• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028:ย We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving!ย 

Looking for advise to buy a Toyota Harrier 300g (YOM 2003)

TG10E24

Hi Autolankans ๐Ÿ˜€,

I'm happy to get to know about Toyota Harrier 300g YOM 2003 (180000Km). Hope some one can help me :)

1. What are the common issues of this vehicle?
2. How is the maintainance cost?

3. How easy to find spare parts? is it like other Toyotas?

4. What is the best market price these days?

5. What is the fuel consumption of this? (Previous owner syays that it does 15Km/L ๐Ÿ˜)

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TG10E24
added tags

1. Your Harrier has a 1MZ-FE V6 engine with a U151 Auto transmission. Both of them come in "large" vehicles of Toyota models, which sadly is not very common in SL. For the most part both the engine and transmission are quite reliable if taken care of. For starters as with almost all Toyotas (and cars in general) the engine can be a victim of oil gelling. Check for that. The engine can also have a short engine knock when it is cold..well mostly first starts in the morning (oil not flowing properly and retarding engine of oil for a few seconds and the engine having a knock noise.) In a very few cases this has lead to piston pitting as well. Apart from that look for any oil leaks, because of sludging and the slight angle of the engine mount, the upper bank of the V6 can get starved of oil which can dry up the oil seals and cause it to crack.

Transmission...since it is an automatic...it is fairly reliable. Proper maintenance is key again....U151 transmission has solenoid issues at high mileages (in Japan there was a service campaign and maintenance schedules updates to check and change the solenoids if needed) which can cause gear slips.

It has an old fashoined AWD system which is decent but check for proper maintenance which should include diff oil changes. So look for oil leaks (or traces of it) listen to strange whines from the rear differential.

So...not to scare you off...it is a nice vehicle. and reliable but maintenance is key. Find a well maintained vehicle you will be good...and you will just have to keep up with the preemptive maintenances.

2. I am not going to comment on maintenance costs....as with any car it would need fluid changes, etc....and what else would be needed depends on the condition of your vehicle and how you use it (eg. a set of brake pads can last 20,000km or 10,000km depending on how you use the vehicle).

3. Sadly, models with the 1M-FE engine and U151 transmission are not that common in SL..but there are a few. You will not be able to find an array of parts from cheap Chinese ones to Toyota knock offs to genuine parts like you would for a Premio or Allion at every parts shop. But it can be found....some parts are interchangeable with other Toyota engine and transmissions. So some parts you will have to plan ahead of time.

Things like suspension, brakes, etc...are interchangeable as well...

4. No comment...

5. Your first response to that should have been "How many kilometers did you push per litre". Highly unlikely a 3L V6 would get that fuel figure....on the highway...conservative and consistent driving and the weather and conditions being perfect you probably can touch 15kmpl...but for city driving andย highway driving on an average day...no. A 2.4L AWD RAV4 will get about 6-7 strictly in the city...about 13ish on highway runs....so you need to be realistic about a 3L V6 doing that much. Toyota rated this car at 9kmpl for a AWD variant and about 10 for a 2WD version. Based on how the Japanese rated their fuel efficiency at the time...you should expect only about 70% of those figures at most (but actually less)ย ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

We have a newer model of the Harrier and it does not do 15 even if you pushed it, expect 6-7kmpl. Also our one had electrical issues so check for those, rear window would start twerking and make weird noises if we accidently pressed the button and the seats made a loud juddering effect and noise when trying to move front and back.ย 

I will say the roar/throaty gurgleย of the engine under some 'slight' throttle does make you giggle a bit in comparison any conventional 4 cylinder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

1. Your Harrier has a 1MZ-FE V6 engine with a U151 Auto transmission. Both of them come in "large" vehicles of Toyota models, which sadly is not very common in SL. For the most part both the engine and transmission are quite reliable if taken care of. For starters as with almost all Toyotas (and cars in general) the engine can be a victim of oil gelling. Check for that. The engine can also have a short engine knock when it is cold..well mostly first starts in the morning (oil not flowing properly and retarding engine of oil for a few seconds and the engine having a knock noise.) In a very few cases this has lead to piston pitting as well. Apart from that look for any oil leaks, because of sludging and the slight angle of the engine mount, the upper bank of the V6 can get starved of oil which can dry up the oil seals and cause it to crack.

