• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pulsar Vzr N1

madmax

The guys on these forums don't really know the car. U need to check out SR20forums.com to find some real experts.

The so-called "intensive racing treatment" is applied only to the engine. The N1 is a stock pulsar VZ-R with the ONLY difference being the N1 spec engine. Drop the N1 engine into any VZ-R and voila, VZ-R N1. However, Civic type Rs are supposed to be totally reworked from the standard civic- civic SiRs. Different chassis, body, engine, etc.

N1 engine is all that it matters to beat the CTR on straight line, N1 engine is the one to have got all that intensive treatment. (anyway i am not fully aware as to whether itz only the enigine thatz diff)

the flip side of n1 being fitted to the normal n2 vzr may be reflected on the fact that CTR is faster on curves than the more powerful n1(as some say), anyway some even claim that n1 may still be faster than CTR even on curves.

globalcar has it as

2001 Honda Civic Type R

Displacement: 1998 cc

Max. output: 199.7 PS (197.0 bhp) (146.9 kW)@7600 rpm

0-100km/h: 6.8 s

Quarter mile: 15.20s @ 96.00 mph

Power to weight: 155.12 bhp/ton

1998 Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1

Displacement: 1596 cc

Max. output: 199.7 PS (197.0 bhp) (146.9 kW)@7800 rpm

0-100km/h: 6.8 s

Quarter mile: 14.89s

Power to weight: 180.73 bhp/ton

Yes bro, what you need remember is if you are running premium fuel in the CTR you get 215 PS (thats quoted in the japanese domestioc market using 100 RON fuel). Which shifts the 0-60 times to 6.6 seconds, and i'm not too sure how much on the 1/4 mile. The 199.7 PS is quotoed for the european market using 95 RON fuel.

And if the VZR N1 was made for JDM, then the quoted figure of 199.7 PS is using 100 RON petrol.

unregistered were goin for that price at the time i think but now the registered ones r arnd that price...i was looking for one (97/98 model old face) too at one point machan :action-smiley-035: but till i sell my current car i cant think of buying another one

interested in a cefiro?its got 10bhp less :git:

hehe machan u got some marketting skill :):P:P

though i looked for a GT back in 2004, not anymore... im not in SL, machan came to the UK for studies...

hehe machan u got some marketting skill :action-smiley-035::git::)

though i looked for a GT back in 2004, not anymore... im not in SL, machan came to the UK for studies...

ah gud stuff...dont make the mistake i made by bustin ur cash there...earn as much as u can n wen u come down buy a decent car...or bike

Yes bro, what you need remember is if you are running premium fuel in the CTR you get 215 PS (thats quoted in the japanese domestioc market using 100 RON fuel). Which shifts the 0-60 times to 6.6 seconds, and i'm not too sure how much on the 1/4 mile. The 199.7 PS is quotoed for the european market using 95 RON fuel.

And if the VZR N1 was made for JDM, then the quoted figure of 199.7 PS is using 100 RON petrol.

Thats not too certain. Pulsar name was more towards export markets. The N15 had this on wiki

N15 series

In 1995, the N15 Pulsar was launched and sold in Europe as the Nissan Almera. New Zealand Sentras changed names (to Pulsar) during this generation as local assembly of the range ceased in favour of imports from Japan. Again, three-, four- and five-door models were offered. The station wagon continued to be from the Sunny range, later spun off in Japan into the Nissan Wingroad.

The N15 Pulsar had 1.4 L, 1.6 L and 2.0 L petrol and 2.0 L diesel engines in the European-market versions. Japanese models had 1.5 and 1.8 versions.

so seeing as to how this is a 1600cc engine, its likely to be a European market version.

machan praveen why dont u drag against a CTR or a ITR and see would like to see that happen coz i've never seen the vzr drag :git::):P

Coz I aint a racer. Yet. Anyway, the only CTR I know is Nigel's and I refuse to run him. He can take down a WRX in that. And thats as much driver as mods. :action-smiley-035:

Thats not too certain. Pulsar name was more towards export markets. The N15 had this on wiki

so seeing as to how this is a 1600cc engine, its likely to be a European market version.

Coz I aint a racer. Yet. Anyway, the only CTR I know is Nigel's and I refuse to run him. He can take down a WRX in that. And thats as much driver as mods. :)

Nigel will run you without NOS, just to fun. At least run Isurujosh's Honda, again just to fun.

Disclaimer: I don't really like drag racing.

Nigel will run you without NOS, just to fun. At least run Isurujosh's Honda, again just to fun.

Disclaimer: I don't really like drag racing.

Nigel will beat me without NOS too. He's just too good a driver, man. And he knows that car really well.

The Civic DOHC's are way faster here. Just the civics stay in the power band very well. And the N1 needs the proper gearbox to keep it in the power band.

it's not the gearbox

it's the correct driver you need to do a proper shift in the VZR to be in the power band.

