• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can Adsl Turn Into Wifi?

Hola

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what will hapen to my ADSL modem? Is it fixed to that? Will the wifi router deliver the same speed?

Well as far as data transfer in general is concerned, WiFi is still slower (11 Mbps) than Ethernet (connection with network cables running at 100Mbps). But you won't see a difference in your internet browsing speeds because the ADSL home package has a download bandwidth of 512Kbps anyway.

After ya buy a wifi ADSL router, make sure that router has a modem inbuilt (normally all routers do so but better check). Then there is no need for your old modem but better keep it in case you come across any problems.. it would be a quick fixthru.

Wifi would be slower in LAN (data transferring between machines connecting to that router), internet speeds would remain the same as memphis said..

Zz

30K is a very hefty price tag for a wifi router, i think you should be able to get one for arround 20K

if your current modem is a network modem and not a USB one maybe you can get away by purchasing an WI FI access point which is cheaper, than a fully fledged router

The Don

Thanks guys. Thank you vry much. I will post back the action soon..Thank you for the valuable info

Yo Hola,

You need an ADSL wireless router. I gots me a Cisco Linksys cost me around 18K from Singapore. If you want one lemme know as I will be going in a few weeks I can pick one up for you cheap. They're easy to setup and I can configure it for you too bro.

Cheers, Porky

Yo Hola,

You need an ADSL wireless router. I gots me a Cisco Linksys cost me around 18K from Singapore. If you want one lemme know as I will be going in a few weeks I can pick one up for you cheap. They're easy to setup and I can configure it for you too bro.

Cheers, Porky

Thanks dear Porkster, You are very helpfull!!

I heard there is another brand called Olgatroz from Russia (new brand). You can buy it for around 10k. Do you have any idea of that Porkster? :action-smiley-060:

Beauty of our country, we always have the likes of porkster willing and able to help ;)

Actually overdrive things like wifi can be picked up cheaper in the UK due to there being a bigger market for such devices

The Don

I second that. Its a very rare breed!

Thanks dear Porkster, You are very helpfull!!

I heard there is another brand called Olgatroz from Russia (new brand). You can buy it for around 10k. Do you have any idea of that Porkster? :)

I second that. Its a very rare breed!

Yo Hola,

Gee thanks for the kind sentiments and also to the Don, I am here to help where I can n keep my trap shut on where I can't :P

As for the specific Russina brand ....AHEM..... no clue never hear I only go with Cisco.....Russian I only savor caviar....and the finer things in life.....as you may full well know my fellow toy n**ga :(

Cheers, Porky

As for the specific Russina brand ....AHEM..... no clue never hear I only go with Cisco.....Russian I only savor caviar....and the finer things in life.....as you may full well know my fellow toy n**ga :)

Cheers, Porky

I'm sure Velocity would agree whole heartedly :P:(

Yo Hola,

Gee thanks for the kind sentiments and also to the Don, I am here to help where I can n keep my trap shut on where I can't :(

As for the specific Russina brand ....AHEM..... no clue never hear I only go with Cisco.....Russian I only savor caviar....and the finer things in life.....as you may full well know my fellow toy n**ga :)

Cheers, Porky

bro you sure you dont know this brand? Its quiet cheap. Olgatroz is a good brand i heard, I thought you have used it..sorry.

regds-Hola(Toy N*ga)

bro you sure you dont know this brand? Its quiet cheap. Olgatroz is a good brand i heard, I thought you have used it..sorry.

regds-Hola(Toy N*ga)

Yo TG,

Hmmmm yes that brand sound familiar come to think of it but it is veeeeery expensive, waaaaay out of your league. :ninja:

But to answer your question yes I have configured them before :ninja:

Cheers, Porky

from my experience.. a router varies mainly in its interface and not in terms of durability.. i ve been using a Planel router over here and it has undergone all the traumas no other modem wouldve gone through.. lmao.. (survived a rain when i accidently left the windows open, fell down onto the floor etc.) and it still works..

if you are so keen on going wireless go for a reputed brand if ya ve got the big bucks else normal brands (should have a bit of a good repo mind ya!) would work fine.. Cisco, DNet, Aztech etc. are all good.. dnt worry about the specs unless you are concerned in LAN (internal network) speeds as the net speeds would not change despite it being wireless...

Olgotraz??!! soundz like some shit outta alcatraz... get somethin with a good repo man...

Zz

Olgotraz??!! soundz like some shit outta alcatraz... get somethin with a good repo man...

Zz

Hi ZZ,

You're right Olgatroz has a very very bad reputation... :unsure:

Cheers, Porky

from my experience.. a router varies mainly in its interface and not in terms of durability.. i ve been using a Planel router over here and it has undergone all the traumas no other modem wouldve gone through.. lmao.. (survived a rain when i accidently left the windows open, fell down onto the floor etc.) and it still works..

if you are so keen on going wireless go for a reputed brand if ya ve got the big bucks else normal brands (should have a bit of a good repo mind ya!) would work fine.. Cisco, DNet, Aztech etc. are all good.. dnt worry about the specs unless you are concerned in LAN (internal network) speeds as the net speeds would not change despite it being wireless...

Zz

Hey

When u go wifi please make sure you are secure enaugh. May be your neighbor also can use your internet and if like can hack your eny thing

Hi ZZ,

You're right Olgatroz has a very very bad reputation... :unsure:

Cheers, Porky

whatever rhymes wit alcatraz cant be dat good... heehee..

@ aswe - yeah man.. wifi could be tapped too.. use some encryption technique or password based usage system.. not really sure how it works though.. never used wifi up2 now..

Zz

Hey

When u go wifi please make sure you are secure enaugh. May be your neighbor also can use your internet and if like can hack your eny thing

ya thats right i went to my neighbors house to check this issue and i conect to my network using a lap and saw the wireless strength is abt 37% :unsure: and the internet is working smoothly

so i gave all computers ip addreses to the router and blocked the other addreses and i installed a gud firewall to protect hacking

Edited by GihanFX

• 2 years later...

guys...i'm looking for a wireless adsl router for my slt adsl connection at my house...i already have a normal adsl modem, will i need that when i get a wireless router?...also can anyone enlighten me about this port thing,cause i've heard people make a fuss over this 4-port router thing,and i dont know what it means...

and guys can anyone suggest me a place i can get one of these cheap...even used is ok

thanks