe another option would be to buy a condemned car from an auction.....