Transmission...since it is an automatic...it is fairly reliable. Proper maintenance is key again....U151 transmission has solenoid issues at high mileages (in Japan there was a service campaign and maintenance schedules updates to check and change the solenoids if needed) which can cause gear slips.

It has an old fashoined AWD system which is decent but check for proper maintenance which should include diff oil changes. So look for oil leaks (or traces of it) listen to strange whines from the rear differential.

So...not to scare you off...it is a nice vehicle. and reliable but maintenance is key. Find a well maintained vehicle you will be good...and you will just have to keep up with the preemptive maintenances.

2. I am not going to comment on maintenance costs....as with any car it would need fluid changes, etc....and what else would be needed depends on the condition of your vehicle and how you use it (eg. a set of brake pads can last 20,000km or 10,000km depending on how you use the vehicle).

3. Sadly, models with the 1M-FE engine and U151 transmission are not that common in SL..but there are a few. You will not be able to find an array of parts from cheap Chinese ones to Toyota knock offs to genuine parts like you would for a Premio or Allion at every parts shop. But it can be found....some parts are interchangeable with other Toyota engine and transmissions. So some parts you will have to plan ahead of time.

Things like suspension, brakes, etc...are interchangeable as well...

4. No comment...

5. Your first response to that should have been "How many kilometers did you push per litre". Highly unlikely a 3L V6 would get that fuel figure....on the highway...conservative and consistent driving and the weather and conditions being perfect you probably can touch 15kmpl...but for city driving andย highway driving on an average day...no. A 2.4L AWD RAV4 will get about 6-7 strictly in the city...about 13ish on highway runs....so you need to be realistic about a 3L V6 doing that much. Toyota rated this car at 9kmpl for a AWD variant and about 10 for a 2WD version. Based on how the Japanese rated their fuel efficiency at the time...you should expect only about 70% of those figures at most (but actually less)ย ย 

ย 

Thanks so much for the valuable information.

1 hour ago, MaleCortana said:

We have a newer model of the Harrier and it does not do 15 even if you pushed it, expect 6-7kmpl. Also our one had electrical issues so check for those, rear window would start twerking and make weird noises if we accidently pressed the button and the seats made a loud juddering effect and noise when trying to move front and back.ย 

I will say the roar/throaty gurgleย of the engine under some 'slight' throttle does make you giggle a bit in comparison any conventional 4 cylinder

Thanks so much

11 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

I think this was common to the later model of Harrier and a few other Toyotas of the time.They act and sound wierd but still works right ? Tt was not necessarily the electricals but the things like the actuators being....well..not bad..but just not as refined in its operation as the older cars did. They work..but not as quietly nor smoothly. To make it worst the lubrication of the various little sprockets was also bad so windows going up and down sounds very awkward (the 2008 RAV4's windows going up and down sounded even worst than my 1999 Corolla wagon windows).

Either way...no matte what car one buys...it is always a good idea to test each and every electrical component of a car before purchasing. I am not talking about just pressing something on and off once to check if it works...I am talking about acting like a 5 year old hyper active boy having a "naughty boy" fit and going all ape crazy with the buttons and making things light up and open up many times :Dย 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:24 AM, iRage said:

I think this was common to the later model of Harrier and a few other Toyotas of the time.They act and sound wierd but still works right ? Tt was not necessarily the electricals but the things like the actuators being....well..not bad..but just not as refined in its operation as the older cars did. They work..but not as quietly nor smoothly. To make it worst the lubrication of the various little sprockets was also bad so windows going up and down sounds very awkward (the 2008 RAV4's windows going up and down sounded even worst than my 1999 Corolla wagon windows).

Either way...no matte what car one buys...it is always a good idea to test each and every electrical component of a car before purchasing. I am not talking about just pressing something on and off once to check if it works...I am talking about acting like a 5 year old hyper active boy having a "naughty boy" fit and going all ape crazy with the buttons and making things light up and open up many times :Dย 

Yep yep it still works!ย 

(Well the rear window would go up and down on an infinite loop for some reason)ย 

But the seats would I guess do their job of moving front and back. Other than days when the car is being cleaned out we don't really move the seats so it's not that bad :)

ย