• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2017 Fuse Explanation

triatomore

Hi everyone!

New here, so pardon me if something violates the forum rules.

I've got a used Toyota Vitz 2017 (DBA-KSP130) recently, and I have some questions about the fuses and relays, especially what the abbreviations stand for. I can make an educated guess about the majority, but I would appreciate it if someone with a more concrete understanding could explain what they are used for.

Fuse Box Under Dash

• "S-HTR/WELCAB" (10A): Has fuse, but my model doesn't have either a Seat Heater or Wheel Chair Accessibility.
  • "4WD" (7.5A): Has fuse, but my model doesn't have 4 Wheel Drive.
  • "SHADE" (25A): ?
  • "BAT-S" (5A): ?
  • "LIFT UP" (30A): ?
  • "FOG FR" (7.5A): Fog Lights Front, right?
  • "AM1" (7.5A): ?
  • "STOP" (7.5A): ?
  • "FOG RR" (7.5A): Fog Lights Rear, right?
  • "TAIL" (20A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "OBD" (7.5A): On-board Diagnostics, right?
  • "D/L" (25A): ?
  • "ACC" (5A): Accessory power, right?
  • "CIG" (15A): Auxillary Power Output, right?
  • "DOOR" (20A): ?
  • "DOOR R/L" (20A): ?
  • "P/W" (30A): ?
  • "WIPER R/R" (15A): Rear wiper, right?
  • "WIPER" (20A): Wiper, right?
  • "WASHER" (15A) Washer, right?
  • "GUAGE" (10A): ?
  • "A/C" (7.5A): Air Conditioning, right? Does AC only take 7.5A (Wow)?
  • "ECU-IG NO. 2" (5A): ?
  • "ECU-IG NO. 1" (5A): ?
  • "DOOR P" (20A): ?
  • "DOOR R/R" (20A): ?
  • "PANEL" (5A): ?
  • "TAIL NO. 2" (10A): ?

Engine Compartment Right Hand (Car's perspective) Side Fuse Box

• "MD VVT" (20A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "EU-DRL" (15A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "S-HORN" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "H-LP MAIN" (7.5A): ?
  • "ST" (40A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "ST/MGC" (Relay): ?
  • "H-LP RH HI" (10A): Head Lamp Right Hand High Beam, right?
  • "H-LP LH HI" (10A): Head Lamp Left Hand High Beam, right?
  • "H-LP RH LO" (10A): Head Lamp Right Hand Low Beam, right?
  • "H-LP LH LO" (10A): Head Lamp Left Hand Low Beam, right?
  • "DIM" (Relay): ?
  • "VVT" (Relay): Relay missing, fallen or by design?
  • "H-LP / US-DRL" (Relay): ?

Engine Compartment Left Hand (Car's perspective) Side Fuse Box

• "ID/UP" (7.5A): ?
  • "FAN NO. 2" (Relay): ?
  • "EFI MAIN" (20A): ?
  • "EFI NO. 3" (7.5A): ?
  • "HORN" (10A): Horn, right?
  • "EFI NO. 2" (10A): ?
  • "IG2" (10A): ?
  • "IGN" (15A): ?
  • "MET" (7.5A): ?
  • "FAN NO. 1" (Relay): ?
  • "NOISE FILTER" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "EPS" (50A): ?
  • "ABS NO. 2" (30A): ?
  • "DEF" (30A): ?
  • "PTC" (80A): ?
  • "DEF" (Relay): ?
  • "HTR" (40A): ?
  • "H-LP CLN" (30A): ?
  • "RDI FAN" (30A): ?
  • "ABS NO. 1" (50A): ?
  • "BBC" (40A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "ST/ST2" (30a): ?
  • "H-LP LH" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "H-LP RH" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "D.C.C" (30A): ?
  • "STR LOCK" (20A): ?
  • "ST/ST2" (Relay): ?
  • "ECU-B NO. 1" (5A): ?
  • "DOME" (15A): ?
  • "MIR-HTR" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "ETCS" (10A): Fuse missing, fallen or by design?
  • "HAZ" (10A): ?
  • "AM2" (7.5A): ?
  • "ECU-B NO. 2" (5A): ?
  • "MIRROR" (10A): ?
  • "R/I" (50A):

