• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

:: Air Filters Role ::

dragster

Question

• Answers 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well since you have only a minute amount of SS attaching to you stock intake piping you don't have much to worry about. But you can get the heat wrap at the same place you got the K&N, Hurricane brand, usually crap but in this application is fine and tons better than McFoil. Also to bring down your overall engine bay temp you can use the remainder of the heat tape to wrap your exhaust manifold, to do this you'll first have to remove your heat shield wrap the manifold and replace the heatshiled if possible but not needed really with the wrapping.

Er....I am that friend who gets the aluminum pipes heheheheh :unsure: turbo??? Shhhhhh

Keep up the good word, spread it well all go no show....the force is strong in the one :huh:

Porky

lolz.. you should have told me earlier it was you no? lmao.. god damn.. and i literally made a fool o maself hehe.. bro.. exhaust scene coming soon .. hehe.. bloody hell man.. my cars 0-100k timing sucks! sniff.. gotta do something bout it :-)

@ Hola - You could purchase the airfilter over at motorcade.. go for the headshielded one and make sure the brand is K&N.. unfortunately if yours is the stock then there gotta be some removal of stuff and you WILL have to either purchase the CAI pipe or build one.. am i rite porkster? lolz..

what i did was.. bought the airfilter and headed to elcardo, nawala which ma buddy porkster directed me too and those guys did the job.. just make sure that the airfilter is faced toward the air inlet. And that's basically it.. ;-)

Zz

Hola,

If you can't be bothered with the fuss of fitting in new inlet piping i think you can get K&N filters to fit the sock ones too, which though as not as good as fitting a cone filter with smooth alluminium piping would still give you some imporovement in the air flow without having to fuss arround much.

The Don

Hola,

If you can't be bothered with the fuss of fitting in new inlet piping i think you can get K&N filters to fit the sock ones too, which though as not as good as fitting a cone filter with smooth alluminium piping would still give you some imporovement in the air flow without having to fuss arround much.

The Don

Yeah... this is a good alternative but not a real performance-improving one...

@ hola - darn.. cant find a suitable pic of the inside of your cars bonnet.. if you could post a pic of inside the bonnet them probably could do some thinking... where is the stock airfilter in your vehicle? @ the front or towards the rear?

Zz

Yeah... this is a good alternative but not a real performance-improving one...

@ hola - darn.. cant find a suitable pic of the inside of your cars bonnet.. if you could post a pic of inside the bonnet them probably could do some thinking... where is the stock airfilter in your vehicle? @ the front or towards the rear?

Zz

Hey, sorry i had to take this old thread up again...

You had asked for a pic under the bonet, i think i found one.

enginesk2.jpg

One think i hate to do is make huge mods. Ashan who got a black RS had lots of gutts and fixed a huge K&N filter box through Staffords (i guess). So what you suggest is a aluminium covred cone type K&N filter.

Thats not a pic of your car right- thats a USDM car. Theres no point in putting up that pic and your engine bay will be different.

no , what he wanted to see was just the set up of the engine. and i guess that pic would help

Hey, sorry i had to take this old thread up again...

You had asked for a pic under the bonet, i think i found one.

enginesk2.jpg

One think i hate to do is make huge mods. Ashan who got a black RS had lots of gutts and fixed a huge K&N filter box through Staffords (i guess). So what you suggest is a aluminium covred cone type K&N filter.

Hola pls explain the term "Huge mods"...

Edited by crash.n.burn

I aint no fancy engine enthusiast lolz.. could ya point out where the stock air filter box is? and a pic having a closer look would do good.. but basically all you have to do is to remove the stock air filter along with the box and then most probably you will be left with a open pipe which leads into the engine... get a pipe done @ either elc*rdo or any good place and face it towards the air inlet of the stock airfilter box (the pipe need to extend to that inlet but basically the airfilter which you attach should be as close as possible to that inlet)..

I think porkster would ve got a good idea on detailing everythin for you.. but basically what i told is the norm.. and yeah.. the airfilter is da K&N cone type air filter with the aluminium backplate.. when buying the airfilter take your car along with you cuz there are minor variations of the airfilters also it seems..

Zz

Hola pls explain the term "Huge mods"...

Huge Mods in a sense is like some people replaces their normal engine with a turbo engine, some people make 2 way distributor for the exaust and make it double barrel etc etc. Mods which takes too much mechanical and technical effort is out of my reach. I am a guy who wants to do simple mods like replacing a head lamp with the projector lamps etc.

I caled up the official K&N filter guys in Sri Lanka and for 7400/= they got the box type air filter which fits into the original compartment. The cone type one comes with the original pipe fitings and that may cost 20k itseems which they do not have in stock.

I aint no fancy engine enthusiast lolz.. could ya point out where the stock air filter box is? and a pic having a closer look would do good.. but basically all you have to do is to remove the stock air filter along with the box and then most probably you will be left with a open pipe which leads into the engine... get a pipe done @ either elc*rdo or any good place and face it towards the air inlet of the stock airfilter box (the pipe need to extend to that inlet but basically the airfilter which you attach should be as close as possible to that inlet)..

I think porkster would ve got a good idea on detailing everythin for you.. but basically what i told is the norm.. and yeah.. the airfilter is da K&N cone type air filter with the aluminium backplate.. when buying the airfilter take your car along with you cuz there are minor variations of the airfilters also it seems..

Zz

Here you go...Hope it helps. And before i forget, the Local K&N dealer was very neagtive on modifiying and setting up the cone type air filter saying its always a flop as the heat gets overlaped

enginesk2vw7.jpg

I am a guy who wants to do simple mods like replacing a head lamp with the projector lamps etc.

The cone type one comes with the original pipe fitings and that may cost 20k itseems which they do not have in stock.

before i forget, the Local K&N dealer was very neagtive on modifiying and setting up the cone type air filter saying its always a flop as the heat gets overlaped

Dear Hola,

Well they called for help so here I be :angry:

With regards to the above I have noted you to be a bit more on the rice side than the tuner type. This is OK as to each his/her own. However since I note also that our authoritarian parts dealers are wimps and try to dissuade anyone from trying anything different than buying what they have in stock (and usually shyte stock) I would like to add my 2cs worth.

Your Honda can definitely have a CAI fabricated as can just about any other car on the planet except for purpose built high performance machines that already come with all the performance enhancing garnishes. Whatever you do though DON'T TAKE IT TO STAFFORD, they are not tuners, simply mechanics who know how to remove a defective and sometimes even non defective part and replace to with their overpriced new one. Yes they have some machines and have got some Japs down to train em here n there but believe me they know squat about tuning.

Installing a CAI is one of the first steps in increasing your ability to 'go'. There are standard kits available for your car but by the time we import it it will not be to your rice budget (joke...but true). Hence I can recommend you go get a metal top K&N cone filter from Motorc*de first. Then if you like I can pay a small visit with you to the El Retardo place (joke...but they are retards) where under my guidance we will impart upon them some genuine enlightenment.....the duration of this will be about the same as the attention span of a gnat but alas we will have our job done.

All this should not cost more than 9K for filter + 3k to the retards so all in all you'll have a custom CAI for around 12K....oh and we might need a silicon reducer which will be round 1-2K. You can expect some mild HP gains in the 5-8bhp category, better Wide Open Throttle (WOT) response and around 1-2 lbs of torque.

If you're seroius just drop me a mail at [email protected] and we can take it from there.

Cheers, Porky

Dear Hola,

Well they called for help so here I be :angry:

With regards to the above I have noted you to be a bit more on the rice side than the tuner type. This is OK as to each his/her own. However since I note also that our authoritarian parts dealers are wimps and try to dissuade anyone from trying anything different than buying what they have in stock (and usually shyte stock) I would like to add my 2cs worth.

Your Honda can definitely have a CAI fabricated as can just about any other car on the planet except for purpose built high performance machines that already come with all the performance enhancing garnishes. Whatever you do though DON'T TAKE IT TO STAFFORD, they are not tuners, simply mechanics who know how to remove a defective and sometimes even non defective part and replace to with their overpriced new one. Yes they have some machines and have got some Japs down to train em here n there but believe me they know squat about tuning.

Installing a CAI is one of the first steps in increasing your ability to 'go'. There are standard kits available for your car but by the time we import it it will not be to your rice budget (joke...but true). Hence I can recommend you go get a metal top K&N cone filter from Motorc*de first. Then if you like I can pay a small visit with you to the El Retardo place (joke...but they are retards) where under my guidance we will impart upon them some genuine enlightenment.....the duration of this will be about the same as the attention span of a gnat but alas we will have our job done.

All this should not cost more than 9K for filter + 3k to the retards so all in all you'll have a custom CAI for around 12K....oh and we might need a silicon reducer which will be round 1-2K. You can expect some mild HP gains in the 5-8bhp category, better Wide Open Throttle (WOT) response and around 1-2 lbs of torque.

If you're seroius just drop me a mail at [email protected] and we can take it from there.

Cheers, Porky

Hi machang,

As long as the right thing and the right price is met I wouldnt mind spending for it. In other words "value for money". And i somehow want to get OEM stuff or nearest (apart from my alloys). Do we have to do all this mods if we get the full kit? Here is the link for mine http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0170-1

I am so scared to do this mods becuase if something comes up i need to go all the way (from negombo) to the guy who fixed it, that why i like standard stuff. But if the mods like you said is done without damaging the original set up its fine..

And yes, i am a bit of a agents addict. But I do agree, they just do a whimpy tuneup

Hi machang,

As long as the right thing and the right price is met I wouldnt mind spending for it. In other words "value for money". And i somehow want to get OEM stuff or nearest (apart from my alloys). Do we have to do all this mods if we get the full kit? Here is the link for mine http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0170-1

I am so scared to do this mods becuase if something comes up i need to go all the way (from negombo) to the guy who fixed it, that why i like standard stuff. But if the mods like you said is done without damaging the original set up its fine..

And yes, i am a bit of a agents addict. But I do agree, they just do a whimpy tuneup

Hey dude,

Well if you want to go OEM then you can't go the Induction kit route either you'd just have to put in a drop-in replacement filter which won't do squat.

An intake mod won't mess up your scene I can guarantee it, if you want a reference on me from Negombo just ask Rohith at Fib#x about the guy with the specially modded Nissan. Heck he's got the car STILL :angry:

As for price I think below 15K is about the best bang for the buck you're going to get around here.

Cheers, Porky

Hi machang,

Yo..

Take my word for it.. I went through porkster's idea and my things done.. one thing you could be assured of is that the cone air filter would most definitely have a positive performance increment.. cuz it did for me and getting the pipe made via elca&&do is far more cheaper than getting branded ones.. as for quality.. its guaranteed :-) that is... if you build it as par the correct requirement which am sure once you contact porkster you will be enlightened upon..

the only so called "damage" that will be done is just removing the air filter box most probably and installing the cone air filter.. no worries.. if you feel that the cone air filter aint doing its job for any reasons you could easily get it switched back to the original air filter box setup... so no worries there.. but guaranteed once the cone air filter is installed.. itz gonna rock a bit.. ;-)

once again.. am in my "learning" process so i think porkster and other members could do a far better job in providing you detailed answers...

all i am saying man... "GO FOR IT!!!!!" :-)

My total costs of implementing the cone filter :- K&N Cone Filter :- 8500/- + CAI Pipe :- 950/- = you do the maths lmao..

so its FAR MORE cheaper to get it done dude...

Zz

Edited by neXGen

Thanks Porkster, nexgen,

But I just realised that there is an air sensor on the lid. If we take out the box and fix the pipes this would go out of proportion. And Ive heard that messin up with sensors will ruin the preformance

Hola

Huge Mods in a sense is like some people replaces their normal engine with a turbo engine, some people make 2 way distributor for the exaust and make it double barrel etc etc. Mods which takes too much mechanical and technical effort is out of my reach. I am a guy who wants to do simple mods like replacing a head lamp with the projector lamps etc.

Thanks Hola now i understand the meaning of "Huge Mods". You seem to know alot about car modifications!

So tell me with the projector headlamp modification did you get better aerodynamics?

Thanks Porkster, nexgen,

But I just realised that there is an air sensor on the lid. If we take out the box and fix the pipes this would go out of proportion. And Ive heard that messin up with sensors will ruin the preformance

Hola

Nope... the air sensor is basically attached to the pipe the same way it is attached to the box.. the ECU will do the learning and adjust itself accordingly.. in my case.. the sensor was attached to the side of the stock air filter box so what we did was simple.. made the freakin pipe and made a small hole IN the pipe so as to attach the sensor.. after installation, the sensor was installed into the pipe so as to take measurements of the air coming in through the pipe afterbeen being vacuumed in by the air filter..

there is NO re-configuration of the ECU required as the ECU is self learning and will automatically adjust accordingly without causing any "out of proportion" cases.. there is no fuel efficiency decrease even though i say it "adjusts".. i am not very proficient in the workings of the ECU man... but i can guarantee you.. with the proper installation.. there will be NO PROBS at ALL!!

dude.. one thing you must realize is that.. in order to achieve a performance increment there is always a risk.. without you willing to take this risk.. there is no saying whether in the future you would have gained performance or not.. best thing is to take the risk.. and the only risk here is that you "might" lose some performance if the installation is incorrect.. and believe me.. when it came to my decision as to whether i should do it or not.. i did some heavy reading and with the advice my pal gave me .. i went ahead.. a satisfied cruiser i am...

the only do-s are as follows :-

* DO install the cone air filter as close as possible to the pipe from which air comes into the bonnet from the outside

* DO make sure that the CAI pipe has a small hole drilled so as to accomodate the air sensor

* DO ensure that the fittings are tightened else the cone air filter would get lose and thus cause engine problems as a result of dirt being sucked in at times (not that the cone filter trys to run loose, the mechanic might be high at times.. so be cautious ;-) )

* DO expect increased acceleration speeds and at times small variants in engine sound.. basically once you add this filter you will get a little rough beat which would make you wanna go faster ;-) (it is not the type of beats where you could hear kms apart.. trust me.. a smooth beat)

dont-s :-

* DONT install the cone airfilter at a lower level in the engine compartment for the simple fact that if it is unprotected (without a box most of the times), water could get in and you might get a hydrolock)

* DONT spray water or any liquid onto the air filter at any time.. if you are spraying dressing liquid onto the engine compartment ensure that the air filter is properly covered..

and if i caused the doubt that water will be a problem.. you need not worry as the cone air filter fitted at a correct level would never cause any problems even when driving in wet conditions.. if am wrong.. please correct me ;-)

Zz

Hi Crash.N.Burn,

Thanks Hola now i understand the meaning of "Huge Mods". You seem to know alot about car modifications!

So tell me with the projector headlamp modification did you get better aerodynamics?

I see you want to be funny.. Well, i didnt laugh...was it meant to be a joke....please clarify brother :angry:

Nope... the air sensor is basically attached to the pipe the same way it is attached to the box.. the ECU will do the learning and adjust itself accordingly.. in my case.. the sensor was attached to the side of the stock air filter box so what we did was simple.. made the freakin pipe and made a small hole IN the pipe so as to attach the sensor.. after installation, the sensor was installed into the pipe so as to take measurements of the air coming in through the pipe afterbeen being vacuumed in by the air filter..

there is NO re-configuration of the ECU required as the ECU is self learning and will automatically adjust accordingly without causing any "out of proportion" cases.. there is no fuel efficiency decrease even though i say it "adjusts".. i am not very proficient in the workings of the ECU man... but i can guarantee you.. with the proper installation.. there will be NO PROBS at ALL!!

dude.. one thing you must realize is that.. in order to achieve a performance increment there is always a risk.. without you willing to take this risk.. there is no saying whether in the future you would have gained performance or not.. best thing is to take the risk.. and the only risk here is that you "might" lose some performance if the installation is incorrect.. and believe me.. when it came to my decision as to whether i should do it or not.. i did some heavy reading and with the advice my pal gave me .. i went ahead.. a satisfied cruiser i am...

