Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

need your recommendation for buying a Prius used car


Ranuk
 Share

Question

Hi,

first of all really sorry if i'm opening a thread
that already discuss. (i'm very new to here) :D

I'm planing to buy a used Toyota Prius 2011-2012 models which is 40-60k KM done.. I would like to know is there is any risk buying a Prius which is already 60k KM done ?  I mean i know that buying a second hand is really risk.. just want to know some technical issue or is anyone facing any serious problems with this car? really appreciate haring your experience and recommendations.  by the way my budget is under 5.2M 

 

Thank you so much
Ranuka

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Well the biggest concern buying a hybrid should be the battery health and cost to replace it. Get the battery health checked and see how much it would cost you to replace the required cells over your usage period.
Check how much you save monthly on fuel vs a conventional car and see if that saving is more than the cost to replace better cells at the end of your ownership. If you are not doing high miles in most cases it won't make much financial sense.
Also there are loads of abused Uber and PickMe priuses, so be mindfully of how the car was used previously.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, The Stig said:

Well the biggest concern buying a hybrid should be the battery health and cost to replace it. Get the battery health checked and see how much it would cost you to replace the required cells over your usage period.
Check how much you save monthly on fuel vs a conventional car and see if that saving is more than the cost to replace better cells at the end of your ownership. If you are not doing high miles in most cases it won't make much financial sense.
Also there are loads of abused Uber and PickMe priuses, so be mindfully of how the car was used previously.

Thank you so much for the info..appreciate it..  Will keep that in mind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I would personally stay away from a hybrid with a 6 year old battery ageing faster in our hotter climate compared to Japan. if I keep it for 2 more years,I will have to bear the burden/ headache of battery replacement where the previous owner has squeezed out the full juice/benefitt of fuel savings. And it will be even more difficult to sell after 2 years,without replacing the battery.

Edited by vag2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
35 minutes ago, vag2 said:

I would personally stay away from a hybrid with a 6 year old battery ageing faster in our hotter climate compared to Japan. if I keep it for 2 more years,I will have to bear the burden/ headache of battery replacement where the previous owner has squeezed out the full juice/benefitt of fuel savings. And it will be even more difficult to sell after 2 years,without replacing the battery.

I beg to differ from your argument. When you buy a 6 year old hybrid you always factor in the depreciation of the battery in your purchase price. You should do the same at the point of reselling. Then you would not have an issue in reselling. Moreover the battery capacity can be evaluated for you to take an objective decision. Also you need not replace a whole battery. Like all other parts you get used batteries from Japan here in SL. You may get faulty cells or the whole battery replaced at a reasonable price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
29 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

I beg to differ from your argument. When you buy a 6 year old hybrid you always factor in the depreciation of the battery in your purchase price. You should do the same at the point of reselling. Then you would not have an issue in reselling. Moreover the battery capacity can be evaluated for you to take an objective decision. Also you need not replace a whole battery. Like all other parts you get used batteries from Japan here in SL. You may get faulty cells or the whole battery replaced at a reasonable price.

of course,those who want to go through the hassle of checking the battery and deciding if full or partial replacement is needed can buy a 6year old hybrid. And this is in addition to the maintenance of Motor generator,inverter and usual parts including the combustion engine. I don't want that headache so I will stay with a non-hybrid until I can afford a new hybrid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

The millage you expect with 6 year old will be hard to find out. Specially most of them came as reconditioned. If you really need wait until budget. There is discussion of reduce engine capacity tax.  With your budget then you may find slightly newer one.  Good luck ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Since there is a mention specially about hybrid battery, Here is my experience, 

You need to check both battery heath and hybrid system as well. You can get this done from a good service center.

As i know it is  better to do hybrid battery service as well before it is going to affect you battery cells. Specially for 3rd gen. It will cost around 10-14k. They are checking cell by cell. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...