• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing oil filter every other oil change

Jor-el

So I change my engine oil every 5000km/6 months. (conventional oil) Most of the time the car runs about 3000-3500km in 6 months time span.

Oil filter is replaced every other oil change.

Do you guys think I should change the oil filter every time I change the oil? Manufacturer recommended oil change interval is 15k km/12mo under normal conditions, 5k km /6mo under severe conditions.

I always use the genuine oil filter - not VIC or Sakura ones.

This is one of those questions where it boils down to personal opinions. So my opinion is that it's fine to change the filter during every other oil change because you're using a genuine filter + your oil filter has only really worked for 3000 - 3500 km between two oil changes - which is only just above the half mark of a filter's recommended lifetime.

However, if the filter doesn't cost that much I'd just change it. Mainly for peace of mind. How much is the genuine filter anyway? Also, why not use a cheaper VIC filter and change it at every oil change?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davy said:

This is one of those questions where it boils down to personal opinions. So my opinion is that it's fine to change the filter during every other oil change because you're using a genuine filter + your oil filter has only really worked for 3000 - 3500 km between two oil changes - which is only just above the half mark of a filter's recommended lifetime.

However, if the filter doesn't cost that much I'd just change it. Mainly for peace of mind. How much is the genuine filter anyway? Also, why not use a cheaper VIC filter and change it at every oil change?

Genuine Mitsubishi oil filter costs 2300/= at the agent, plus +580/= as the labor charge for installation

Well I thought about using a VIC filter but then I'll lose my peace of mind even further, knowing there's a non-genuine part installed :D 

18 hours ago, Jor-el said:

Genuine Mitsubishi oil filter costs 2300/= at the agent, plus +580/= as the labor charge for installation

Well I thought about using a VIC filter but then I'll lose my peace of mind even further, knowing there's a non-genuine part installed :D 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with VIC oil filters. In fact they're Japanese, and as good or better than genuine ones. I've used VIC on my CS3 for as long as I had it (I even remember the VIC part number still. It's C-415). :)

1 hour ago, Jor-el said:

You sure VIC ones are as good as OEM?

It looks like genuine one has better filter material tho

Erm... No, that video clearly shows how good the VIC filter is compared to the Denso one. The VIC filter has a folded filter element that has more surface area, while the Denso one seems to be having a thick spongy element that can restrict the flow of oil. While the primary function of the filter is to trap debris in the oil, it should also allow for a smooth oil flow.  I'm not saying that the Denso one doesn't do that, but comparing these two particular filters, I'd rather go for the VIC which has a better element design. 

Also, have a look at this video of a Denso filter that has the same design of the VIC one and note the number of folds in the filter element compared to the VIC.