• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Best Suv In Sri Lanka?

Gummybr

What do you guys think is the best SUV in Sri Lanka is? What you will have to consider is practicality, fuel efficiancy, off road performance, on road performance and price and not forgetting looks.

In doing so you should look at 5 door family SUV's. My list is as follows.

Mitsubishi Montero

Toyota Prado

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Nissan Patrol

Porsche Cayenne

Volkswagon Tourag

Mercedes M Class

BMW X5

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover Discovery

Land Cruiser Sygnus / Sahara

(I have not included Soft Roaders & Indian 4X4's cos they can never take on the above as far as the above topics go)

Please be independant & give yoour views

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think is the best SUV in Sri Lanka is? What you will have to consider is practicality, fuel efficiancy, off road performance, on road performance and price and not forgetting looks.

Mitsubishi Montero

Toyota Prado

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Nissan Patrol

Porsche Cayenne

Volkswagon Tourag

Mercedes M Class

BMW X5

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover Discovery

(I have not included Soft Roaders & Indian 4X4's cos they can never take on the above as far as the above topics go)

U forgot the Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota RAV-4, Pajero IO, Land Rover Freelander and the Landrover Rangerover Sports(i think its a suv, correct me if im wrong). these are some of the important SUV`s, and as hola said, Mitsubishi Montero, Toyota Prado, Nissan Patrol, Land Rover Defender, Land Cruiser Sygnus / Sahara are not SUV`s. no offence dude, just correcting. <_<

What are they then ?

Lets add the ones in Zul's list and have a discussion and a poll I guess

They fall in to the Mid-size SUV catogary.

Ehemmmm...

A sport utility vehicle, or SUV, is a type of passenger vehicle which combines the load-hauling and versatility of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a van or station wagon. Most SUVs are designed with a roughly square cross-section, an engine compartment, a combined passenger and cargo compartment, and no dedicated trunk. Most mid-size and full-size SUVs have 5 or more seats, and a cargo area directly behind the last row of seats. Mini SUVs, such as the Jeep Wrangler, may have fewer seats.

It is known in some countries as an off-roader or four wheel drive, often abbreviated to 4WD or 4x4, and pronounced "four-by-four". More recently, SUVs designed primarily for driving on roads have grown in popularity. A new category, the crossover SUV uses car components for lighter weight and better fuel economy.

Ehemmmm...

A sport utility vehicle, or SUV, is a type of passenger vehicle which combines the load-hauling and versatility of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a van or station wagon. Most SUVs are designed with a roughly square cross-section, an engine compartment, a combined passenger and cargo compartment, and no dedicated trunk. Most mid-size and full-size SUVs have 5 or more seats, and a cargo area directly behind the last row of seats. Mini SUVs, such as the Jeep Wrangler, may have fewer seats.

It is known in some countries as an off-roader or four wheel drive, often abbreviated to 4WD or 4x4, and pronounced "four-by-four". More recently, SUVs designed primarily for driving on roads have grown in popularity. A new category, the crossover SUV uses car components for lighter weight and better fuel economy.

Well Hola your description matches all of those vehicles which you mentioned were not SUV's.

Lets not have an argument about it, its a commonly accepted fact.

Well Hola your description matches all of those vehicles which you mentioned were not SUV's.

Lets not have an argument about it, its a commonly accepted fact.

you are right...But I feel SUV is something small..and Montero or a Cygnus is more a big man's Jeep...

Mitsubishi Montero

Toyota Prado

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Nissan Patrol

Porsche Cayenne

Volkswagon Tourag

Mercedes M Class

BMW X5

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover Discovery

Out above the Porsche Cayenne will be the best.

But when considering the your points Land Rover discovery will be the best in SL.

you are right...But I feel SUV is something small..and Montero or a Cygnus is more a big man's Jeep...

uhm, sorry but that is THE most illogical answer I've seen here in a while! I believe you yourself posted that bit about the definition of what an "SUV" is..and all those vehicels definitely fall well within the limits. Infact I'd call them more of an SUV than those tiny little almost carlike vehicles often based on car platforms. And the term "jeep", I think thats synonymous in Sri Lanka to what is called an SUV elsewhere. Basically what I'm saying is that SUV is a very broad term, and I'd have to strongly disagree with someone who says that a Patrol or a Defender is not an SUV!

