• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda RX 8

all!on

Question

2 answers to this question

don't own one but a very close friend had a 2004 Type S that he sold off about 3 years ago.

Engine flooding was the biggest issue which was a pain to sort out as the car would not start. Lots of problems with the suspension as the cars run on 18'ns and with high mileage on them now they lots of wear and tear. Build quality on some of the early cars were also not great - lots of rattling and bits and bobs falling off. Electrical problems.

I would not recommend one as a daily driver- as a weekend car, I wouldn't mind having one if I had deep pockets and time on my hands to keep it in top shape. Also very difficult to find one which hasn't been abused. Lots of these have been hacked by boy racers.

But it was a fabulous car to drive - had loads of fun with it.

• Like 1

Yeap, IMHO Mazda made a bit of a blunder with the RX-8, overshadowed by its own brilliant products such as the RX-7 and the MX-5. They tried to make more of a GT car rather than a pure sports car and also tried to keep the unreliable fuel guzzling rotary engine going in its product line-up.

These days they are mostly good for engine swaps, even that`s a bit difficult since the front sub-frame is designed to take the rotary. :D 

Edited by MrCat