• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Higher Milage Cars ?????

welcome

Question

Hi friends,

I 'm on hunting for a new car for my friend.Civic,110 & familia are in the list with limited bugdet of 1.4 m.Civic being the top priority, we found it hard to catch a one above 2000 YOM.There were enough 97 & 98 models just below our limit but still fussing as the milege of those cars are almost 300,000 (Assume its genune to some ext.)

So,pls give yr thoght & advise on whether to buy these cars or shift to another. Also,anxiuos to know when it needs(milege) to do engine swap or sth for gasoline car ,esp Honda ?

Thanks in advance.

Tks fuzzo for yr speed reply,

There was a one with GC plate for 13.4 mn with 280 /km on the meter.Many a one in this price change is above 200 mark.

Anyway,bit confused abt prices.There was one 301-xxx asking 1.48 mn ,not even like to negociate.( @ Kurunegala )

Hi there

Can't comment on the pricing as I do not live there. But, anything over 200,000km you must be careful. It's not just engine wear and tear you should look at. Rather, over all wear and tear.

More specially in countries where a vehicle spends more time in congested traffic, the wear and tear is much higher, compared to a vehicle that does the same amount of milage on the open roads and consistant speeds.

Tks fuzzo for yr speed reply,

There was a one with GC plate for 13.4 mn with 280 /km on the meter.Many a one in this price change is above 200 mark.

Anyway,bit confused abt prices.There was one 301-xxx asking 1.48 mn ,not even like to negociate.( @ Kurunegala )

A GC number plate with 280,000kms? are you sure? What car is this?

A GC number plate with 280,000kms? are you sure? What car is this?

i saw a H number plate 2001 accent with 320,000 at Car Smile service station and that car is fully hacked and saw front and rear crash repairs roof repairs etc and the interior color is Dark black n the poor service bugger is trying to clean the interior :jumping-smiley-013:

i saw a H number plate 2001 accent with 320,000 at Car Smile service station and that car is fully hacked and saw front and rear crash repairs roof repairs etc and the interior color is Dark black n the poor service bugger is trying to clean the interior :jumping-smiley-013:

Where do you think these cars go everyday? Point Pedro to Galle?

What would ya guys assume to be the normal or recommend lifespan of a vehicle in terms of kilometers done.. please do specify factors which you base your answers on too! :-) My dadz sprinters doin nearly 100k and its in quite good condition i should say..

Zz

Actually a petrol car can almost go ahead around for 400 K for sure to the limit of 600 K, and if taken care gud enough more. dats as i know. LOOK at the older cars? arnt they running well?

anyways, ducan is correct, after 200K be very careful, if the car has not been treated nice, you will experience very diff responces from it.

well frankly my dadz havin the concept of this being his last car.. so i d wanna what would its life expectancy be.. toyotaz n nissan have an overall good lifespan.. mah dad had a 1979 Datsun Sunny which was in quite good runnable condition which he unfortunately sold for 100k.. could ve modded da **** outta it.. lol..

Zz

I aggree with Pila.

wear and tear on engine suspention steering etc can be repaired quite succesfully repaired, the plastics inside if not treated properly can be extremely difficult to recondition especially since its fairly difficult to source those little parts or get rid of those annoying noises that tend to develop as time goes on,

But in countries like ours I think the biggest problem is corrotion as time goes on, cos once it sets in on parts of the body and chassy which cant be replaced (atleast in SL), the car is never quite the same again cos it keeps coming back on the same location, have had very bad experiences like that in an older car we used to have, it was leaking all over the place through corrotion,

The Don

Actulay a good petrol engine is maintainable for its original state. Diesels are always a menance. Even a brand new diesel engine will go out of sight after 50,000kms

Did u have another of ur polls to come up with this info? Max, whats the milage on ur diesel, man? Engine out of sight yet? :rolleyes:

Hola most diesel vehicles that come to SL have already done over 100K before they are auctioned, especially true of vans lorries etc a lot of the vehicles you see under that at sales have had their clocks doctored,

remember diesels achieve maximum power at lower rpm's and thus wear and tear is actually less than petrols, though there is more maintenance involved, usually its the diesel pumps, glow plug assemblies etc which give you trouble in diesles, a bit hardier than petrols in some sense cos the electrics isnt as complicated

corrosion was a major prob which i faced.. you can practically see the freakin road next to the brake pedal as you drive! :-) got it reconditioned nevertheless and cost a economical amount..

it is way harder gettin the interior done yeah.. engine could be somehow done but the small plastics as Don says brings about unwanted hassle.. oh btw.. Do you guys know any place where I could get a Toyota Sprinter Double DIN Cover plate and also da small cabin compartment in between both of the front seats? Plastics.. lolz..

Zz

Actulay a good petrol engine is maintainable for its original state. Diesels are always a menance. Even a brand new diesel engine will go out of sight after 50,000kms

Hey Hola,

I have seen many Diesel trucks and lorries done over 400,000 miles and are still in very good nick . Some of them have accumilated that within 3/4 yrs from YOM. . A Diesel lorry with 400,000 miles is not a uncommon sight at all in many countries. Especially in Europe and US these lorries do a journey of 4000-5000 miles on one trip. So Diesels are not Always a menance and not all of them go bust after 50,000 km.

A Couple of weeks ago I got into a mini cab with a friend of mine. It was a 2000 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 (petrol) and it had 287,000 miles on the clock. When I asked the driver, he mentioned the car has been with him for last 4 yrs and had no major repairs on the engine yet.

Modern car engines are much more durable and reliable than the engines of our father's generation. Therefore I would say if you use good quality oil and service the vehicle in proper intervals most of the modern engines are capable of reaching 150,000 miles safely.

corrosion was a major prob which i faced.. you can practically see the freakin road next to the brake pedal as you drive! :-) got it reconditioned nevertheless and cost a economical amount..

it is way harder gettin the interior done yeah.. engine could be somehow done but the small plastics as Don says brings about unwanted hassle.. oh btw.. Do you guys know any place where I could get a Toyota Sprinter Double DIN Cover plate and also da small cabin compartment in between both of the front seats? Plastics.. lolz..

Zz

Man if you have the patience, go to delkanda and sort through the scrap they have there, and more often than not especially with popular models you can find what you are looking for,

But the easiest thing to do is to borrow the part from somebody and get it made from fiber glass, wont cost that much and i have seen some people do a very fine job with it, once i got my uncle who is a professional artist to do a part up for me, i didnt have a sample so he took the part from the other side made a mirror image mould of that and then first made it from cataloy and then gave me the mould to give to a fiberglass dude, the part looked authentic man, really good job.

i beg to differ.. My father's always been into diesels and has owned only diesels.

The only magor engine that we've done so far was a overhaul in the gemini cos it was suffering from undercompression.. and thats a 17 year olf car with nearly 200,000km... and the g.vitara is running great ar nearly 120,000 now...

Diesels engines really arent as troublesome as one would think, provided you maintain it well.

(sorry for going a bit OT)

But the easiest thing to do is to borrow the part from somebody and get it made from fiber glass, wont cost that much and i have seen some people do a very fine job with it, once i got my uncle who is a professional artist to do a part up for me, i didnt have a sample so he took the part from the other side made a mirror image mould of that and then first made it from cataloy and then gave me the mould to give to a fiberglass dude, the part looked authentic man, really good job.

Hey Don,

I have been looking for someone to turn out a part i need in my cars interior. It's a small part but hard to find. Think you can recommend one?

Edited by Memphis

Hey Don,

I have been looking for someone to turn out a part i need in my cars interior. It's a small part but hard to find. Think you can recommend one?

Memphis, let me check with a friend of mine and let you know, i am currently not in the country, and the person who did it for me isn't in the business anymore, but a friend of mine reccomended somebody else since in my old car there are some things that can do with replacement or reconditioning,

if you tell me your car maybe i might be able to help you find the part

The Don

Man if you have the patience, go to delkanda and sort through the scrap they have there, and more often than not especially with popular models you can find what you are looking for,

delkanda would be the viable option bro.. but the prob is that especially this variant of Toyota namely the Sprinter Vintage 1995 model is VERY hard to find.. finding a headlamp along took a long week of searching but stil it would be far more cheaper trying to buy rather than getting it made yeah?

interesting.. i too would like to know who could do this don.. in case i fail in my quest for the interior parts at Delkanda.. and fiberglass would obviously be stronger than plastics.. a plus point :-) lemme knw bro.. thanx!

Zz

Memphis, let me check with a friend of mine and let you know, i am currently not in the country, and the person who did it for me isn't in the business anymore, but a friend of mine reccomended somebody else since in my old car there are some things that can do with replacement or reconditioning,

if you tell me your car maybe i might be able to help you find the part

The Don

Thanks Don. My car is a '94 Toyota Cynos

I'm looking to replace the AC vents and a triangular shaped part covering the side mirror's connecting screws on the car door (drivers side).

Edited by Memphis