Cheers,

S

uhm, sorry but that is THE most illogical answer I've seen here in a while! I believe you yourself posted that bit about the definition of what an "SUV" is..and all those vehicels definitely fall well within the limits. Infact I'd call them more of an SUV than those tiny little almost carlike vehicles often based on car platforms. And the term "jeep", I think thats synonymous in Sri Lanka to what is called an SUV elsewhere. Basically what I'm saying is that SUV is a very broad term, and I'd have to strongly disagree with someone who says that a Patrol or a Defender is not an SUV!

Cheers,

S

Machang, SUV is like RAV4, CRV ok? And Jeep is Cygnus,Prado,Montero...You feel the diffrence...

Machang, SUV is like RAV4, CRV ok? And Jeep is Cygnus,Prado,Montero...You feel the diffrence...

Ur classing Discos, Defenders, X5 and Cayanne in the Rav4 size group? :) How .... unique.

And I do agree with ucscsades. I find this whole term SUV dumb anyway. What the heck is so sporty about those vehicles? The Americans call Hummers SUVs. <_< Outside of the RangeRover Sport, I don't think it has even been tried.

Porsche Cayenne is the BEST

Out above the Porsche Cayenne will be the best.

But when considering the your points Land Rover discovery will be the best in SL.

I'd actually pick the Toureg over the Cayanne. Local context tho, what I'd like is a older Patrol. Short of a Hummer, probably the widest non-bus/truck type vehicle on the road :)

I'd actually pick the Toureg over the Cayanne. Local context tho, what I'd like is a older Patrol. Short of a Hummer, probably the widest non-bus/truck type vehicle on the road <_<

2006 Volkswagen Touareg Performance Features

• 4,172 cc 4.2 liters V 8 front engine with 84.5 mm bore, 93 mm stroke, 11 compression ratio, double overhead cam and five valves per cylinder • Premium unleaded fuel 91 • Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 18 and EPA city (mpg): 14 • Multi-point injection fuel system • 26.4 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank • Heavy duty alternator • Power: 231 kW , 310 HP SAE @ 6,200 rpm; 302 ft lb , 409 Nm @ 3,000 rpm

2006 Volkswagen Touareg Handling & Braking Features

• Four-wheel ABS • 4.56:1 axle ratio • Brake assist system • Center differential lock • Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs • Electronic brake distribution • Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management • Immobilizer • Inflatable steel rim internal spare wheel • Stability control • Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs , multi-link rear suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs

2006 Volkswagen Touareg Exterior Features

• Part-painted front and rear bumpers • Chrome/bright trim around side windows, on side of body and on bumpers • Day time running lights • Driver power heated body color door mirrors with automatic operation indicator lights , passenger power heated body color door mirrors with automatic and automatic operation indicator lights • External dimensions: overall length (inches): 187.2, overall width (inches): 75.9, overall height (inches): 68, ground clearance (inches): 8.3, wheelbase (inches): 112.4, front track (inches): 65.2, rear track (inches): 65.7 and curb to curb turning circle (feet): 38.1 • Electric foldable mirrors • Front fog lights • Projector beam lens halogen bulb headlights • Luxury trim alloy & leather on gearknob, wood & leather on doors and wood & leather on dashboard • Pearl paint • Hinge rear window with defogger and intermittent • Roof rails • Glass electric front sunroof • Tinted glass on cabin , privacy tinted glass on rear , privacy tinted glass on side • Trailer towing preparation • Underbody protection for engine • Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 6,493, curb weight (lbs) 5,300, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 7,716 and max payload (lbs) 1,250 • Windshield wipers with automatic intermittent wipe and rain sensor

