• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Picanto 2005, after 20-30km less power, knocking and misfire (after cleaning the fuel pump reset everything)

Iroshw

Question

Hi,

I have a doubt whether the problem is with the entire fuel pump or with the fuel filter or the fuel pressure regulator.

It is 2005 Picanto (Kia) with 160k millage. 

Not changed the fuel filter for nearly 4 years (80,000km). The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank which is under the rear seat. 

Recently occurred this problem, after driving 20-30km the car starts losing power, knocking and misfiring, hard to pick up. Due to the fuel quality, I cleaned the fuel pump by myself. Noticed a lot of dirt in the filter and the regulator looks new (but I have not changed it during the last 4 years). After cleaning the car drove smoothly and fast but only for 20-30km, and started losing power, knocking and misfiring. I had to clean the entire fuel pump many times. And I notice the dirt (black color) coming out from the filter all the time. Used Liqui Moly Fuel System cleaner too but didn't work. 

Note: Though the car gets slow acceleration after 20-30km with hard pickup, knocking and misfiring, idle is stable and no issues when starting the car. But when I put A/C on, the idle drop and leads to off the engine. Even with the stable idle not picking up in the 1st gear (this is manual) and hard. 

Spare parts are expensive like hell, so one of my friends said the issue should be the Fuel regulator, but it is not available in Sri Lanka (checked almost everywhere in SL). Another friend said the issue is with the fuel filter as it has not been replaced for years, it's clogged and blocking the fuel system. A fuel filter is available for 6500LKR. Another said to replace the entire fuel pump (cost is 35k).

If anyone has a similar experience, please let me know what you did to fix this matter.

Edited by Iroshw

2 answers to this question