• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Belt Problem!!

Cham-X

Question

Hey guys....

Im driving a Mitsu Galant '99 model diesel 2.0L Super Salon......Since of late the belt of the car seems to be making that dreaded screeching noise, when the AC is on.....My dad said its prolly cos the belt is loose or something but went to the mechanics and they said its pretty tight and theres no problem...for my luck the damn noise didnt come at that time so they couldnt hear the problem.....

The belt cant be burnt out cos the car has extreme low milage...just 12,000 odd even though the car was bought 7 years ago....we hardly used it cos i was out of the country and my dad doesnt drive it that much...

Wat do u think the problem is?? Any place I can take it to get a proper diagnosis???

Thanks in advance

Cheers

4 answers to this question

Hey guys....

Im driving a Mitsu Galant '99 model diesel 2.0L Super Salon......Since of late the belt of the car seems to be making that dreaded screeching noise, when the AC is on.....My dad said its prolly cos the belt is loose or something but went to the mechanics and they said its pretty tight and theres no problem...for my luck the damn noise didnt come at that time so they couldnt hear the problem.....

The belt cant be burnt out cos the car has extreme low milage...just 12,000 odd even though the car was bought 7 years ago....we hardly used it cos i was out of the country and my dad doesnt drive it that much...

Wat do u think the problem is?? Any place I can take it to get a proper diagnosis???

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Well very difficult to reccomend such a proper place to get it checked, my suggestion is since belts aren't really that expensive, if it is the high pitched screech that usually belts make then simply replace the belt,

the thing is as time goes on rubber corrodes a bit and loses a bit of the grip, maybe the noise which probably only comes when the belt is a bit hot etc, but i think the time wasted trying to diagnose the problem maybe more expensive than replacing the belt :jumping-smiley-013:

just my 2 cents,

The Don

Often times you get that noise when the belt is too loose. Even though the car has low miles it's the age of the belt that will degrade it. Best way to check your belt's tightness is to push the belt down at it's longest point where it goes from one pulley to another and you should have less than 1/2 inch play. If it's properly tightened and you still have the noise, use some belt dressing and most likely it will cure it. The belt dressing comes in a spray can so you just need to spray it on the belt.

Does the noise go away after you drive the car for a little bit? If so, then it's definitely a loose belt.

Good luck

Mani

Hi,

Had a similar noise on my Nissan a while back which no one could diagnose.

Took it to an A/C workshop and they found that the noise was coming from a worn out bearing in the A/C Belt Adjuster Pulley. It was a fairly simple thing to fix.

Edited by nira74

If it's properly tightened and you still have the noise, use some belt dressing and most likely it will cure it. The belt dressing comes in a spray can so you just need to spray it on the belt.

Does the noise go away after you drive the car for a little bit? If so, then it's definitely a loose belt.

Good luck

Mani

Thanks Mani for the reply...the noise does go away after I drive a bit....so i guess it is a loose belt...Im just wondering if this belt dressing is available in Sri Lanka...I have never heard about it before...any idea guys??