2006 Volkswagen Touareg Interior Features

• 12v power outlet: front and 2 , 12v power outlet: rear and 1 , 12v power outlet: cargo and 2 • Air conditioning with climate control and rear outlet 2 • Diversity antenna • Peripheral anti-theft protection • Audio anti-theft protection: code and integrated in dash • Manufacturer's own RDS audio system with AM/FM and CD player • Automatic drive indicator on dashboard • Below seat storage under passenger seat • Cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf • Cargo area light • Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 71 and all seats in place (cu ft): 31 • Clock • Coming home device • Compass • Computer with average speed, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption and range for remaining fuel • Full dashboard console with open storage box , full floor console with covered storage box , partial overhead console • Delayed/fade courtesy lights • Cruise control • Front seats cup holders fixed , rear seats cup holders pop out • Door ajar warning • Door entry light • Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats • External temperature • Floor covering: carpet in load area • Floor mats • Driver and passenger front airbag with occupant sensors intelligent • Bucket heated electrically adjustable driver and passenger seat with height adjustment, lumbar adjustment, six adjustments and tilt adjustment • Height adjustable 3-point reel front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners • Front seat center armrest • Garage door opener • Lockable glove compartment • Two height adjustable head restraints on front seats , three height adjustable head restraints on rear seats • Headlight control with time delay switch-off and dusk sensor • Heated washer • Illuminated entry system • Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 38.7, rear headroom (inches): 38.3, front leg room (inches): 41.3, rear leg room (inches): 35.6, front shoulder room (inches): 57.7, rear shoulder room (inches): 57.4 and interior volume (cu ft): 99 • Low fuel level warning • Low washer fluid level warning • Memorized adjustment with three settings on door mirror position with five driver's seat positions • Remote power locks includes power windows • Vehicle speed proportional power steering • Front power windows with two one-touch , rear power windows • Front and rear reading lights • Height adjustable 3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side with pre-tensioners , height adjustable 3-point reel rear seat belts on passenger side with pre-tensioners , 3-point reel rear seat belts on center side • Rear seat center armrest • Three asymmetrical split bench front facing rear seats with zero adjustments • Automatic operation rear view mirror • Remote audio controls • Remote fuel filler door release • Front and rear roof airbag • Front seat back storage • Leather seat upholstery with additional vinyl • Seating: five seats • Front side airbag • Ten speaker(s) • Leather covered multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment • Tachometer • Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror • Ventilation system with recirculation setting, micro filter and active carbon filter

2006 Porsche Cayenne Performance Features

• Turbo compressor • 4,511 cc 4.5 liters V 8 front engine with 93 mm bore, 83 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder • Premium unleaded fuel 91 • Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 18 and EPA city (mpg): 13 • Multi-point injection fuel system • 26.4 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank • Power: 336 kW , 450 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 460 ft lb , 624 Nm @ 2,250 rpm

2006 Porsche Cayenne Handling & Braking Features

• Four-wheel ABS • 3.7:1 axle ratio • Center differential lock • Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs • Electronic brake distribution • Electronic traction control via engine management • Immobilizer • Driver selectable responsive suspension • Inflatable steel rim internal spare wheel • Stability control • Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and air springs , multi-link rear suspension independent with stabilizer bar and air springs • Automatic front and rear suspension levelling • Tire kit

2006 Porsche Cayenne Exterior Features

• Body color front and rear bumpers • Chrome/bright trim around side windows and on side of body • Driver and passenger power heated body color door mirrors • External dimensions: overall length (inches): 188.3, overall width (inches): 75.9, overall height (inches): 66.9, ground clearance (inches): 10.8, wheelbase (inches): 112.4, front track (inches): 64.8, rear track (inches): 65.4 and curb to curb turning circle (feet): 39 • Electric foldable mirrors • Front fog lights • High pressure headlight cleaners • Projector beam lens Bi-Xenon headlights • Heat reflective glass • Luxury trim alloy look on gearknob, alloy look on doors and alloy on dashboard • Metallic paint • Hinge rear window with defogger and intermittent • Roof spoiler • Tinted glass on cabin , privacy tinted glass on rear , privacy tinted glass on side • Trailer towing preparation • Underbody protection for engine • Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 6,790, curb weight (lbs) 5,200, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 7,716 and max payload (lbs) 1,590 • Windshield wipers with automatic intermittent wipe and rain sensor

2006 Porsche Cayenne Interior Features

• 12v power outlet: front and 2 , 12v power outlet: rear and 1 , 12v power outlet: cargo and 2 • Air conditioning with climate control and rear outlet 2 • Diversity antenna • Peripheral interior monitoring anti-lift anti-theft protection • Front ashtray • Audio anti-theft protection: integrated in dash • Bose RDS audio system with digital radio and CD player • Automatic drive indicator on dashboard • Below seat storage under passenger seat • Cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf • Cargo area light • Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 62.5 and all seats in place (cu ft): 19.1 • Front seats and rear seats cigar lighter • Clock • Coming home device • Computer with average speed, average fuel consumption and range for remaining fuel • Full dashboard console with open storage box , full floor console with covered storage box , partial overhead console with covered storage box • Cornering lights/curb illumination • Delayed/fade courtesy lights • Cruise control • Front seats cup holders fixed , rear seats cup holders pop out • Door entry light • Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats • External temperature • Floor covering: carpet in load area • Driver and passenger front airbag with occupant sensors intelligent • Bucket heated electrically adjustable driver and passenger seat with height adjustment, lumbar adjustment, five adjustments and tilt adjustment • Height adjustable 3-point reel front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners • Front seat center armrest • Garage door opener • Lockable glove compartment • Two height adjustable head restraints on front seats , three height adjustable head restraints on rear seats • Headlight control with time delay switch-off • Heated washer • Illuminated entry system • Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 39.7, front hip room (inches): 60.4 and front shoulder room (inches): 58.5 • Low fuel level warning • Low washer fluid level warning • Memorized adjustment with three settings on door mirror position and steering wheel position with five driver's seat positions and five passenger seat positions • Navigational systems : information type: full map and voice and knobs/touch buttons controls DVD and color • Parking distance sensors front and rear and radar • Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch, includes power windows and speed sensing • Vehicle speed proportional power steering • Front power windows with two one-touch , rear power windows • Front and rear reading lights • Rear fog lights • Height adjustable 3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side with pre-tensioners , height adjustable 3-point reel rear seat belts on passenger side with pre-tensioners , 3-point reel rear seat belts on center side with pre-tensioners • Rear seat center armrest • Three asymmetrical split bench front facing heated rear seats with zero adjustments • Rear view mirror • Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls • Remote control remote trunk/hatch release • Front and rear roof airbag • Front seat back storage • Leather seat upholstery with additional vinyl • Seating: five seats • Service interval indicator • Front side airbag with occupant sensors • Smart card / smart key manual and includes radio settings • Fourteen speaker(s) • Leather covered electrically adjustable heated multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment • Tachometer • Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror • Ventilation system with recirculation setting, micro filter and active carbon filter

Ummm.... FYI, there is a V10 diesel and a W12 petrol on the Toureg too...

The following engines are available:

* 174 PS (128 kW, 172 hp) 2.5 L diesel I5

* 225 PS (165 kW, 225 hp) 3.0 L diesel V6, 500 N·m (369 ft·lbf)

* 240 PS (177 kW, 236 hp) 3.2 L gasoline V6

* 310 PS (228 kW, 305 hp) 4.2 L gasoline V8

* 313 PS (230 kW, 308 hp) 5.0 L diesel V10, 750 N·m (550 ft·lbf)

* 450 hp (331 kW) 6.0 L gasoline W12, 599 N·m (442 ft·lbf)

Sourced from the Wiki

Edited by Pericles

mam oh man, you have got to be the king of the country in which the ppl excel at contradicting themselves

agree with you there....

as i've heard, the term SUV actually first came up in the mid-late 80s with the Suzuki Samurai/Vitara.... then other car-makers followed seeing the market for these was going in only one direction. UP.... they saw that hard-core 4x4 vehicles will loose a considerable part of its market to smaller 4x4s (SUVs) since they were more practical door daily commuter running... so everyone started making small 4x4s, thus creating SUV fever...

and the term SUV made the vehicle more appealing to the common man who wanted fun, but didnt have the money to spend money on his daily commuter ride AND another 'fun' ride.. So the bigger 4x4s also started beig called SUVs.. it was more a marketing thing if you ask me.....

and if you ask me, the land rover defender is definitly NOT a SUV.. thats hardcore 4x4.... as for the monteros and saharas and partols, they are in a different category for which i cant think of a name.. hehehe! <_<

Courtesy of MSN.Auto

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4019412

The list of the top 10 SUVs on MSN Autos is based on visits to the site's vehicle research pages during the first three months of 2006. Here is the complete list:

1. Toyota RAV4

The freshly restyled all-new 2006 RAV4 is bigger, more powerful and offers more features than the previous model. With a more aerodynamic look and a wider stance, this third-generation compact SUV rides on a four-wheel independent suspension that gives the RAV4 both agile, sporty handling and a car-like ride. Under the hood is a 166 horsepower 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or a powerful 269-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 that can go from 0 to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds, Toyota claims.

2. Chevrolet Tahoe

Debuting as a 2007 model earlier this year, the Tahoe is completely redesigned with new exterior styling, a more refined interior, improved fuel economy and a more powerful engine. This full-size SUV has a new fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, and rack-and-pinion steering along with noise-reducing components and materials on the inside for a quieter ride. New features include a remote start system, ultrasonic rear parking assist, rearview camera system and a power-release fold-and-tumble second-row seat.

3. Honda CR-V

Built on the Civic platform, the Honda CR-V has been one of the best-selling compact SUVs since its debut in 1997. The CR-V received a number of exterior updates in 2005 including redesigned headlights and taillights, grille, front bumper and side sills. A new Special Edition trim was added that includes leather seats and mirrors, leather steering wheel and shift knob, and body-colored bumpers, side moldings and door handles. An all-new CR-V is expected to arrive in showrooms later this year.

4. Ford Explorer

The Explorer is Ford's midsize SUV and it has been the best-selling SUV in America for the past 15 years. For 2006 the Explorer is redesigned with a bolder look, more powerful engines, improved fuel economy and new advanced safety technologies. Showcased by an all-new powerdome hood, geometric headlights and three new grille styles, the Explorer has an all-new interior featuring advanced materials that dampen noise for a quieter ride. A new 4.6-liter V8 engine produces 292 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque; an increase of 53 horsepower from the previous model.

5. Toyota 4Runner

Now in its fourth-generation, the 4Runner is Toyota's midsize SUV that offers off-road capability along with roominess, power and luxury. For 2006 the 4Runner receives a number of updates including a new grille, bumper, headlights, fog lights and fender flares. The SR5 receives chrome door handles and a license plate trim. The Sport Edition receives a smoked chrome grille and headlight bezels and is available with an accessory appearance package that includes a roof rack and tube steps. The Limited includes standard 18-inch alloy wheels and black wood-graphic interior trim.

6. Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Grand Cherokee is a premium midsize SUV and the flagship of the Jeep brand. Jeep adds the SRT8 and Overland versions for 2006, after an all-new Grand Cherokee was introduced for 2005. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 features a 420-horsepower 6.1-liter HEMI V8 with full-time 4-wheel drive, a new rear fascia, 4-inch exhaust tips, and 20-inch wheels. The Overland is equipped with platinum-color accents for the interior and exterior, 17-inch wheels, a tire-pressure-monitoring system, a leathered-wrapped center console armrest and a 330-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine.

7. Honda Pilot

Honda's midsize SUV based on the Odyssey platform, the Pilot seats up to eight passengers. For 2006 Pilot receives exterior updates including a new grille, hood, fenders, headlights, taillights and bumpers. The interior is restyled with a new instrument panel design, seat fabrics and an adjustable headrest. A 2WD version is available for the first time in the model's history. Three-row side-curtain airbags are standard on all trim levels.

8. Toyota Highlander

Highlander is the automaker's car-based midsize SUV, built on a unibody platform with 4-wheel independent suspension. The Highlander received a number of updates for 2005 including a roof rack with cross bars, remote keyless entry and a tonneau cover. An all-new Highlander Sport trim joins the lineup for 2006, featuring a refined exterior including a color-keyed grille with a chrome insert, chrome door handles, chrome rear license plate garnish, a chrome exhaust tip and 17-inch 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels.