Hey guys I think the VZR is a great car and it’s a shame they made very limited numbers of it…… I also would like to say that the standard ECU needs work as the VTEC or High lift cam shift over point comes on at 7000RPM and then cuts off at 8000RPM. This is way too late as when you shift gears it takes ages to pull back to the power band. I also witnessed the VZR-N1 getting beaten by Razmi’s yellow hatch twice when they both dragged last year and a month ago two 1.5 SOHC VTEC’s had no issue in taking down the White VZR sedan that dragged in Ekala.

I’m not trying to start a Honda/Nissan argument over here but im just saying Nissan should have done a better job with the ECU cos thats all it needs.

Hey guys I think the VZR is a great car and it’s a shame they made very limited numbers of it…… I also would like to say that the standard ECU needs work as the VTEC or High lift cam shift over point comes on at 7000RPM and then cuts off at 8000RPM. This is way too late as when you shift gears it takes ages to pull back to the power band. I also witnessed the VZR-N1 getting beaten by Razmi’s yellow hatch twice when they both dragged last year and a month ago two 1.5 SOHC VTEC’s had no issue in taking down the White VZR sedan that dragged in Ekala.

I’m not trying to start a Honda/Nissan argument over here but im just saying Nissan should have done a better job with the ECU cos thats all it needs.

yes you are absolutely correct buddy.

this is the main problm in the VZR, but if it's a good driver still can be in the power band, will not be easy

yes you are absolutely correct buddy.

this is the main problm in the VZR, but if it's a good driver still can be in the power band, will not be easy

In a drag no matter how good the Driver is with Vtec kicking in at 7000 odd.. theres no way the car will stick in power zone...

In a drag no matter how good the Driver is with Vtec kicking in at 7000 odd.. theres no way the car will stick in power zone...

VZ-Rs have two changes man. 1 change @ 5.5k and 1 change @ 7k. According to max, N1 changes at 6.8k. need to check on that.

And Pila, its VVL. It even has one less letter, so its easier to type.

I too witnesses the yellow hatch bringing down the N1 and chang drove the N1 at that time, BTW isn't that yellow hatch turbo charged a.k.a comparision is unfair... on the other hand the N1 is suppose to be having the better torque curve than the CTR, so for the daily runners N1 is definitely fun to drive than the CTR. Honda's def stand out in high end power band coming early but they definitely lack low end torque while doing so, thus boring to drive in low rpm.

Found this on the RPM issue

Let me lay down the theory quickly, the first stage engages the intake cam. So from 4000RPM more air is introduced into the system. As the RPM's raise the air finds it more dificult to fit into the cylinders because it has to overcome the backed up exhaust. Then suddenly at 7000RPM the exhaust cam engages and the exhaust is removed creating space for more air.

According to these guys, its not really geared for dragging. :( Thus proving vshiz.

Man, the only way to solve this issue is to race it against a stock CTR. I think CTR will be ahead at first, but the N1 will catch up when it hits the high revs. It'll be very close.

it's not the gearbox

it's the correct driver you need to do a proper shift in the VZR to be in the power band.

The white VZR which came to ekala was with a modded ECU where both cams open up at 5500RPM. And that car stay's in the power band but on each gear shift the gear ratio's drop alot thus making it difficult to rev up. This show's clearly that the gear ratio's are not suited for a drag. The race with Razmi's hatch was very close all i felt was it was pushing me back out of the power band. And the White VZR was driven by nigel and rumesh they are very good draggers.

Man i have driven both cars and trust me the N1 will need a proper gearbox first even to give the CTR a close fight. The car has power but it's delivered the wrong way. Plus the previous owner Yohan did drag it with the CTR when the CTR was running stock and still the honda won. But the pulsar is a nice a car to drive around. The CTR with the proper mods can be torquey too. Unless u like to go ITR :( 1800CC baby

Found this on the RPM issue

According to these guys, its not really geared for dragging. B) Thus proving vshiz.

VVT @ 4000 rpm(intake)

VVL @ 7000 rpm(exhaust)

jst like the toyota counterpart Corolla T-Sport http://www.autozine.org/html/Toyota/Corolla.html

with valve lift coming as late as that, both toyota and nissan have adopted the following startegies in their daily runners to keep up with Honda.

Toyota: They have VVT + DOHC to counter SOHC VTEC but still not good enough to outpower VTEC

Nissan: Nissan goes for the higher displacement(forgoing fuel efficiency) and have some what succeeded in terms performance against VTEC. they(NISSAN) do not usually offer VVL in daily runners cause the increased power is hardly of any use to the daily runner, but the higher displaced engines always give plenty of torque in the low rpm's which is why ppl buy Nissan.

