• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

...and The Saga Continues

fuzzo

Question

my car (mazda) was back at the agents today for a miss/hesitation and a slight heating issue.

their conclusion on the problem: bad fuel.

details: aparently there is a cylinder imbalance in my car (no idea what that means) the reason is because my spark plugs have rust on them and thus causing the miss. The kicker is that these spark plugs were replaced less than a month ago. so i asked them why the spark plugs would rust in a month. they came up with "there is a high content of water in your fuel tank"

aparently this is the 2nd vehicle they have gotten this week with this issue. the first vehicle was a new vehicle from indra, the new owner had pumped full tank of fuel and had travelled less than 1 km before the car died. they had opened it up and found water in the fuel tank. that owner is trying to sue the fuel station.

as for me, they believe that i have the same issue coz i pump at the same station and hence the reason for the rusted plugs.

wgat do you guys think? bsflag.gif

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ok people.. the saga has finally come to an end. I took the car to Tuned i -chips and the Don Z along with quicksilver diagnosed the problem.

I had bad injectors, short and simple. Once this was replaced, car is running smooth.

Thanks Zakie and Shamil.

lol not jumping the gun but fuzzo has never pumped 95 in his life!

actually these days i pump 95 coz i can't be bothered waiting in the 90 oct. line :P

ok people.. the saga has finally come to an end. I took the car to Tuned i -chips and the Don Z along with quicksilver diagnosed the problem.

I had bad injectors, short and simple. Once this was replaced, car is running smooth.

Thanks Zakie and Shamil.

actually these days i pump 95 coz i can't be bothered waiting in the 90 oct. line :)

Soon there's gonna be 85oct, at a cheaper price. :P

if we are getting such bad quality pertrol as 95 octane i dont wana even think about what we'll get as 85oct

We wont be able to run on 85oct anyway.... it's just for the 3-wheel drivers at a lower price.

oooh ok. so fuzzo does this mean there's no issue on a certain fuel station pumping water insted of petrol???

yes that was just a load of BS that the agents came up with.

Fuzz, did they also increase your rev cut-off and turn your variable valve timing on early?

no machan..it's going in for that next week... then quicksilver will have some competition...

Received an email regarding the "water mixed petrol" issue, apparently authored by the victimized party... Its a long but thought provoking read...

Dear Colleagues,

In the interest of all my colleagues at Lion Brewery & also from other companies of the Carsons Group, it behooves me to pen this e-mail at this juncture.

On Saturday June 3rd, I went through a experience that continues even to date to cause me immense pain of mind, not to mention time, money, energy & effort wasted.

Just accepting delivery of a Mazda Motor Car that I purchased the very same day (03/06), I proceeded to the Horton Place/ St. Bridget's Convent Petrol Shed (Felix Perera & Son Petrol Shed) belonging to Lanka IOC to pump petrol & pumped a full tank of petrol. I drove out of the petrol shed & proceeded passing Cinnamon Gardens Police to my residence in Wellawatte. Right in front of the Colombo University my vehicle stalled & stopped in the middle of the road. With the help of some University students I pushed the car to the road side & attempted to re-start without success. It occurred to me at that time, could the pump-man have accidentally pumped diesel instead of petrol & thus I immediately rushed in another vehicle to the petrol shed. It was gladdening at that moment to ascertain that the pump-man had not pumped petrol, but had correctly pumped Octane 95 petrol. So then what could have been the problem that my car stopped dead on me just approximately 1 km away from the very petrol shed that I only a few minutes ago pumped petrol?

