• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Polish?

Duncan

Hey everyone

Thought we could exchange some ideas as to how we polish, glaze and protect our beloved steeds' paint work as well as interior.

I generally go with a local brand polish that has worked well for me over the years. Glazing I try to do once in six months or so depending on time of year (winter/summer/rain).

For the interior I have tried various dash board polishes, but just hate the oily film they leave behind. So I simply wipe only with a wet cloth. As for the seats, I get a complete clean done depending on useage of the vehicle. Here in Botswana dust is all over the place. So more regular cleans are essential.

What do others do? It would be nice to know what you guys do and learn some tips.

cheers

Jury's still out on this one i'll say- in fact...you'll probably get very different responses from all corners of the forum.

So far, the best 'set' i've used is 3M, but i've heard some great things about Autoglym, which i'm going to give a go next month. I use the word 'set' meaning- the staggered approach- rubbing compound, scratch remover, swirl remover, polish, wax.

BTW, congrats on the new acquisition- i have a '72 Super...my first car. One of my nieghbors has a 52 split- one of the first shipped to SL, and still with the family.

No two words- 3m wax in the best after an 'Armor All' soap wash. I also like to sprinkle some water on the car over the fresh polish to remove any polish powdery marks. After that lock in the shine with Eagle One Nano spray way or 3M spray polish. Sun of a Gun as always for the dash.

Hi,

I used to use Turtle wax, and only occassionally used rubbing compound or anything like that on the paintwork simply because it takes a bit of the painwork off everytime i use it (thus only use it when i have managed to scratch the car, or sometimes, when bird droppings have set !!!)

My routine was always to pressure wash the outside, vaccume the inside every week end, do a bit of dashboard cleaning using that sort of material that leavs a sticky layer (personally dont like it myself but i have found using a damn cloth thends to leave a watery dusty layer still on the dashboard).

And wax and polish every 2 months or so.

I have also found if you have stubborn stains on the body or the rims a bit of kerosene oil on a piece of cloth usually gets rid of them, and sometimes even the dark layer left on the paintwork by acidic rain in colombo. Some people mix it into water but as you would already know kerosene will float on top of the water. Only probi with this obviously is the stench of the kerosene which goes away easily enough as it evaporates.

In my opinion to keep the paintwork in good order you should,

1. Try to keep the car away from rain as much as you can especially in big cities because of the acidicity of rain caused by excessive Co2.

2. Clean bird droppings as soon as they appear.

3. Try to clean stains as much as possible, not using compound or any other abrasive material as it invariably thins the layers of paint.

4. Always use soft sponges or cloths when washing the car etc so as not to leave scratch marks.

5. Pressure wash the wheel bays regularly to clean away mud and dirt that might retain water and cause rusting.

I have used a few products for polishing and waxing and to be honest they have all worked pretty well, Abro, Autoglym, Turtle Wax etc. though i dont have a machine so whatever i use its a lot of hard work <_<

I also use a chemical degreaser from time to time to clean oil spills, etc away in the engine bay flushing very carefully with water afterwards.

also could somebody reccomend me a place or service which I can use to glaze my engine up a bit ?. its looking a bit tired and dirty with a lot of alluminium oxide setting in and I would kind of like to take it looking back to its former glory, but i also want in done by a person who will not hurt the electronics !. any ideas guys.

The Don

Call Siji on 0777300208. He's place does a fine job!

Hi Plawoos

Any idea how Clean Park is ? As I'm planning to take it there for a total interior and exterior clean up. The cost is around Rs 5000/- which is not too bad I suppose. Any Ideas of other recommended places - a place where I won't get my sensors blown out ?

Thx

thanks pila,

do you know where he is based ? as in which area ?

Hill Street- Dehiwela. Just tell him your one of my friend's Abeetha.

Hi Plawoos

Any idea how Clean Park is ? As I'm planning to take it there for a total interior and exterior clean up. The cost is around Rs 5000/- which is not too bad I suppose. Any Ideas of other recommended places - a place where I won't get my sensors blown out ?

Thx

Sorry machan dont know much about Cleanpark- What I understand is that its a bit over crowded and over priced. If you need a really intensive interior treatment the 3m place in Rajagiriya does a good job. What sensors do you mean? or what 'more' are you looking for from the job?

pila is this guy good all round? i usually go to kleenpark too but i haven't been anywhere else to judge prices...

Machan the whole TIC camp will vouch for him :D And he's a personal acquaintance. But for more adavanced jobs like treating interior trims and under body work you may have to look elsewhere.

Hi Pila it seems you know my name Pila, but I don't know yours (though Sri Lanka being Sri Lanka i might know you in real life) :)

Yep maybe maybe. You may remember me from College days :ban1:

Machan the whole TIC camp will vouch for him :D And he's a personal acquaintance. But for more adavanced jobs like treating interior trims and under body work you may have to look elsewhere.

Yep maybe maybe. You may remember me from College days :ban1:

For real man ? any hints ? Seriously I don't think I ever mentioned my name in this forum :) but anybody who went to school with me might know by my ID of course ;)

hi machan i’m a bit late on this but there is a product called MOTHERS…. i think that’s the best for car polishing and waxing…. not sure if you can get that in s/a

Hill Street- Dehiwela. Just tell him your one of my friend's Abeetha.

Sorry machan dont know much about Cleanpark- What I understand is that its a bit over crowded and over priced. If you need a really intensive interior treatment the 3m place in Rajagiriya does a good job. What sensors do you mean? or what 'more' are you looking for from the job?

Thanks Pila.

Ahh the 3M place near HSBC- there used to be a play ground earlier.

Well I was told that there are several sensors and I should avoid getting it washed at ordinary places as water would damage them. What I’m looking is a proper ( Intensive) clean out of the interior and a exterior job which will protect the paint as there is hardly any kind of polish applied for a long time by the looks of it. Shall be checking them out

thats good news

did you get the engine glazed too ?

also did you sell your cefiro and get yourself a Sunny ?

The Don

nope didnt get the engine glazed... i forgot to be honest...

i've had both cars - the sunny and the cefiro... dad used to use the sunny but can't drive anymore so i run both...

• 3 weeks later...

Call Siji on 0777300208. He's place does a fine job!

Hay Pila,

Thanks a lot – I went to the joint on Sat and did a total work on the car, cut & polish as well as an interior clean. Great Job. Hat’s off to Sigi & his team.

Price was quite reasonable too.

Chammu

well for me I have tried all most all wax/polish products available in the Sri Lankan market.. but what works best for me is 99 for exterior.. it's the best cause it's easy and fast.. you just gota apply it and just simply wipe it off.. results are great as it leaves you with a sort of a wet look which is just what I need.... I use dash for the wheels and interior..

for washing I use any sort of good car shampoo with a dash of carosine which will take of the tar stains... I get my car washed at 3M palawatte... they do a great job