• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suggestion required

HKYR

Hi All,

I am in search of a use car (Approx. below 1.6 m) for day to day use. I drive approx. 40 kms per day to/from office therefore vehicle should be good in Fuel Consumption.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Regards 

• Like 1

1. Alto 800

2. Maruti 800

3. Perodua Kelisa

4. Toyota Starlet*

5. Toyota Tercel/Corsa/Corolla II*

6. Fiat Punto

7. Toyota AE100*

*Although these cars will have good fuel economy in theory, most of these are 20+ years old and their engine condition will greatly affect the fuel economy. Also their overall condition will affect the maintenance cost.

• Like 1

I too have the same exact requirement as @HKYR (1.6m budget, 40km daily drive)

Since I already got manuals, I was thinking about going for an automatic for the daily driver. My priorities are

1) Safety
2) Economy
3) Features (Auto, ABS, PS, PW, AC would be sufficient. Air bags are a plus)
4) Parts Availability
5) Durability/Dependability
6) Looks

The Japanese alto that came around 2003 seemed to be a good choice, but today I saw I can get a diesel 1997 corolla wagon (a touring model if I get lucky) for about 1.7 mil. Since I'm clueless about diesels, I have no idea how this car would compare to the alto regarding the economy. (fuel + maintenance) It seem to beat the alto in every other aspect except for the year it came out.

What would you guys suggest? Is the diesel 1997 corolla wagon a sensible option for someone looking for a economical daily driver?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, dbombuwala said:

I too have the same exact requirement as @HKYR (1.6m budget, 40km daily drive)

Since I already got manuals, I was thinking about going for an automatic for the daily driver. My priorities are

1) Safety
2) Economy
3) Features (Auto, ABS, PS, PW, AC would be sufficient. Air bags are a plus)
4) Parts Availability
5) Durability/Dependability
6) Looks

The Japanese alto that came around 2003 seemed to be a good choice, but today I saw I can get a diesel 1997 corolla wagon (a touring model if I get lucky) for about 1.7 mil. Since I'm clueless about diesels, I have no idea how this car would compare to the alto regarding the economy. (fuel + maintenance) It seem to beat the alto in every other aspect except for the year it came out.

What would you guys suggest? Is the diesel 1997 corolla wagon a sensible option for someone looking for a economical daily driver?

Thanks in advance

Yes, if you can find one in good nick. Also do note that most of the Corolla Wagons of that era were made as delivery vehicles. If you can find a one that was made as a passenger vehicle (Touring versions), you will be much better off.

I doubt whether you will be able to find ABS, PW, PS in most corolla wagons.

You cannot compare the model names of 20-30 yr old cars and determine what would give you more economy. A lot will depend on the actual car's condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Yes, if you can find one in good nick. Also do note that most of the Corolla Wagons of that era were made as delivery vehicles. If you can find a one that was made as a passenger vehicle (Touring versions), you will be much better off.

You cannot compare the model names of 20-30 yr old cars and determine what would give you more economy. A lot will depend on the actual car's condition.

Thanks @Crosswind. I just returned from a car sale after taking a look at one. The engine was surprisingly smooth and quiet for a diesel (at least that's how I felt), but as you said it was the garden variety model. The interior was not to my liking. And there was this tiny vibration on low RPMs. Any idea if that's normal for a diesel? I'm not used to diesels at all, so I have no idea what the norms are.

Will keep an eye out for a G or L touring model. I recon the G version is the higher grade.

3 hours ago, Crosswind said:

The thing is in SL we call both the Corolla van and the Wagon variants Corolla Wagon. If you are going for a Corolla wagon make sure that it actually is a WAGON variant by checking the model/frame code. Quite a few of the "Touring" and "Wagon" in the country are actually Corolla "van" (garden variety as OP had called it) converted with halfcuts/geddi/donor cars/what-ever you want to call it.

If you find an ACTUAL "Touring wagon" then you would get ABS, PW, PS. If you go for a van variant (DX, GL) or a "commercial wagon (L, L Extra) then you would only get PS and PW for the front and some got ABS as an option.

1 hour ago, dbombuwala said:

Will keep an eye out for a G or L touring model. I recon the G version is the higher grade.

No...that would be the BZ Touring with a 1600cc 4A-GE engine. Seen only 2 actual BZ Tourings in SL and another one which is a diesel van with the body of donor BZ touring from Japan.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

If you find an ACTUAL "Touring wagon" then you would get ABS, PW, PS. If you go for a van variant (DX, GL) or a "commercial wagon (L, L Extra) then you would only get PS and PW for the front and some got ABS as an option.

Thanks @iRage this would help me tremendously.

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

No...that would be the BZ Touring with a 1600cc 4A-GE engine. Seen only 2 actual BZ Tourings in SL and another one which is a diesel van with the body of donor BZ to

I was actually looking for a diesel since I needed one that's more or less comparable in economy with a Japanese Alto. In that case, I think my only options are to go for a G or L touring with a 2C engine. I hope they came with factory fitted diesels.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:30 PM, dbombuwala said:

Thanks @iRage this would help me tremendously.

I was actually looking for a diesel since I needed one that's more or less comparable in economy with a Japanese Alto. In that case, I think my only options are to go for a G or L touring with a 2C engine. I hope they came with factory fitted diesels.

Yes...if you want all the bells and whistles then you need to go for a G or L Touring Wagon. A normal van and commercial wagons came in diesels but don't meet your requirement for the options/accessories.

Finding a good Touring Wagon on the other hand is easier said than done.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes...if you want all the bells and whistles then you need to go for a G or L Touring Wagon. A normal van and commercial wagons came in diesels but don't meet your requirement for the options/accessories.

I could live with only PS and ABS. PW and Airbags would be a plus though. I do like the design of the wagon models, but since this is going to be a daily runner, I guess function over form.

56 minutes ago, iRage said:

Finding a good Touring Wagon on the other hand is easier said and done.

Will keep my eyes peeled. I'm in no hurry and have my two trouble makers to keep me company. But getting too old for manuals in traffic. Thanks so much for your help guys. You are awesome.

Hi Everyone,

Many Thanks for all your suggestions/expertise. How about a Toyota Soluna? I found one on a sunday paper. YOM is 2001 and registered in 2006, price is less than 1.6 mln. It is a toyota, registered in 2006 and the price is very low. The car is in good condition carefully used. It is a manual. BUT I am a bit worried about the low price. 

2 hours ago, HKYR said:

Hi Everyone,

Many Thanks for all your suggestions/expertise. How about a Toyota Soluna? I found one on a sunday paper. YOM is 2001 and registered in 2006, price is less than 1.6 mln. It is a toyota, registered in 2006 and the price is very low. The car is in good condition carefully used. It is a manual. BUT I am a bit worried about the low price. 

Why ?

The Soluna is a decent car. Engine and components were shared with other Toyota cars "made in Japan". It lacks the refinement and sophistication of some of the Japanese models of the same class but the car seems to take abuse quite well. Most Sri Lankans don't fancy it because it was "Made in Thailand" and also the belief that body parts, etc are a bit less common.

58 minutes ago, HKYR said:

Thank You all. I decided to go with the Soluna option. The car is in very good shape. 

Before you complete the transaction I would strongly recommend you get it checked out by the agents or an independent car checking/inspection place; if you haven't one so already that is....