Luckily for me I had the presence of mind at that time to take the pump-man to the spot where the car was stopped together with mechanics from the Company that I purchased the vehicle. The mechanics cranked the engine and squirted petrol into 3 clear plastic disposable empty water bottles & lo & behold there appeared to be no petrol, but instead a colourless aqueous liquid which appeared to be water in the main, which the pump-man too agreed was mainly water & prima facie no visible sign of petrol. The mechanics then towed the car to their workshop & I went back to the petrol shed to get to the bottom of this and report the matter to the petrol shed owner. At the petrol shed they checked the tank connected to the particular pump that the petrol was pumped and they confirmed verbally that there was indeed water. As the owner was not there at that time at the petrol shed, I contacted him from the petrol shed over the phone & explained my plight. He was courteous & nice and asked me to contact him on Monday 5th after I had got an opinion from Car Mart (I had decided to get my car checked & diagnosed for damage/repairs from Car Mart, the MAZDA Agents). On Monday 5th when I contacted the owner & told him that Car Mart had indicated that it appears that petrol mixed with water was extracted from my tank, he was still courteous & said that he needs to conduct his own investigation & could not do so as the pump-man had not reported to work & was on leave & assured me that if there actually was water he would reimburse my fuel & make compensation to the extent of the damage. I took his word for it & did not lodge an entry with the police. In hindsight, I now realize that the petrol shed owner was being courteous purely to buy time to clean up his act with his tanks & pumps & thus I lost the opportunity & was precluded from getting the police to seal the petrol shed & to take samples of petrol from the particular pump. On Tuesday 6th I contacted the owner once again & to my utter amazement like a chameleon changing colours the petrol shed owner (Brian Perera) was down-right rude & insulting & took the position that his investigation had indicated that there could not be water in his petrol & asked me to very simply "go fly a kite", literally. I am told reliably that petrol shed owners generally would have taken out insurance covering such situations & it is a matter of claiming same & compensating me. But, the owner & Lanka IOC just do not want to take responsibility.

When I contacted Lanka IOC they too were not willing to accept responsibility.

Just yesterday I received the official technical analysis of the report from CISIR (now ITI - Industrial Technical Institute) which explicitly states that the sample of so called petrol contains 12% water content weight by weight as per "Dean & Stark" method of analysis.

Under these circumstances the question is begged, to whom should an unsuspecting & innocent citizen Perera turn to for recourse, in such a situation?

Bottom line is that I am now wasting all my efforts legally, police, consumer affairs, Indra Traders, going public & even to the extent of Minister Fowzie as Interim Regulator, to get Lanka IOC and/or Petrol Shed owner to pay to get my car in running order which costs approximately Rs. 140,000/-, including the cost of fuel of Rs. 4,260/- as per Car Mart estimates.

As it is I have still not had the pleasure of driving my new car to my home & sharing the joy of it with my family as it lies in "limbo" at Car Mart. Instead what I am saddled with is an immediate out-of-pocket situation not to mention the virtual "hell" I have been through these past 2 weeks.

This could happen to you too !!

I hope you would bear with me for this lengthy e-mail, the purpose of which is twofold.

(1) to have your solidarity in boycotting this particular petrol shed & if possible all Lanka IOC petrol sheds. (as I understand, at this very moment Lanka IOC is wrangling with issues with the Govt. of Sri Lanka & their petrol sheds are not functioning);

(2) to receive your invaluable advise on the matter.

Thank you.

Best regards

last i heard on this whole thing is that carmart is speaking to the shed owner to come to an amicable agreement.

indra traders say that since the car made it from indra to the shed, the fuel in the car was not tampered . plus she claims that she has pumped 4k worth of fuel. if it's premium fuel, it'sa bout 42 litres which is close to full tank.

the shed says that they pump 50K litres a day/week and this is the only case that has come. so it cant be their fault.

who do you blame?

last i heard on this whole thing is that carmart is speaking to the shed owner to come to an amicable agreement.

indra traders say that since the car made it from indra to the shed, the fuel in the car was not tampered . plus she claims that she has pumped 4k worth of fuel. if it's premium fuel, it'sa bout 42 litres which is close to full tank.

the shed says that they pump 50K litres a day/week and this is the only case that has come. so it cant be their fault.

who do you blame?

filling station has a very good point. if the car was a recon may be it had some water in the tank before the purchase. we all know the stunts these car sales people pull

filling station has a very good point. if the car was a recon may be it had some water in the tank before the purchase. we all know the stunts these car sales people pull

yah me too recived da long mail, but i was just wondering how on earth did other cars not get any water but only this car... i mean doesn't look like any other car seem 2 hav encountered the same issue!

