• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

City Smokes 1.8l Premio

isurujosh

A friend of mine bought a 1.8L Premio(not Primera as informed to me earlier) and wanted to drag my city! both our cars are stock, A/T and had 60,000+ km on the dash!

It was a rolling start and I deliberately strated behind my friend as I hate the feeling of being overtaken! but much to my surprise the city took the lead instantly... and the Premio never seemed like getting anywhere close!

i remember I exited the race nearing 140km/h and the Premio was claimed to have exceeded 120-130 on exit!

I was so surprised at the outcome that I took the wheels of the Premio my self to test drive it ... Following were my observations...

1) Rev Eagerness

Even though City is only an economy car! the Rev eagerness of honda's was apparent, on the contrary the Premio reached the readline in a refined manner. the acceleration feeling is very detached!

2) Trasmission

Premio held back gear changes to achieve refinement whereas the city had rough/rapid gear changes.

Afterward I proceeded to race a famous Toyota Sprinter wit a world class air filter :) and the event was very dramatic... perhaps if the owner of that ride is on the forum, he may report what happned him self!

Afterward I proceeded to race a famous Toyota Sprinter wit a world class air filter :lol: and the event was very dramatic... perhaps if the owner of that ride is on the forum, he may report what happned him self!

yeah right lolz.. i ve already told ya in advance of what the outcome would be hehe... wel.. just dragged this plain ol vtec thingy called a city (i think ;-) luckily for the driver.. the letters "vtec" really helps in pushing him ahead of me.. lolz.. anyways the performance of my vandiya is somewhat better than i expected though.. even though the city clearly lead me i was kinda happy with the small progress made via the air filter... ;-)

Not to mention.. one bugger almost went to get some heavy duty bulletz shot right at his ass ;-) lmao.. i escaped as always hehe...

The city's torque is impressive and as such the acceleration is REALLY good... it being STOCK and beating me was not a biggie cuz I have already been beaten by another vtec.. which makes me think.. are all the vtec the same ? hehe..

As for my car, it has a very shitty torque though once it starts moving acceleration is pretty quick.. the stop-accelerate speed is bloody slow.. anybody got any ideas from where i could find a performance torque convertor for a AE110?

n isuru .. for the record.. 1.5L Sprinter --> approx 100 bhp how da f would ya want me to beat you eh? ;-) anyways.. am experimenting on ways to somehow "force" it go faster.. we ll see :-) until next time.. keep your fingers crossed.. heeheee... excellent drag though i must say!!!

Zz

Ha ha, Congrats Isuru, although,

A. You have a good power to weight advantage over the premio

B. The premio is meanty to be an affordable luxury car and thus the prolonged gear changes, which are quite loathed in cars of that class, and thus it would probably not be the best in acceloration.

So its not a lot to boast about he he, though if you can find one drag a Manual premio and see, though the premio still is quite a heavy car,

I have driven a City Auto once, and to be honest the acceloration of that car for an auto is downright scary, because atleast for me it felt very light, and was just about ready to go off the road (atleast thats the sensation I had), and I had quite an entertaining run to the airport (since I was late !!). So I guess in a raw sense for the price you pay for it its quite a fun car to drive,

If I bump into you the next time I am in SL, I'll let you drive my old Mirage, its not as High Tech as the Civic since its just DOHC, no Mivec, and it does feel really light, cos it is, and the engine isn't as powerful as the City (possibly) ........ anyways you tell me your own opinion, It just to me atleast inspires a bit more confidence when it comes to handelling he he.

Nexgen Bro, I think the best option for you is if possible and if you can finance it drop in a different engine to your Corolla, I don't quite remember but isnt there a 1.8L engine that comes to the Corolla Ceres or the Marino which would fit in nicely with yours, and maybe you won't have to change much apart from the ECU (cos being both Corollas might be utilizing the same wiring room and sharing most of the electrics).

I think the density of AT fluid affects the performance of the torque convertor, but remember Bro, Corolla's might be built for refinement and luxury and thus the prolonged gear changes maybe intended, not a result of a faliure of your A/T system. I am not sure if there is a way you can get the gears to change faster, but maybe there is.

The Don

As for my car, it has a very shitty torque though once it starts moving acceleration is pretty quick.. the stop-accelerate speed is bloody slow.. anybody got any ideas from where i could find a performance torque convertor for a AE110?

Dude, do u really hate manual transmission that much..?? Why on earth are u looking for a performance torque convertor..?? Conver it to Manual instead...!! Cmon man, dont be so lazy to press da clutch and change gears.. Thats a part of real driving pleasure..!! And u can always downshift and com outa corners quick..

PS: lemme giv u a small tip also.. nex time if u meet Isuru, go for a sprint with him in a road with some tight corners and some obstacles.. belive me the outcome might change..!! :lol:

Edited by MrCat

PS: lemme giv u a small tip also.. nex time if u meet Isuru, go for a sprint with him in a road with some tight corners and some obstacles.. belive me the outcome might change..!! :P

this is it! everytime u come to AL ... u just destroy me! :lol:

bdw cool down nexgen bro! i was jst kiddin wit the "world-class air filter" comment! u know i am a cool guy ney :D

y not ellaborate on the potential third competotor in our drag! [the t-56 bullet] :D

A. You have a good power to weight advantage over the premio

/I know power-to-weight ratio plays a big role! but for top speed the final hp figure matters a lot too (remember Veyron has less power-2-weight than Mclaren F1) ... I checked the top end of the Premio, especially 80-120... is way more eager in the Honda! more than power-to-ratio, the eargerness of the engine played a role!

B. The premio is meanty to be an affordable luxury car and thus the prolonged gear changes, which are quite loathed in cars of that class, and thus it would probably not be the best in acceloration.

/City is meant to be an even more affordable car! City does not have anything to do with honda performance! but i agree wit u on the "prolonged gear changes" comment, which is y i included that in my explanation as to y da premio lost

So its not a lot to boast about he he, though if you can find one drag a Manual premio and see, though the premio still is quite a heavy car,

/Jee bro! i know where my car stands, i wasnt trying to say city is good or anything! just went to explain a few Honda chracteristics and how Honda manage to survive wit lower displacements...

forget manual premio ... a manual non-vtec city smoked away from me in accelaration (I could have tried to catch it in the high end... but i was mentally too down to do that after being overtaken :lol)

I have driven a City Auto once, and to be honest the acceloration of that car for an auto is downright scary, because atleast for me it felt very light, and was just about ready to go off the road

/the car z very stable in a straight line! corners and bumps are the problem for it!

If I bump into you the next time I am in SL,

/u'd anyway have to meet me! :lol:

I'll let you drive my old Mirage, its not as High Tech as the Civic since its just DOHC, no Mivec, and it does feel really light, cos it is, and the engine isn't as powerful as the City (possibly) ........ anyways you tell me your own opinion, It just to me atleast inspires a bit more confidence when it comes to handelling he he.

/Dunno abt. Mirage city z 115hp

Nexgen Bro, I think the best option for you is if possible and if you can finance it drop in a different engine to your Corolla, I don't quite remember but isnt there a 1.8L engine that comes to the Corolla Ceres or the Marino which would fit in nicely with yours, and maybe you won't have to change much apart from the ECU (cos being both Corollas might be utilizing the same wiring room and sharing most of the electrics).

/I was thinking the same! air filters nd stuff like that make very little difference... like they say... "There is no replacement for displacement"

/I was thinking the same! air filters nd stuff like that make very little difference... like they say... "There is no replacement for displacement"

The ceres and the marino uses 1500cc engine. The same what you get in AE110 version

hehe! isuru dude.. i aint pissed over anything man!! lolz... cool it.. lmao.. wel it was a rush and that is what I am searching for mainly in driving.. hmm. thanks for the tip Mr.Cat.. Isuru.. you are heading somewhere where you dont wanna be ;-) lolz..

as for the conversion of the auto to manual.. I have heard plenty of people complaining about the conversion as it is NOT always the way it should be unlike the cars that comes as manual in the beginning.. furthermore.. its ma dadz car :-) so, the auto makes things easier for him and I respect that.. no transmission conversion trust me!!

Performance torque converters have quite a good effect on accelerations if one is installed but sadly none is available for ma "vandiya" sniff.. :-( well dropping in another engine would be the most appropriate.. there are 4AGE engines out there which has a kick to performance but unfortunately..i aint no rich kid heehee... so my intention right now.. or ma goal for that matter frankly.. is to improve performance to the limits of THIS model and see how it compares.. but my strengths are frankly in driving accuracy and control.. i think isuru.. you gotta have a go with your "vandiya" on a real circuit type route ;-) bah just kidding.. i understand your situ.. dnt get into a situation where its gonna cost you.. so if you are game den we could have a go! ;-)

Today i saw a corolla 1.6 L engined car, the thing about these corolla engines as The Don says are not refined for performance but for comfort and ease of driving... but this 4AGE engine (not sure whether it could be fit) has some pretty good potential.. there are seperate forums out there just for this engine!!!

to wrap it up!! my so called "drags" ;-) are basically to keep me informed about how my car performs with the modifications.. i know it is pointless but it is just for experience n FUN to do it.. with great thanks to porkster!!! if god wills I will be getting my own vehicle with time.. no decision though cuz no cash heeeheee...

@ isuru - whats the point of driving in a bloody straight line??!!! ;-) along wit some freaking soldierz wantin 2 put a bullet through ya literally.. hehe... for the purpose of "news", isuru was caught by the army buggers on the way back from the roundabout at greenpath.. he was like begging for mercy... on his knees practically! good thing those soldierz were good hearted else ya d never know where isuru would ve ended up!! ;-) hyak hyak... me escaped cuz i saw the moronz in front and slowed a bit.. isuru went to bump into a soldier too as i remember hehe... take it easy man!! :-)

next time.. itz gonna be a circuit type race with plenty of braking and skidding etc.. letz make it happen!!!

Zz

@ isuru - whats the point of driving in a bloody straight line??!!! ;-) along wit some freaking soldierz wantin 2 put a bullet through ya literally.. hehe... for the purpose of "news", isuru was caught by the army buggers on the way back from the roundabout at greenpath.. he was like begging for mercy... on his knees practically! good thing those soldierz were good hearted else ya d never know where isuru would ve ended up!! ;-) hyak hyak... me escaped cuz i saw the moronz in front and slowed a bit.. isuru went to bump into a soldier too as i remember hehe... take it easy man!! :-)

next time.. itz gonna be a circuit type race with plenty of braking and skidding etc.. letz make it happen!!!

Zz

nah everything was under control! so to speak! jst dat i hate to be harsh on the brakes :P ...

for the sprint i shall arrange MrCat or Rajitha(Opel Astra) or there are another two non-vtec citys(manual tho) ... I am a responsible rider :D ! i drive fast when i am convinced that my driving is safe for others!(like in a straight line wit good visibility) ... but if u meet me on the rd. by chance i might go on a sprint(as i often do) but an arranged sprint wit me is unlikely ;)

nah everything was under control! so to speak! jst dat i hate to be harsh on the brakes :P ...

for the sprint i shall arrange MrCat or Rajitha(Opel Astra) or there are another two non-vtec citys(manual tho) ... I am a responsible rider :D ! i drive fast when i am convinced that my driving is safe for others!(like in a straight line wit good visibility) ... but if u meet me on the rd. by chance i might go on a sprint(as i often do) but an arranged sprint wit me is unlikely ;)

i got one word for ya!! COWARD!! lmao... by the way.. i gotta be more careful as i have noticed my brakes get bind quite soon.. lolz.. i thought Mr.Car was Rajitha.. hehe... so tell me a time you will be on the roads eh? not that it is to be arranged.. normally what time? so i could follow you and start up den.. lolz..

sigh.. it is guys like you that ruin "Honda"s reputation for controllability and speed.. unles... you wanna sprint ;-) hyak hyak..

Zz

i got one word for ya!! COWARD!! lmao... by the way.. i gotta be more careful as i have noticed my brakes get bind quite soon.. lolz.. i thought Mr.Car was Rajitha.. hehe... so tell me a time you will be on the roads eh? not that it is to be arranged.. normally what time? so i could follow you and start up den.. lolz..

sigh.. it is guys like you that ruin "Honda"s reputation for controllability and speed.. unles... you wanna sprint ;-) hyak hyak..

Zz

young lad! so the sarcasm continues :huh LOOSER! don't count ur chiks b4 they are all hatched... how dare r u 2 discount my sprints! but i prefer to ride responsibly now!

but i prefer to ride responsibly now!

Ya right...!! u`ll be all so Conservative and drivin like a chicken till somone flashes a headlight from behind.. Then wat`ll hapn to ur carefulness..?? ;)

A sprint arnd town would be fun, but da risk factor of being busted is da problem right..?? These days are really bad for doin any kinda fast driving within da city bcoz of da bad situation of da country..!! We`ll hav to figer out a proper route... ;)

@ neXgen: no man, Rajitha is somone else.. Bugger is also known as a "living legend", among friends.. :D that guy has done som srious "drunk" driving untill he eventually got busted...!! :P

Edited by MrCat

I asked that too, still waiting for the reply!

i am sure that KLM(if not u) has heard the term ('eager to rev") many times in his life! as i see it the term can be defined with respect to following chracteristics!