the only do-s are as follows :-

* DO install the cone air filter as close as possible to the pipe from which air comes into the bonnet from the outside

* DO make sure that the CAI pipe has a small hole drilled so as to accomodate the air sensor

* DO ensure that the fittings are tightened else the cone air filter would get lose and thus cause engine problems as a result of dirt being sucked in at times (not that the cone filter trys to run loose, the mechanic might be high at times.. so be cautious ;-) )

* DO expect increased acceleration speeds and at times small variants in engine sound.. basically once you add this filter you will get a little rough beat which would make you wanna go faster ;-) (it is not the type of beats where you could hear kms apart.. trust me.. a smooth beat)

dont-s :-

* DONT install the cone airfilter at a lower level in the engine compartment for the simple fact that if it is unprotected (without a box most of the times), water could get in and you might get a hydrolock)

* DONT spray water or any liquid onto the air filter at any time.. if you are spraying dressing liquid onto the engine compartment ensure that the air filter is properly covered..

and if i caused the doubt that water will be a problem.. you need not worry as the cone air filter fitted at a correct level would never cause any problems even when driving in wet conditions.. if am wrong.. please correct me ;-)

Zz

Hey,

Machang thank you for the expereince shared, you got me worried about the noise thing to be expected. Does this mean a cone type filter might kill the sweet low sound of the Civic? Im not the muffler or beat barel type of guy so i need the car to be quiet as like now

Edited by Hola

Easy Crash. If I am right, u used to use the Navam Mawatha Power World gym around 2003? If ur that guy, bro, keep in mind that not everyone has the level of expertise needed to do a project like u did. Gotta start learning somewhere.

And also, not everyone who owns a car wants to squeeze performance out of it. Otherwise, auto trannys would go outta business. No harm in rice as long as ricer doesn't think the rice will make the vehicle rocket :angry:

Hi Crash.N.Burn,

I see you want to be funny.. Well, i didnt laugh...was it meant to be a joke....please clarify brother :angry:

Hey,

Machang thank you for the expereince shared, you got me worried about the noise thing to be expected. Does this mean a cone type filter might kill the sweet low sound of the Civic? Im not the muffler or beat barel type of guy so i need the car to be quiet as like now

The car will basically be quiet in lower revs dude.. if you accelerate all of a sudden and start hitting the higher revs then the car would give a smooth audible beat.. n trust me.. its a pleasant sound and not like those beat mufflers and exhausts out there.. its totally different.. i could show it to you but the probs being that you are in negombo and i in colombo...

put it out easily.. the car will be the same quiet car when you are driving normally.. when you wanna race or go faster all of a sudden then the increase in air intake via the cone filter would give out that slight sound.. dont worry man.. the sound aint all the bad as you think.. its smooth and nice to hear...

Zz

i thought you were selling your car. why are you trying to add stuff to it?

I was thinking the same thing.. anyway all this talking about mods is useless if your chicken to do 'em.. you'd also probably be chicken to use the gains on the road as well. :angry:

Nexs and Porks good descriptions.. just to add to that consider your options when going with a cone.. it can be either the short ram intake (close to the engine) of the full CAI..

Also if possible it may help to get a heat shield for you intake to make sure its taking in more cold air all the time..

Also when fabricating the pipes- make sure the inside walls of the pipes are as smooth as possible, it may also help if you can paint it with some heat resistant paint. When installing- never let it touch any metal part of the engine- mainly the Throttle body as the engine heat will be transferred and you will spoil the power gains..

No harm in rice as long as ricer doesn't think the rice will make the vehicle rocket :(

ha ha that will be the day the cows come home! It's intriguing to see what some people consider as 'heavy mods'

yup.. heat shields one thing which i have stil not done to the pipes but hopefully later on.. need to know the prices though and according to my intake, i dont thing that is necessary cuz the pipe is short.. and the rest is rubber/plastic... but gotta check it out too.. thanx 4 da extra info pila!

Zz