Well water in heavier that petrol.. so it could have been at the bottom of the fuel shed's tank. and this poor soul would have been the unlucky one to fill up when the tank was close to empty..

por lad, consumers in this country are too weak hence can't protest on issues like this effectively

This is definitely OT…..Where do I find these Tuned I Chips guys…..are they expensive…? How much do you think it would cost me to get an diagnostic done on my motor…..Do they do other makes other than Honda…..hmm like Toyota ?

What Mr. isurujosh says is true we consumers are helpless and in my opinion it is because we choose to be so.

From what I understand, the inspiration behind the formation of Automobile association was to help motorists avoid police speed traps. Even though the intention of forming the club at the time was not one of the best it has now become one of most service oriented organisations available (except in sri lanka .)

I believe it is time that Autolanka make way in that direction; not entirely take over the tasks of an Automobile association but start organizing the members in that direction.

For example if the Autolanka can verify the incident, not whether there was water or not as the first step.

Autolanka could even go one step further and contact the parties concerned so that any errant person would be made aware of the implications of his actions and would be more careful. You could apply this to Insurance companies, spare part dealers, Agents, car sales ect….

I do understand that Autolanka may have apprehensions due to any legal processors that may be brought against them. However what I suggest is not that Autolanka provides opinions but just the facts of the incident along with proof after authenticating the accuracy of the claim..

Over to you moderators, Administrators owners of the site Autolank.com

This is definitely OT…..Where do I find these Tuned I Chips guys…..are they expensive…? How much do you think it would cost me to get an diagnostic done on my motor…..Do they do other makes other than Honda…..hmm like Toyota ?

ha! more like verossa, yah they r said to be expensive, but good quality... he has an advert in the autolanka home page... let me get back to you wit his number

Hehehe.. yea like Verossa.... The number would be great.... Thanks mate..

more like 0777-508864

What Mr. isurujosh says is true we consumers are helpless and in my opinion it is because we choose to be so.

From what I understand, the inspiration behind the formation of Automobile association was to help motorists avoid police speed traps. Even though the intention of forming the club at the time was not one of the best it has now become one of most service oriented organisations available (except in sri lanka .)

I believe it is time that Autolanka make way in that direction; not entirely take over the tasks of an Automobile association but start organizing the members in that direction.

For example if the Autolanka can verify the incident, not whether there was water or not as the first step.

Autolanka could even go one step further and contact the parties concerned so that any errant person would be made aware of the implications of his actions and would be more careful. You could apply this to Insurance companies, spare part dealers, Agents, car sales ect….

I do understand that Autolanka may have apprehensions due to any legal processors that may be brought against them. However what I suggest is not that Autolanka provides opinions but just the facts of the incident along with proof after authenticating the accuracy of the claim..

but verifying this kind of a claim is gonna be extremely difficult, read that e-mail quote, it describes how Mr. P***** had cunningly bought time to clear up the mess... even if there were water infact, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove it now :blink:

more like 0777-508864

but verifying this kind of a claim is gonna be extremely difficult, read that e-mail quote, it describes how Mr. P***** had cunningly bought time to clear up the mess... even if there were water infact, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove it now :blink:

I don’t mean that Autolanka should go to the extent of verifying if there was water or not...not at this juncture any way....that type of action could be taken in the future....more like contact both parties and merely post what they have to say. Let the members form their own opinion.

Sort of like giving consumers a forum to post their grievances and organisations to address explain and exonerate themselves. Autolanka could charge the organisation for providing a real-time customer care forum. and may be even advertisements from organisations.

Well, seems to have looked at Fuzzo's Mazda...

Main diff between AL and AA. AA members pay for their membership, and AA officers are paid for their time.

sorry guys OT, machang draggy is that your car in classifieds??? if so what happened to the bodykit???

nope... that's one of my friends car's... I'm trying to help him sell it... the cherry's safe and sound in it's garage cause it's raining these days... got her done up at Upul's last weekend.. so now she's running like a baby.. dont feel like taking her out in the rain and on all those pot holes... I'm riding with my Dad these days lol :blink: