• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Ideal Tool Kit

Elvis_Pil

Question

Ok Guys heres some thing that will be helpful for everyone- list the ideal set of tools you need to carry around in your car tool kit. Remember the list needs to consider the most useful and the most practical- Also any non standard tools that should be included as well. Pictures would be nice. The list may vary depending on the country of origin of your car as well i.e European verses Japanese and the vehicle owner's know-how as well. I recently infact came across a very useful gadget that hooked up to your car’s DC outlet- with it you can jump start another car or even inflate a flat tyre. It also had a decent flash light and hazard light. Anyone using one of these? It comes in a practical size.

10 answers to this question

Hi

Good topic Pila!

Most cars these days come with a basic tool kit. But these are the basic tools I carry....

1. 13, 12, 8 Spanners (for most common nuts and bolts)

2. Shifting Spanner

3. Phillips Screw Driver

4. Flat Screw Driver

5. Set of good pliers

6. Flash Light (torch)

7. Warning reflective triangles.

8. Fire extinguisher.

9. Rechargeable "jump start". (as mentioned by Pila).

10. Accurate tyre pressure gauge (never trust the gauges found at petrol stations)

11. Tyre valve key

12. Puncture repair kit (for the off-roading types)

13. Letherman type multi tool (invaluable)

14. Tow rope (never know when u will need one).

15. First aid kit

16. Set of Wheel-stops (don't have to look for bricks/stone to secure the car from rolling when changing a flat. Especially on those up hill roads)

Cheers

well i have a gadget as you have mentioned above, it connects to the DC outlet, i can use it for a flat tyre, have a flash light and hazard light, but i just checked now also, ther is nothing wher i can start another car using this :D

this was given to ma father by a friend of him, someone who lives aborad as i can remember, yeh its handy.

Hey Pila.. could ya suggest a place where I could that multi unit dude.. in the sense, the rechargeable jump start with all the stuff.. coming in really handy in case o no power scenarios..

i saw one in the papers.. cant freakin remember the address though..

Zz

Hey Pila.. could ya suggest a place where I could that multi unit dude.. in the sense, the rechargeable jump start with all the stuff.. coming in really handy in case o no power scenarios..

i saw one in the papers.. cant freakin remember the address though..

Zz

I saw it in the papers as well.. some joint in Maradana had I think- Myt**ls?? not sure.

Always the Toyotas (domestic) comes with a good tool kit. In a canvas bag. Well equiped. My Civic came only with a spanner to remove the tyre

Ahh its called a wheel brace not a spanner lol. I donno I got a decent kit with mine- maybe your cars previous owner did not give you the whole kit

Hi

Good topic Pila!

Most cars these days come with a basic tool kit. But these are the basic tools I carry....

1. 13, 12, 8 Spanners (for most common nuts and bolts)

2. Shifting Spanner

3. Phillips Screw Driver

4. Flat Screw Driver

5. Set of good pliers

6. Flash Light (torch)

7. Warning reflective triangles.

8. Fire extinguisher.

9. Rechargeable "jump start". (as mentioned by Pila).

10. Accurate tyre pressure gauge (never trust the gauges found at petrol stations)

11. Tyre valve key

12. Puncture repair kit (for the off-roading types)

13. Letherman type multi tool (invaluable)

14. Tow rope (never know when u will need one).

15. First aid kit

16. Set of Wheel-stops (don't have to look for bricks/stone to secure the car from rolling when changing a flat. Especially on those up hill roads)

Cheers

Thats a good kit man... (reminds me of few things I'm missing, I'll post my list later)all ready for a safari even! Well I bet thats the kit you keep in your daily running Hilux. I dont carry much tools with me but I plan on expanding my existing set. The one thing thats very important in the space and weight of the tools that need to be carried- As you will not have that much space in a car boot compared to say a pickup. Which is why I'm interested in using as many 'multi-tools' as possible as in point 13 on your list. Anyone have any idea on good multi tools?? No more lists??

I saw it in the papers as well.. some joint in Maradana had I think- Myt**ls?? not sure.

Ahh its called a wheel brace not a spanner lol. I donno I got a decent kit with mine- maybe your cars previous owner did not give you the whole kit

does brand new vehicles come with a decent tool kit?or just basics

does brand new vehicles come with a decent tool kit?or just basics

Possible.. but anyways in most cases its the most essential basics. I've seen some nice kits in cars like the Mark II though. Yeah maybe the Toyotas got it better. Someone with one needs to speak up.

well.. this cars kinda old but ma dads 1979 nissan sunny came with a pretty good collections of nut removers.. varying sizes mind you and yeah that was pretty much the basic.. good enough to get stuff removed and installed in the engine area but it was not that helpful in the sense that these days specific tools are crafted to suit a specific nut/situation if ya knw wut i mean.. lol

Zz

Possible.. but anyways in most cases its the most essential basics. I've seen some nice kits in cars like the Mark II though. Yeah maybe the Toyotas got it better. Someone with one needs to speak up.

Madmax's BM has a pretty extensive toolkit. I keep a suitcase type kit in mine too, tho strictly speaking, that aint really for car. Dunno why I keep it, coz its not like I could actually fix anything with it :D Wouldn't know what to do most of the time. :wacko: Find someone who knows what to do and say, "Here are the tools. pls fix it" :ph34r: