• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking for a Good Vehicle recommendation for around 4M (4000000) LKR

Hi Petrolheads and Dieslheads

I am looking to buy a vehicle - i know the situation is s*** but need to buy one as it is becoming nearly impossible to make do with out one.

So i appreciate any thoughts and recommendations.

I m mainly an SUV / Pickup truck guy -  but not sure whether there is anything within that range that has at least good ground clearance and 4X4 capability. 

10 hours ago, Anjana Gunasekera said:

Hi Petrolheads and Dieslheads

I am looking to buy a vehicle - i know the situation is s*** but need to buy one as it is becoming nearly impossible to make do with out one.

So i appreciate any thoughts and recommendations.

I m mainly an SUV / Pickup truck guy -  but not sure whether there is anything within that range that has at least good ground clearance and 4X4 capability. 

Hmmm.....I feel your options would be first generation RAVs, CRVs, Escudo/Vitara and X-Trails. So you are looking at models from the late 90s to early 2000s. Since these are 20+ year old cars used in SL....searching for a good speciment is going to be a long process. Eitherway, you should plan on doing some basic restoration of the critical components. This is where you might be in a bind with these vehicles....I reckon the purchase price (with negotiated discounts) would be around your max budget so you might need to find a good amount of money for such resto from some where.

I am sure you could find Korean alternatives like a Santa Fe, however, Korean cars of this era simply has not aged well. Those that do still look good have been well cared for and usually commands top money (the latter part applies ot the Japanese models too)

I also left out the Pajero iO because most of them have been messed up due to their GDI engine. The exception would be a Shogun iO or an export variant Pajero iO which didn't have the GDI engine.

For your budget you can also find really really old proper SUVs and double cabs but those might be a bit of a maintenance hassle considering its age.

Edited by iRage

Agree on what iRage says, another option would be one of the Indian Double Cabs or Jeeps. They have gone through hard lives in the jungles and not much complains from the Safari drivers and all, but they will not have the creature comforts that you can expect out of the Japanese or Korean vehicles.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, iRage said:

Hmmm.....I feel your options would be first generation RAVs, CRVs, Escudo/Vitara and X-Trails. So you are looking at models from the late 90s to early 2000s. Since these are 20+ year old cars used in SL....searching for a good speciment is going to be a long process. Eitherway, you should plan on doing some basic restoration of the critical components. This is where you might be in a bind with these vehicles....I reckon the purchase price (with negotiated discounts) would be around your max budget so you might need to find a good amount of money for such resto from some where.

I am sure you could find Korean alternatives like a Santa Fe, however, Korean cars of this era simply has not aged well. Those that do still look good have been well cared for and usually commands top money (the latter part applies ot the Japanese models too)

I also left out the Pajero iO because most of them have been messed up due to their GDI engine. The exception would be a Shogun iO or an export variant Pajero iO which didn't have the GDI engine.

For your budget you can also find really really old proper SUVs and double cabs but those might be a bit of a maintenance hassle considering its age.

Hi iRage

will CRV 1999 be a good option ?
it has decent comforts and also 4X4 up to a certain extent.

I saw them going at around 4.5 last week. 

I also considered a Toyota Hilux L106 which can go literally anywhere -  but does not have the comforts :3 

14 hours ago, Anjana Gunasekera said:

CRV 1999 be a good option

Yeah..that would be the 1st gen RD series CR-V...decent car and comes with the B20B engine. However there are things with the rear diff that you need to look in to (do a search on the forums as I have written a lot about it). The issue was if the diff oi was not replaced (earlier than the manufacturers recommendaion) with actual Honda Hypoid oi the diff would just simply burn off. A lot have busted differentials in the back...or have it removed. Do not go for one that has a busted diff or has a diff removed(since the car came in a 2WD variant seller try to hide it by saying it is an original 2WD, so better check the model number).

I am pretty certain the first generation, the A10 series, RAV4 is also around the same price. The engine and drive train was a lot more simpler than in the CRV and thus a bit more trouble free. The CRV had a funky gear holding mechanism for improved performance on uphills which simply felt wierd. With the RAV4 you need to check for oil leaks and wierd valve noises. The engine is mounted at a 45 degree angle which makes one valve bank (the side on the front side of the engine bay) higher than the other. If the oil level drops, then the valves and valve cover gasket on the higher side of the engine gets dried up and gets mesed up.   

Not sure of the prices but older SUV's like the 2nd Gen Pajero's and Bighorn troopers might just cut it - given that they are simple, basic machines - of course you need to do a few repairs. A relative bought a 2nd gen Pajero and other than a minor issue with the gearbox it has been running well to date. He got it pre-covid - cost him around 3M - guess those must be going for ~5M now - but prices specially of larger vehicles are coming down. 

Given the difficulties of getting to places it's a safe bet to go for a vehicle that the closest mechanic can fix. Hence the suggestion. But when buying old trucks/suv's beware of the papers as many dodgy units are out there and most of them are really hacked. 

For something newer - then the options are basically as the others mentioned - CRV's RAV4's etc. 

In today's economic climate my advice would be to go for the cheapest/most disposable option that fulfils your requirements. 

54 minutes ago, matroska said:

guess those must be going for ~5M now

A person I know got a 1st gen Pajero and it was a bit under 5.7mil. During th search he did find ones at the 4.5mil mark but those were either totaly hacked or had questionable paperwork. He originally wanted a second gen but those were nearly 7-8 mil at the time so had to settle for a 1st gen.

50 minutes ago, iRage said:

A person I know got a 1st gen Pajero and it was a bit under 5.7mil. During th search he did find ones at the 4.5mil mark but those were either totaly hacked or had questionable paperwork. He originally wanted a second gen but those were nearly 7-8 mil at the time so had to settle for a 1st gen.

Ok then clearly out of OP's range. I guess prices have steeply risen after the import restriction.