1) How rapidly the RPM reaches the redline/cut out point.

2) The cut/out point. Mines 6800 and Premio is (5500-6000)

3) How attached the feeling of accelartion (for instance When i floored in the Premio, the response was rather late, the fact that my descision to floor is being subjected to lot of electronic commiting was apparent.

/please note that I do not say that my car z eager to rev. in itz own right, i have only said it is eager to rev in comparison to Premio 1.8L! (I am making this comment coz i know there are few ppl eager to bash anybody or anything based on a single word or so - i am only describing this as an engine chracteristic)

The classic example for rev eagerness is S2000, it has points 1 + 2 + 3 above + the torque peak is very late, which means to acheive high performance the driver must keep the engine boiling in high RPM all the time! this means frequent gear shifts too! some ppl lik this and some dont! itz up to the individual!

ride responsibly???!!! yeah right.. the army buggers over at greenpath DID stop you for drivin responsibly nah? and you did kinda skid and parked da car is abnormal angle towards the pavement no? I suppose there was some animal running in front at the time eh? lolz.. responsible driving.. dude.. to earn "respect" you gotta risk.. it is not the part where you win or lose.. it is the part you get through.. so do you wanna bring out the lion in ya? or is it the chicken stil cackling as alwayz? ;-)

the car needs a driver not a literal "bayagulla" ;-) lolz..

i love traffic!! good for cutting between vehicles and three wheelers.. got for control improvement.. bad for speed.. ya serious mrcat about your buddy going about drunk driving?? sheesh.. i d better stay clear when he comes with isuru lolz..

ride responsibly???!!! yeah right.. the army buggers over at greenpath DID stop you for drivin responsibly nah? and you did kinda skid and parked da car is abnormal angle towards the pavement no? I suppose there was some animal running in front at the time eh? lolz.. responsible driving.. dude.. to earn "respect" you gotta risk.. it is not the part where you win or lose.. it is the part you get through.. so do you wanna bring out the lion in ya? or is it the chicken stil cackling as alwayz? ;-)

the car needs a driver not a literal "bayagulla" ;-) lolz..

i love traffic!! good for cutting between vehicles and three wheelers.. got for control improvement.. bad for speed.. ya serious mrcat about your buddy going about drunk driving?? sheesh.. i d better stay clear when he comes with isuru lolz..

:lol youg lad LOOSER(still)!

a picture speaks a thousand words ... look wot u have effectively done by asking me 4 a sprint after u lost to me in a drag! :D

untitledpn8.png

on a more serious note: I wont sprint in a public rd. deliberately, only times i drive fast (try to race) in public roads are...

a ) when the road is a stretch wit clear visibility

b ) Some stranger in a decent vehicle overtakes me... I love eaitng SUVs

c ) Any young lady driving fast :P - still cherish this young lady wit a honda city who drives fast on galle road...

in essence if u r keen on a sprint let us go to pannala and do a timed lap!

:lol youg lad LOOSER(still)!

a picture speaks a thousand words ... look wot u have effectively done by asking me 4 a sprint after u lost to me in a drag! :D

untitledpn8.png

on a more serious note: I wont sprint in a public rd. deliberately, only times i drive fast (try to race) in public roads are...

a ) when the road is a stretch wit clear visibility

b ) Some stranger in a decent vehicle overtakes me... I love eaitng SUVs

c ) Any young lady driving fast :P - still cherish this young lady wit a honda city who drives fast on galle road...

in essence if u r keen on a sprint let us go to pannala and do a timed lap!

young lad? lmao.. oh give me a break chicko ;-) i accept i lost so it aint no biggie.. but you are making you eh.. abnormal "cautioness" get the best of you.. and drag is basically a test of engine (for auto) .. nothing more.. so if you hit the ceiling cuz you beat me.. you d better come back to earth lolz...

it is not a plain ol sprint i want.. i want a lap with some good turns deeming good cornering/controlling skills.. now THATs a a real test!! by the way.. nice pic!! family photo i suppose? ;-) just kiddin!! lmao...

Zz