Conclusion: VTEC has an edge over itz VVL VVT counterparts for finding the best balance between power/torque/fuel efficiency

[no offence to anyone jst a personal opinion]

VVT @ 4000 rpm(intake)

VVL @ 7000 rpm(exhaust)

jst like the toyota counterpart Corolla T-Sport http://www.autozine.org/html/Toyota/Corolla.html

with valve lift coming as late as that, both toyota and nissan have adopted the following startegies in their daily runners to keep up with Honda.

Toyota: They have VVT + DOHC to counter SOHC VTEC but still not good enough to outpower VTEC

Nissan: Nissan goes for the higher displacement(forgoing fuel efficiency) and have some what succeeded in terms performance against VTEC. they(NISSAN) do not usually offer VVL in daily runners cause the increased power is hardly of any use to the daily runner, but the higher displaced engines always give plenty of torque in the low rpm's which is why ppl buy Nissan.

Conclusion: VTEC has an edge over itz VVL VVT counterparts for finding the best balance between power/torque/fuel efficiency

[no offence to anyone jst a personal opinion]

Nissans NEO VVL comes only in the 1.6 and 2.0 engines, unless I'm mistaken. What higher displacement engines? The VQ35 uses a differently named system, not idea how that works.

The white VZR which came to ekala was with a modded ECU where both cams open up at 5500RPM. And that car stay's in the power band but on each gear shift the gear ratio's drop alot thus making it difficult to rev up. This show's clearly that the gear ratio's are not suited for a drag. The race with Razmi's hatch was very close all i felt was it was pushing me back out of the power band. And the White VZR was driven by nigel and rumesh they are very good draggers.

Man i have driven both cars and trust me the N1 will need a proper gearbox first even to give the CTR a close fight. The car has power but it's delivered the wrong way. Plus the previous owner Yohan did drag it with the CTR when the CTR was running stock and still the honda won. But the pulsar is a nice a car to drive around. The CTR with the proper mods can be torquey too. Unless u like to go ITR B) 1800CC baby

I hardly know what it likes to do a shift while in high RPM(so plz don't misunderstand my claim), but of the reading that i have done in the net I have come to learn that the N1 is definitely faster than the stock 1.6L CTR. but i guess the driving in N1 has got to be near perfect to beat the CTR... CTR has only 180 odd horses to deliver whereas N1 nears 200 horses, we can assume that b4 VVL kicks in the n1 may still spit nearly as many horses as the CTR does

Nissans NEO VVL comes only in the 1.6 and 2.0 engines, unless I'm mistaken. What higher displacement engines? The VQ35 uses a differently named system, not idea how that works.

Go to the US market Nissan Sentra, Altima, Maxima all has higher displaced twin cam engines to counter SOHC VTEC.

higher displaced is good for the daily runners(considering smooth torque curves) who has excess cash to spend on extra fuel.

I hardly know what it likes to do a shift while in high RPM(so plz don't misunderstand my claim), but of the reading that i have done in the net I have come to learn that the N1 is definitely faster than the stock 1.6L CTR. but i guess the driving in N1 has got to be near perfect to beat the CTR... CTR has only 180 odd horses to deliver whereas N1 nears 200 horses, we can assume that b4 VVL kicks in the n1 may still spit nearly as many horses as the CTR does

Yes the N1 is faster than the stock CTR. But it should have the proper N1 gearbox to match it. The power is there like i've always said but the gear ratios's in the VZR don't match.

i didnt claim that Nissan has to go for higher disp. + VVL to counter VTEC, I said Nissan does not offer VVL in daily runners instead they focus on higher displacement because the VVL is not as practical as VTEC for daily runners./jst a clarification to avoid misunderstanding...

Yes the N1 is faster than the stock CTR. But it should have the proper N1 gearbox to match it. The power is there like i've always said but the gear ratios's in the VZR don't match.

point accepted... yah the Honda gear boxes does the finishing trick for Honda most of the times.

Yes chang you’re correct the gearbox in the VZR should have been better after all they shouldn’t have put such tall gears in a performance hatch. Nigel’s CTR and the other black VZR hatch (the non n1) have dragged down parliment rd about 2 years ago and basically the CTR won by about 3 cars length. So may be a N1 would given a better fight to a CTR but my money would still be on the CTR. Again there are loads of after market parts for Honda’s but very few for Nissan’s so the VZR lacks performance mods to up its game.

But anyway what ever said and done its really sad non of the manufactures produce these beast 1600cc motors any more. From Honda the B16A and B16B, Toyota had the 4AGE-20 valve, Mitsubishi had their 1.6 MIVEC(not sure of the engine code) and then Nissan with the 1.6 VVL, heck the new civic 1.8 produces only 140bhp and is still a shitty SOHC…