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Perhaps this would be a good starting point ?

https://www.toyaris.com/checking_and_replacing_fuses-388.html

Thank you! I found similar explanations on some other sites too. But I am not so sure about the accuracy, as — for an example — several fuses are labeled for "Multiport Fuel Injection System"; even "S-HORN" has it. I can't imagine a fuse labeled "S-HORN" being related to anything to do with fuel. Another instance was "S-HTR", not sure what this does, as I don't think my model has Seat Heating feature.

Edited by triatomore

6 minutes ago, triatomore said:

Thank you! I found similar explanations on some other sites too. But I am not so sure about the accuracy, as — for an example — several fuses are labeled for "Multiport Fuel Injection System"; even "S-HORN" has it. I can't imagine a fuse labeled "S-HORN" being related to anything to do with fuel. Another instance was "S-HTR", not sure what this does, as I don't think my model has Seat Heating feature.

It is common for manufacturers to use the same fuse for multiple systems and a system to have multiple fuses and relays. When diagnosing an issue the idea is not to go by the label on the fuse cover but to go by what the workshop/service manual says the fuses are. The label is just an identifier...not an identification of something specific. So although your car does not have seat heaters, it might need the fuse for something else.

9 minutes ago, iRage said:

It is common for manufacturers to use the same fuse for multiple systems and a system to have multiple fuses and relays. When diagnosing an issue the idea is not to go by the label on the fuse cover but to go by what the workshop/service manual says the fuses are. The label is just an identifier...not an identification of something specific. So although your car does not have seat heaters, it might need the fuse for something else.

Agreed with everything you say. My quest here does not pertain to any specific issue solving; I am trying to find what each one does for my own knowledge. It's sad that booklets of yore used to contain exploded diagram of the engine itself, but alas, now it is difficult even through the Internet.

I was hoping someone with a deep understanding of the same vehicle model could shine some light upon the individual components.

7 minutes ago, triatomore said:

I am trying to find what each one does for my own knowledge

Sadly not possible with modern cars. In old cars it was possible as each of the fuses had a one-to-one relationship between the fuse and the electrical component. Not so in modern cars.

19 minutes ago, triatomore said:

I was hoping someone with a deep understanding of the same vehicle model could shine some light upon the individual components

Your best bet is to find a workshop/service manual (Electricals) for the car. In some older models the maintenance book had fuse information for basic components which owners themselves could possibly fix. But that I beleive is not common anymore.

1 minute ago, iRage said:

Sadly not possible with modern cars. In old cars it was possible as each of the fuses had a one-to-one relationship between the fuse and the electrical component. Not so in modern cars.

Yeah, that seems to be the case.

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

Your best bet is to find a workshop/service manual (Electricals) for the car. In some older models the maintenance book had fuse information for basic components which owners themselves could possibly fix. But that I beleive is not common anymore.

I am searching for the service manual since a few days with no success yet. The only place I found is, Toyota Manuals Australia site, that has Service and Repair Manual for Yaris 130 series[1], but it asks for a minimum 21 AUD subscription (For one day plan.). I would probably labor at this for a couple of days more, and then either give it up, or say goodbye to a nearly 5000 LKR.

[1] https://toyotamanuals.com.au/#/?q=eyJidWlsZE1vbnRoIjpudWxsLCJidWlsZFllYXIiOm51bGwsImRvY3VtZW50VHlwZSI6InNlcnZpY2UtcmVwYWlyLW1hbnVhbCIsImtleXdvcmQiOiJ5YXJpcyAxMzAiLCJtb2RlbE5hbWUiOm51bGwsInNlYXJjaGVkIjp0cnVlLCJzaG93QWR2YW5jZWQiOmZhbHNlLCJsYXRlc3QiOm51bGwsInBhZ2luYXRpb24iOnsicGFnZSI6MSwicGVyUGFnZSI6MTJ9fQ==

• Like 1