• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice me on My First Car

Vihan

Question

Hi all. I am an final year engineering student from a state uni. and I have that love for cars. Purpose of buying a car is that I am conducting classes in weekends so I want to go there. My parents do not let me to buy a bike. By now I am riding my uncle's bike. So guys I need some help to buy a car. (Old one since still I am poor)

I have about 2 lakhs in my hand and I can go for a car priced 7 lakhs with leasing as well. Will u suggest me some models. I found one familia registered in 1993 (BG3P model) priced at 6.3 lakhs. But it has a duplicate CR. Only thing I want is to learn more mechanics inside the car and to experience driving. Please give ur valuable ideas. Thanks

20 hours ago, Vihan said:

Thanks iRage. I found a ford laser 1992 with faded paint. I like to learn and do stuff my self. Will it be possible to paint that car myself?

Can you paint it ? Yes

Will it be a good paint job ? No

For starters....painting a car is quite a labor intensive process and is an art-form that requires some skill. You will have to completely strip the trim bits off the car/area, cut off the existing paint, fix any dents (use filler if needed), cut, primer, paint, etc...and then you will still only be halfway through. Then getting a nice even paint laid-out with minimal orange peel takes some skill and experience so the end result won't be too nice. If it is just a small area or a part and you want to learn I would have said go for it..but for an entire car I would say no. 

Also, you will need to buy/rent/borrow the required equipment (compressor, paint gun, gas cylinders, etc...). 

First of all..is the paint actually faded ? or is it just gunked up ? Try rubbing a bit of polish on it and what happens :)

Just now, BuBi said:

AFAIK macho.. every car sales guy is doing this thing. After all we are at their mercy when we import cars from Japan. However, this won't happen if you purchase a vehicle from the authorized dealer in Sri Lanka. But, then you won't get the JDM version. 

Actually there are a few decent ones around...but yeah most are suspicious :D

Just now, iRage said:

Actually there are a few decent ones around...but yeah most are suspicious :D

Good to know that. But I don't trust any of these people. Better to be careful after all. 

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Can you paint it ? Yes

Will it be a good paint job ? No

For starters....painting a car is quite a labor intensive process and is an art-form that requires some skill. You will have to completely strip the trim bits off the car/area, cut off the existing paint, fix any dents (use filler if needed), cut, primer, paint, etc...and then you will still only be halfway through. Then getting a nice even paint laid-out with minimal orange peel takes some skill and experience so the end result won't be too nice. If it is just a small area or a part and you want to learn I would have said go for it..but for an entire car I would say no. 

Also, you will need to buy/rent/borrow the required equipment (compressor, paint gun, gas cylinders, etc...). 

First of all..is the paint actually faded ? or is it just gunked up ? Try rubbing a bit of polish on it and what happens :)

Yeah. Thanks bro. U are correct. 

7 hours ago, BuBi said:

But, with your financial condition machan it is not wise to go after Japanese cars. IMHO you should look for Indian Maruti or Alto for the time being. Be wary of the Rusting in Indian models.

Thanks machn. But I hate those marutis. Btw I thought to wait few months and after my studies get a loan and buy what I like. ?

3 minutes ago, Vihan said:

Thanks machn. But I hate those marutis. Btw I thought to wait few months and after my studies get a loan and buy what I like. ?

Yeah good luck. Always remember to practice patience. Good cars are rare to find.