9. Nissan Murano

Named after the elegant sculpted glass art that comes from the islands near Venice, the Murano is Nissan's first crossover that combines the attributes of a truck-based SUV with the refinement, handling and ride comfort of a sedan. For 2006 Murano gets a number of upgrades including a restyled front grille, brushed aluminum roof rails (on the SE trim), chrome accent side sills (SL and SE) and lower front bumper, LED rear taillights and a standard 7-inch LCD color display.

10. Nisssan Pathfinder

The Pathfinder is Nissan's midsize SUV introduced back in 1985. The third-generation Pathfinder was updated for 2005 with more room, a more powerful engine, an all-steel frame based on the full-size Armada SUV, and third-row seating for the first time. For 2006 the Pathfinder remains unchanged but adds a new exterior color, Majestic Blue.

U forgot the Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota RAV-4, Pajero IO, Land Rover Freelander and the Landrover Rangerover Sports(i think its a suv, correct me if im wrong). these are some of the important SUV`s, and as hola said, Mitsubishi Montero, Toyota Prado, Nissan Patrol, Land Rover Defender, Land Cruiser Sygnus / Sahara are not SUV`s. no offence dude, just correcting. <_<

Guys I mentioned that I have not included the 'Soft Roaders' there what I meant was Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota RAV-4, Pajero IO, Land Rover Freelander, Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Sorento, sportage, Hyundai Tuscon & Santa Fe. True when it comes to on road performance, maybe looks, price & fuel efficiency (which is not much compared to what the above bigger catagory gets). But seriously these are no off roaders.

By the way I saw in one of the comments the soft roaders refered to as compact SUV's & the bigger ones midsize SUV's.

I did not include the Volvo XC90 cos there aren't any available in the market except for 2 or 3 bought down earlier.

Also please remember the Defender is not just a serious off roader its a SUV (though not realy good off the mark or cornering). It can carry upto 9 or 10 people & is one of the most versatile vehicles found, thus it gets it place in here.

Also please bear in mind the vehicles I'v asked your opinion on are all in the same sort of price catagory, thus the Range Rover Sport nor the Range Rover comes in cos they are priced in the late 20 million range along with the turbo Cayenne & higher engine speced Tourag & X5. These are superb vehicles but these will fall into the "King Size" as some one wanted to call the Sahara / cygnus & Monetro's.

Just keep your comments comming. :)

Guys I mentioned that I have not included the 'Soft Roaders' there what I meant was Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota RAV-4, Pajero IO, Land Rover Freelander, Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Sorento, sportage, Hyundai Tuscon & Santa Fe. True when it comes to on road performance, maybe looks, price & fuel efficiency (which is not much compared to what the above bigger catagory gets). But seriously these are no off roaders.

By the way I saw in one of the comments the soft roaders refered to as compact SUV's & the bigger ones midsize SUV's.

I did not include the Volvo XC90 cos there aren't any available in the market except for 2 or 3 bought down earlier.

Also please remember the Defender is not just a serious off roader its a SUV (though not realy good off the mark or cornering). It can carry upto 9 or 10 people & is one of the most versatile vehicles found, thus it gets it place in here.

Also please bear in mind the vehicles I'v asked your opinion on are all in the same sort of price catagory, thus the Range Rover Sport nor the Range Rover comes in cos they are priced in the late 20 million range along with the turbo Cayenne & higher engine speced Tourag & X5. These are superb vehicles but these will fall into the "King Size" as some one wanted to call the Sahara / cygnus & Monetro's.

Just keep your comments comming. <_<

I'm confused.. machan, your adding some vehicles and removing others on various factors.. a SUV in the first place isnt a 'serious off-roader'... from what you have been posting so fat you are looking for more a big-jeep..... not a SUV.. cos vehicles like the "Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota RAV-4, Pajero IO, Land Rover Freelander, Mitsubishi Outlander" are the true definition of SUVs..

and as for the defender, well yeah, it can carry a lot of people, but how many defenders do you see parked in a parking lot of a Supermarket or mall....