• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Original CR lost

Malinda85

4 hours ago, Malinda85 said:

Hi

I have lost my CR book of the car. I have obtained the book after settling the lease from the bank and the document is misplaced now. 

Can anyone tell me the issues with the duplicate one. Aren't there anyway to obtain an original

Hi so this was discussed many times before - in a nutshell you can apply for a duplicate CR from RMV. The duplicate is legal in all aspects. Some folks are reluctant to buy a car with duplicate CR - that's typical local BS. There's no legal way to obtain an original.

11 hours ago, matroska said:

Some folks are reluctant to buy a car with duplicate CR - that's typical local BS.

Well...it is local BS now...but there was a legitimate reason way back in the day when the "book" was actually a book and records were not electronic. Because the electronic records were not available for easy tracing and the book was just a hand filled (and then typewriter typed) book; duplicate books were often issues without proper updates to the manual files; and the book itself could easily be copied by anyone and simply make the claim that the manual file had not been updated by the RMV...also...the crude finish of the book meant that the seals and signatures were also crappy.

But yeah..now adays; with the registrations digitized every duplicate issue is properly updated in the file and printed through the system; so even if the duplicate document (the actual paper sheet) is forged; the system records would indicate whether a duplicate was issued or not....

So yes....another one of those things were Sri Lankans stick to absolute BS because of holding on to decades old beliefs :D