• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Transferring an old vehicle book to my name

Accello RPA

Question

Hi Experts, I need your help in resolving a problem i was having. 

I'm planning to buy a Nissan B211 car (2nd owner) but is in open papers. (the current one bought it but never transferred)

The last transfer date is in 1999. So this is an old book type i'm not familiar with. And was wondering if i will face any issues while transferring to my name and is there any additional documents i would need to do the transfer. 

Please help!

PHOTO-2021-05-19-11-36-22.jpg

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

Even if you put the car to transfer these days, you will get the book back by 2081... By that time im guessing you will be dead. So might as well run with open papers or dont buy it. 

hahaha :D 

Dude i'm serious here. I don't want to get in to any legal issues after i bought the car. 

9 minutes ago, Accello RPA said:

hahaha :D 

Dude i'm serious here. I don't want to get in to any legal issues after i bought the car. 

machan im also serious. I bought a car too and put it to transfer. I know il never get the book back or will be able to sell the car with my book back.. so a buyya asked the car to buy without the book also cuz RMV loves to be shut down until covid ends. 

Personally il never buy a car with open books to get into any legal issues to begin with. People can say its ok to buy but who knows if there is some issue in it? you are f**ked for life. There are enough of good cars with clear documents by the owner. 

Edited by PreseaLover

6 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

machan im also serious. I bought a car too and put it to transfer. I know il never get the book back or will be able to sell the car with my book back.. so a buyya asked the car to buy without the book also cuz RMV loves to be shut down until covid ends. 

Personally il never buy a car with open books to get into any legal issues to begin with. People can say its ok to buy but who knows if there is some issue in it? you are f**ked for life. There are enough of good cars with clear documents by the owner. 

Thanks machan for your advice. Will keep that in mind. 

1 hour ago, Accello RPA said:

Hi Experts, I need your help in resolving a problem i was having. 

I'm planning to buy a Nissan B211 car (2nd owner) but is in open papers. (the current one bought it but never transferred)

The last transfer date is in 1999. So this is an old book type i'm not familiar with. And was wondering if i will face any issues while transferring to my name and is there any additional documents i would need to do the transfer. 

Please help!

PHOTO-2021-05-19-11-36-22.jpg

Nice choice of car for starters. 

This will be an issue IF the car's registered owner submitted his MTA form set some time during the last 22 years. While this is not likely - it is certainly not impossible.  If the seller has both sets of the MTA form that means previous owner has not submitted.

As far as I know what RMV do is inquire if there is any objection to this transfer and if there isn't within a set period of time they transfer. If previous owner has submitted then you will have to pay a fine.

Either way selling or buying on open papers is NOT legal. But as Presealover said it is almost impossible to transfer nowadays. 

NEVER SELL or BUY for open papers. I know an incident, a guy sold his van on 2004 for open papers. After 15 years, in 2019 he got a letter from Colombo Municipal to pay a huge fine for that van (for not paying parking fees). Still, the van was under his name.