• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying first car under 1M

TharinduD

Question

Guys

Im about to buy my first car and i need your expertise to make the decision.

My requirements maybe unpractical  or illogical. But here we go.

My budget is 1M and is not up-gradable.
im ok with old cars but preferably after 90s only because before 90 cars are boxed type. I like my car to be curved or round car :)
fuel economy 9+ in traffic and at least 15+ on high ways.
Less maintenance cost and parts availability (colombo area).
Can run about 50K kms in next 2 years without any major engine repairs.
AC, PS is must.
good interior and exterior (good looking car)
hatchback is preferred, sedan is also ok. not a big deal :)

are my requirements reasonable for a car under 1M?
guys please let me know your ideas and suggestions.

Thank you

6 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, iRage said:

With your budget I am afraid most your choices will have to be from the pre 90s era. Some may fall in to the early 90s as the model didn't change.

So you would looking at cars like P70 series Starlets, G100 series Charades, BF series Mazda Familiar/323, E80 and E90 series Corolla/Sprinter. lancers of the same era, etc...

Also keep in mind if 1mil is all you have..it is not advisable to spend all 1 mil on purchasing the car. You WILL have to do some corrective and pre-emptive maintenance work. So save some money for that.

Thank you very much iRage for your valuable comment. I think you are right on not spending all on new car. So from your list of suggestions i did little research. I like the Charade, Mazda 323. I found few vehicles under 950K. Do you think if i look around (not internet) there is a chance finding a car around 900K? so i will have 100K for any immediate repairs and touch ups.

What is your opinion on indian and chinese cars? (like Chery QQ and tata indica)

With your budget I am afraid most your choices will have to be from the pre 90s era. Some may fall in to the early 90s as the model didn't change.

So you would looking at cars like P70 series Starlets, G100 series Charades, BF series Mazda Familiar/323, E80 and E90 series Corolla/Sprinter. lancers of the same era, etc...

Also keep in mind if 1mil is all you have..it is not advisable to spend all 1 mil on purchasing the car. You WILL have to do some corrective and pre-emptive maintenance work. So save some money for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TharinduD said:

Guys

Im about to buy my first car and i need your expertise to make the decision.

My requirements maybe unpractical  or illogical. But here we go.

My budget is 1M and is not up-gradable.
im ok with old cars but preferably after 90s only because before 90 cars are boxed type. I like my car to be curved or round car :)
fuel economy 9+ in traffic and at least 15+ on high ways.
Less maintenance cost and parts availability (colombo area).
Can run about 50K kms in next 2 years without any major engine repairs.
AC, PS is must.
good interior and exterior (good looking car)
hatchback is preferred, sedan is also ok. not a big deal :)

are my requirements reasonable for a car under 1M?
guys please let me know your ideas and suggestions.

Thank you

If I were you, I would go for an old Fiat Punto.

They may have terrible resale value (which is an advantage for you). You can get a 300- or a 19- within your budget. Fiats of the 90s are very reliable and very economical. Parts are also available in Panchikawatta (mostly Indian made so they aren't expensive).

Only problem is you have to keep replying to morons who ask "ayyo... ayi Piyat ekak gatthe"

Some more options I can think of, are Perodua Kancil, Daihatsu Mira (both are same), K10 March and Nissan AD Wagon.

PS. Indica is a rust bucket. I don't have words to describe Chery QQs

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can always negotiate on the price and make an honest reasonable offer. The asking price the seller posts is not always the price the car is eventually sold at.

I would stay away from the Indian and Chinese cars. If you have too much time on your hands and take a look at a few and you will see why...

4 hours ago, Crosswind said:

If I were you, I would go for an old Fiat Punto.

They may have terrible resale value (which is an advantage for you). You can get a 300- or a 19- within your budget. Fiats of the 90s are very reliable and very economical. Parts are also available in Panchikawatta (mostly Indian made so they aren't expensive).

Only problem is you have to keep replying to morons who ask "ayyo... ayi Piyat ekak gatthe"

Some more options I can think of, are Perodua Kancil, Daihatsu Mira (both are same), K10 March and Nissan AD Wagon.

PS. Indica is a rust bucket. I don't have words to describe Chery QQs

True that. The fiat punto is the best for that budget. It has all the things OP needed. And it will not be a econobox used by 1000`s of know it all idiots.

Yup! go for a punto. Agree with what crosswind had to say. Be ready for all that negative rap but you'll be able to enjoy a much better car at that price bracket. Negotiate on the price & leave some money for some maintenance work. This is given that at this age the cars may have gone through some makabaas work with some owners resorting to quick fixes/mods & not having the patience to do things properly.