• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Head-light globe upgrade for Vitz 2008

spongebob airwolf

Hey Brain trust,

I've got a Viz 2008 1 L and I am looking at replacing the halogen lights (globes) in the head lights. The lights are quite dim and the illumination is sub par in my opinion. I have been considering two options.

1. Replace with newer brighter Halogen bulbs

2. Replace with LED lights

I've found a few options for both of the above. I am wondering if anyone has carried out the converting to newer Halogens or LED globes?

I have read that even though LEDs are brighter compared to halogens, the stock reflector in the headlight unit may not be optimal for the light to be distributed correctly and focused towards the road. Is there any truth to this?

Appreciate any productive insight and/or guidance.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, spongebob airwolf said:

Hey Brain trust,

I've got a Viz 2008 1 L and I am looking at replacing the halogen lights (globes) in the head lights. The lights are quite dim and the illumination is sub par in my opinion. I have been considering two options.

I've found a few options for both of the above. I am wondering if anyone has carried out the converting to newer Halogens or LED globes?

I have read that even though LEDs are brighter compared to halogens, the stock reflector in the headlight unit may not be optimal for the light to be distributed correctly and focused towards the road. Is there any truth to this?

Cheers.

1st thing I would do is check the connectors and then clean the headlamps.

Changing to a higher powered halogen might not be the best answer. Your headlights are made from plastic and the higher temperature can damage them.

LED is a good option but best to get a good brand with a warranty if possible. The cheap Chinese products in the market will probably stop working after a few days (I had one such product that had a problem where it was stuck on high).

Another option for you to check is to find something like Osram night breakers or Phillips extreme vision bulbs. They are 55/60W bulbs but give better illumination.

The other would be to modify your headlamp with the projector type if you have clear lenses.

13 hours ago, Gummybr said:

1st thing I would do is check the connectors and then clean the headlamps.

Changing to a higher powered halogen might not be the best answer. Your headlights are made from plastic and the higher temperature can damage them.

LED is a good option but best to get a good brand with a warranty if possible. The cheap Chinese products in the market will probably stop working after a few days (I had one such product that had a problem where it was stuck on high).

Another option for you to check is to find something like Osram night breakers or Phillips extreme vision bulbs. They are 55/60W bulbs but give better illumination.

The other would be to modify your headlamp with the projector type if you have clear lenses.

Thanks for the reply.

I've scoured a few products which suit the car. I agree, cheap Chinese products are not the answer. I've been looking at a few products from Australia.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/narva-narva-gen-iii-led-headlight-kit-h4-12-24v/635047.html

https://www.stedi.com.au/copper-head-h4-led-head-light-conversion-kit.html

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/narva-narva-plus-200-headlight-globe-h4-12v-60-55w/635076.html

I am banking towards the LED option in the long run. All the products listed above are confirmed to be compatible with the vehicle.

Below are all the results compatible with the car.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search?q=head light&lang=en_AU&vid=QyuNkO6HWpV7Y5S6eOCIOw%3D%3D

I totally did not take into account the higher temp emitted from the higher powered halogens. 

Do any of the products catch your eye? Any recommendations from your experience?

Cheers

• 7 months later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:13 PM, spongebob airwolf said:

Hey Brain trust,

Cheers.

When it comes to replacing the halogen bulbs in your Viz 2008 1 L headlights, both options you mentioned—replacing with newer, brighter halogen bulbs or switching to LED lights—are viable choices. However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind.

Upgrading to newer, brighter halogen bulbs: This can be a relatively straightforward and cost-effective option. Newer halogen bulbs often provide better illumination compared to older ones. Make sure to check the specifications and choose bulbs that are compatible with your vehicle's electrical system and headlight housing.

Switching to LED lights: LED lights have become popular due to their energy efficiency and increased brightness. They generally offer better illumination than halogen bulbs. However, there are a few factors to consider:

a. Compatibility: Verify that the LED bulbs you choose are compatible with your vehicle's electrical system. Some vehicles may require additional adapters or modifications to ensure proper functioning.

b. Beam pattern: LED bulbs emit light differently than halogen bulbs. The stock reflector in your headlight housing may not be optimized for LED light distribution. This can result in scattered or misdirected light, reducing the effectiveness of the illumination. Some LED bulbs are designed to replicate the beam pattern of halogen bulbs, improving the distribution of light on the road. Look for bulbs specifically advertised as "street legal" or "designed for halogen replacement" to ensure they provide appropriate light distribution.

Edited by wapoyoc