• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dashboard Paint (Vinyl) - Pajero Mk1

Rj_c137

Good Day guys. I love DIY jobs. Recently I've been thinking about giving the dashboard on my 91 Mitsubishi Pajero Mk1 a makeover. It's not horrible looking at all and I can tolerate it, but the metal speaker covers on either side have lost their color and I want to paint these again. But to give it a uniform look I'm thinking about painting the entire dashboard and along with it the console box and everything else. Now about the dashboard it feels like it has a soft layer of vinyl on top, and it has stood the test of time for 30 odd years. But something has melted behind the "Oh Shit!" bar and it just wouldn't come off, and that particular area looks pretty nasty.  

I I've seen a few posts cautioning against painting dashboards with improper paint that would either peel off or cook under the hot sun and release toxic gases. But videos I've checked out online suggest this Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint, but can't seem to find it here in our resplendent  isle.

Has anyone of your DIYers had any luck with painting your dashboard, I'd plenty appreciate any advice. Thanks and stay safe. 

Edited by Rj_c137

11 hours ago, Rj_c137 said:

Good Day guys. I love DIY jobs. Recently I've been thinking about giving the dashboard on my 91 Mitsubishi Pajero Mk1 a makeover. It's not horrible looking at all and I can tolerate it, but the metal speaker covers on either side have lost their color and I want to paint these again. But to give it a uniform look I'm thinking about painting the entire dashboard and along with it the console box and everything else. Now about the dashboard it feels like it has a soft layer of vinyl on top, and it has stood the test of time for 30 odd years. But something has melted behind the "Oh Shit!" bar and it just wouldn't come off, and that particular area looks pretty nasty.  

I I've seen a few posts cautioning against painting dashboards with improper paint that would either peel off or cook under the hot sun and release toxic gases. But videos I've checked out online suggest this Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint, but can't seem to find it here in our resplendent  isle.

Has anyone of your DIYers had any luck with painting your dashboard, I'd plenty appreciate any advice. Thanks and stay safe. 

Read through project R blog in this forum, I recall komi painting or dyeing his dash

Also there is a mainstream importer of  pajero parts

KTS , he stocks dashboards, inquire in to that as well. I've no experience working with them.

9 minutes ago, tiv said:

Read through project R blog in this forum, I recall komi painting or dyeing his dash

Also there is a mainstream importer of  pajero parts

KTS , he stocks dashboards, inquire in to that as well. I've no experience working with them.

Thanks a bunch. That's quite a read. I had actually considered the possibility of buying a new-old dashboard but it'd be tough to ride a manual with an arm and a leg missing so I've kinda scratched that idea for now.

I'll keep digging Project R to see what I can find. Thanks again.