• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Swift Beetle (Indian) Vs Peugeot 307

sovi

Question

Hi guys,

I am planning to go for a hatch back in the price range of 1.5m to 2 m

My concerns are

- Reliability ( + Maintenance frequency )

-Comfort & safety ( lower benchmark is alto Indian)

-Spare parts availability & cost ( I live in Colombo but frequently drive outstations )

Also I do not want to face unexpected breakdowns in long journeys.

I have shortlisted Suzuki swift beetle (Indian ) (2006-2007) n Peugeot 307 (2002 -2004) & i need your valuable support to finalize my decision.

I do not interested on March as it is too small for me.

Will I have to suicide if i buy a 307...?????? :o ( According to most of the people)

Appreciate your valuable comments.

Thanks

Sovi

3 answers to this question

OMG, people are comparing Indian with European now? this is getting more hilarious than the thread about C-HR vs Audi Q2.

The Pug,though older will be more advanced with more options than the newer Indian rust bucket and give you more ride comfort,better handling and more protection if it crashes(god forbid). But you will have to accept the weak resale market and the Auto-transmission related problems due to overheating that Pugs of this era had. or Is it a manual?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ajm said:

OMG, people are comparing Indian with European now? this is getting more hilarious than the thread about C-HR vs Audi Q2.

The Pug,though older will be more advanced with more options than the newer Indian rust bucket and give you more ride comfort,better handling and more protection if it crashes(god forbid). But you will have to accept the weak resale market and the Auto-transmission related problems due to overheating that Pugs of this era had. or Is it a manual?

Hi ajm,

Thank u for your comments.

Suzuki beetle modle has the same appearance as the Jap model & was doubtful about the performances.That's why I raised the question here. I never doubt about the Pug performances but in SL context if it gives frequent  breakdowns (As most people say), then I will have to consider about the Indian crap...

BTW I m considering about a manual as I'hv heard worst stuffs about the triptronic.

Thanks

On 11/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, sovi said:

Hi ajm,

Thank u for your comments.

Suzuki beetle modle has the same appearance as the Jap model & was doubtful about the performances.That's why I raised the question here. I never doubt about the Pug performances but in SL context if it gives frequent  breakdowns (As most people say), then I will have to consider about the Indian crap...

BTW I m considering about a manual as I'hv heard worst stuffs about the triptronic.

Thanks

The Swift Japanese and Indian models look the same however most of the similarities stop there. I believe there are some differences in suspension and emission control systems. Also, the interior materials used are slightly different (obviously the Japanese one is better). The biggest difference, and the biggest deterrence from the Indian model,  is that the Indian Swift has a poor safety rating. Although the frame and body panels are the same, it fairs fairly low because it does not have the air bags and a few other safety features available in the Japanese Swift. So, if you want a Swift...spend a bit more and buy a Japanese variant.

On 11/24/2017 at 7:13 PM, ajm said:

Well...at first glance I too did think the comparison was hilarious. However, when you think about it; in this day and age it is to be expected and is not really funny. The comparison becomes reasonable because of several factors. For starters European brands are branching out in to less "prestigious" and exclusive markets; markets where the masses exist. So although a brand, or even European cars in general, might have had an image of exclusivity and/or performance (or fun to drive); it doesn't mean that the products from these brands are necessarily still delivering on that exclusivity and performance orientation (especially for something like a Peugeot or Renault or Citreon).  Also Japanese brands are branching up (so are the Koreans). So whilst the whole "heritage" factor of the brand name might not be there the product at the end of the day could be quite performance oriented and fun to drive. Working in their favor, the Japanese have the perception of being more reliable and robust (which to a certain extent is true but also to a certain extent is just a perception).

So the whole, European cars can't be compared against Japanese brands died somewhere in the 90s. So...nothing wrong to compare a CHR with a Q2 as it is in the same segment. Its just a matter of whether one is willing to spend more on the brand image and what that image is perceived to be.

On the other hand most of the European brands manufacture their mass market cars in regions such as South East Asia and even India. Thus, just because the brand is European it does not mean the product is immune to any of the cost cutting or the reliability issues which has cast a shadow over the Japanese brands manufacturing in the same region.

For the record..I don't know what the Pug would be more advanced in; however, the Japanese Swift is a pretty fun car to drive..and has a good ride, sporty feel, and comes well equipped and is well built.