• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Crack in tyre side wall. Should I replace?

madusha94

Question

7 answers to this question

Yes. You should get it replaced soon. You don't want a blowout especially at highway speeds. It's recommended to replace both tyres on an axle rather than just one tyre. What is the tread depth of the other tyre and the year of manufacture? If it's practically new you may be able to get away with just replacing the damaged one but have to be cautious when the tread depth of the old one becomes less than 3mm as the car may spin out of control in wet conditions at speed as the one with less tread depth may loose grip due to aquaplaning. 

• Like 1

Dunlop enasave, I've mentioned this so many times. A real crappy tire 

Go to tyre repair place, u ll see atleast one of these with a sidewall issue, notoriously bought in with wagon r and the kei boom of 2017, and Nissan leafs 

Suggestion would be to change all tyres as it's a matter of time that the rest will have sidewall punctures or bubbles. 

• Like 1

Dunlop enasave, I've mentioned this so many times. A real crappy tire 
Go to tyre repair place, u ll see atleast one of these with a sidewall issue, notoriously bought in with wagon r and the kei boom of 2017, and Nissan leafs 
Suggestion would be to change all tyres as it's a matter of time that the rest will have sidewall punctures or bubbles. 
Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend a good brand to buy tyres?
Tyre size is 145/80R13.

Sent from my SM-A505F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

1 hour ago, madusha94 said:

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend a good brand to buy tyres?
Tyre size is 145/80R13.

Depends on your budget,

top end Pirelli, Bridgestone, Good Year, Michelin, Continental
Intermediate - Yokohama, Maxxis, Nankang, Kumho, 

cheap - Minerva, gt radial, federal, 

mileage and comfort + Wear may vary but have used all of the above brands and had no issues. 

• Like 1

Yes. You should get it replaced soon. You don't want a blowout especially at highway speeds. It's recommended to replace both tyres on an axle rather than just one tyre. What is the tread depth of the other tyre and the year of manufacture? If it's practically new you may be able to get away with just replacing the damaged one but have to be cautious when the tread depth of the old one becomes less than 3mm as the car may spin out of control in wet conditions at speed as the one with less tread depth may loose grip due to aquaplaning. 
Thanks!

On 3/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, tiv said:

Depends on your budget,

top end Pirelli, Bridgestone, Good Year, Michelin, Continental
Intermediate - Yokohama, Maxxis, Nankang, Kumho, 

cheap - Minerva, gt radial, federal, 

mileage and comfort + Wear may vary but have used all of the above brands and had no issues. 

True

When it comes to certain brands the country of manufacture, compound and tread pattern play a huge role in terms of the quality and performance of the tire.

Ironically the one of the best tires i've used and the worst tire are both Michelin :o

Also @tiv with SUV or 4x4 tires things even with the same tread pattern sometimes vary when you compare performance of a LT (light truck) spec tire with extra ply's and a reinforced sidewall. Those make a big difference in terms of overall strength, wear, flex & puncture resistance versus the same "P" grade passenger tire.

1 hour ago, Devinda_Z said:

True

When it comes to certain brands the country of manufacture, compound and tread pattern play a huge role in terms of the quality and performance of the tire.

Ironically the one of the best tires i've used and the worst tire are both Michelin :o

Also @tiv with SUV or 4x4 tires things even with the same tread pattern sometimes vary when you compare performance of a LT (light truck) spec tire with extra ply's and a reinforced sidewall. Those make a big difference in terms of overall strength, wear, flex & puncture resistance versus the same "P" grade passenger tire.

Absolutely, the higher ply makes the tyres a bit hard to use, and I’ve also noticed the overall texture  of the rubber between the jdm tyre and the Indonesian tyre / outsourced tyre of the same brand has different mileages. 
the jdm Bridgestone is very resistant to wearing, in turn continental and Michelin are softer tyres, tend to rub off early. 
once due to a similar emergency like OP mentioned, I was forced to purchase a pair of tyres outstation, few km off Negombo, 

the brand was Westlake, after using them for a while, I realized they made a very good tyre, rather comfortable, good handling and I ended up swapping the other 2 in a few weeks, those tyres managed like 40,000km with no issues, 
The brand is rare now locally. 

Ages ago my dad got down a Bridgestone tyre set for a van we had, he bought them abroad and imported the set with a hefty duty. The best part was he missed the fact they were LT tyres, was so uncomfortable that I’m sure it led to the onset of me losing my milk teeth lol. Was very hard to rub off and thereby I guess he binned them like after 20000km.

Another good tyre I’ve enjoyed running down was the Maxxis Mudder Buckshot, 33s on my defender, precursor to the Maxxis Bighorn, 

was a really soft tyre, no punctures, insane grip, made even a defender comfortable. Downside i didn’t need a horn after 60kmph as it sounded like a small passenger aircraft. The hum.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1