Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sandblasting Service


G-SILVA
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sandblasting service (mobile and in-house) is now available in Sri Lanka. This the best way to clean the rusted surfaces. Vehicle chassis, Bodies, Heavy-duty Machineries, JCB/Excavator/Tractors), Three wheels and any type of metal structures.

 

This is not just for marketing but we are happy to give advice for any sandblasting related questions
 

##Post Moderated##

@G-SILVA Advertising in AL Forum is prohibited. Please use AL Classifieds section (which is free for parts & automotive services) or else visit Corporate Advertising page for more details.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not the best way to clean rust off surfaces. In fact this is probably the worst.

Yes, you will get rid of rust by sandblasting, BUT

1. sandblasting generates heat at the panel, which causes the panel to warp. A warped chassis is nothing short of a death warrant

2. Unless the technician who does the sandblasting is highly trained, you will end up having a heavily damaged panel. People in this country don't even know how to use an HP washer, let alone a sand blaster. Do you want to take that risk?

3. Like Gayanath pointed out, minute sand particles (or other particles used for sand blasting) is an environmental hazard as well as carcinogenic. Companies such as Levis used to sandblast their denims to get a faded look in the past but they don't do that anymore because of this reason.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 8:53 PM, gayanath said:

How you control dust emission? 

I mean is this environment friendly ? 

 

We have dustless blasting equipment, basically it add water into the nozzle, but the only issue is rust inhibitor is not available in Sri Lanka. We could possibly import from UK or US but again not really an affordable solution for end users. We are currently planning to find if possibly we could make the rust inhibitor within the SL.

Answer to your question - it’s currently be done in an industrial area and we use clean sand (no river/sea sand) and recycle all materials afterwards. Blasting technicians are fully protected with blasting helmet and dedicated felted air supply all time. Sand has been washed and dried to minimize the dust (small particles) and we are only using 200 to 500 Microns spec, particles has no enough kinetic energy to travel longer, after hitting the surface it basically fall down the vicinity which can be collected and reused (if required)

 

As far as I concern this is not 100% environment-friendly (I would doubt if sandblast would ever be 100%), but we do our best to protect and be responsible. In near future, we are moving to dustless blasting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2017 at 1:21 AM, Crosswind said:

This is not the best way to clean rust off surfaces. In fact this is probably the worst.

Yes, you will get rid of rust by sandblasting, BUT

1. sandblasting generates heat at the panel, which causes the panel to warp. A warped chassis is nothing short of a death warrant

2. Unless the technician who does the sandblasting is highly trained, you will end up having a heavily damaged panel. People in this country don't even know how to use an HP washer, let alone a sand blaster. Do you want to take that risk?

3. Like Gayanath pointed out, minute sand particles (or other particles used for sand blasting) is an environmental hazard as well as carcinogenic. Companies such as Levis used to sandblast their denims to get a faded look in the past but they don't do that anymore because of this reason.

 

 

I do agree sandblasting may not be the Best way to remove rust! but the next other option Chemical Dip can cause more damage to the environment, and it can get into the places that cannot be guaranteed removed completely. Really like to see

 other good options if available.

Blasting technicians have been trained properly, and yes I agree that it can damage the surface if you not carful and not using the correct equipment under optimum condign. Blasting grit, nozzle size, presser, and CFM are very important facts which need to be controlled appropriately.  

If you do an assessment beforehand, and it is possible to achieve a better job with good skill. I understand your concern as if the wrong person got the wrong equipment but they should be doing this professionally.

I have seen some body shops use oxygen lap to heat the surface to remove old body filer and corrosion – of cause its wrong practice   

Good to see the feedbacks and certainly a valid chat.. we do lean lessons every day obviously and  please to take your inputs home and improve things   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, G-SILVA said:

We have dustless blasting equipment, basically it add water into the nozzle, but the only issue is rust inhibitor is not available in Sri Lanka. We could possibly import from UK or US but again not really an affordable solution for end users. We are currently planning to find if possibly we could make the rust inhibitor within the SL.

Answer to your question - it’s currently be done in an industrial area and we use clean sand (no river/sea sand) and recycle all materials afterwards. Blasting technicians are fully protected with blasting helmet and dedicated felted air supply all time. Sand has been washed and dried to minimize the dust (small particles) and we are only using 200 to 500 Microns spec, particles has no enough kinetic energy to travel longer, after hitting the surface it basically fall down the vicinity which can be collected and reused (if required)

 

As far as I concern this is not 100% environment-friendly (I would doubt if sandblast would ever be 100%), but we do our best to protect and be responsible. In near future, we are moving to dustless blasting

Appreciate your attitudes. 

1. Didn't  you build an enclosed space (blasting chamber) in your workshop.

2. Since vehicle parts are not huge, you could build a mobile blasting chamber (mounted on a truck) for mobile service as well. 

It will solve lot of environment problems as well as help for proper sand recycling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2017 at 8:57 AM, gayanath said:

Appreciate your attitudes. 

1. Didn't  you build an enclosed space (blasting chamber) in your workshop.

2. Since vehicle parts are not huge, you could build a mobile blasting chamber (mounted on a truck) for mobile service as well. 

It will solve lot of environment problems as well as help for proper sand recycling.

 

Gayanath, 

It is a covered area, and I must admit not fully enclosed like a paint booth. We tried a fully covered room, but its visibility was absolutely poor, the technician can not see a thing.:) I think it is to do with lighting and poor efficiency of our extractor fans they are pretty big, though. We would really need full-scale wind tunnel type room and then series of other issues kiki in as we need a practical separator etc... for small items, we can use the blasting cabinet (hope you have seen it which you put your hands in over a glove)

I like your mobile chamber option and will look into that actually.

(not to show off B)) I'm currently working here in the UK and looking for some better options which we could employ in back home Sri Lanka. I have trained our guys with some DVD training program and one-to-one type. 

Thanks again  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wrav002 said:

Hi, I am planning to strip my 1971 ford escort Mk1 late this year. What sort of money we are talking about to sand blast coming to my place in Gampaha? Thanks..

 

Hiyaa.. Thanks for the request. I would be most grateful if you could possibly send us an email [email protected]

or find our web www.gsilvasandblasting.com.  

I would keep the business out of this forum !! :D 

Many Thanks

Gayan  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...