• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help - Peugeot 206

dinosh

I knew you would go for this. Dinosh i think the March you got for 950 is better than this car since the spares, service will be very expensive

The March was not in good condition when compared to the 206 & also the 1000cc auto March is miserable to drive.

Anyway we didnot have a easy time looking for spares for the Mazda.

Any comments for the 206?

regards,

Dinosh.

Do NOT buy it

its a nice car to drive - good accelaration

BUT Breaks down too often

Major known defect is the CLutch - it doesnt disengage properly which results in very high wear

Supra_natural can confirm this - there was a 206 (301-) bought brand new single owner 76,000 or similar mileage

Clutch replace FIVE times!!!

also suspension tends to give out

electronics are messy & cant be repaired - needs to be replaces completely when things go wrong (eg Speedo & Rev metre etc)

no second hand market & its VERY costly to maintain n C*r M*rt is said to be rubbish!

be careful if u really want this cuz it has the potential to become a HUGE Headache

nice to drive but

You should be able to get a good car quite cheap. I have heard of cars going well under a million.

Repairs may be a hassle. The 206 is supposed to have annoying glitches here and there but then some people use them for years without much problem.

The Vitz is an alternative but costs a lot more.

I've only heard good things about the car, I've only heard bad things about the agents :blink:

Uncle of mine used to have one and he was rather fond of it. He prefered it over the Merc C180 kompressor he had. I thought he was nuts :( anyway, he sold it recently and got a Yaris. Go figure.

You should be able to get a good car quite cheap. I have heard of cars going well under a million.

The Vitz is an alternative but costs a lot more.

i've heard of a couple going@ 700 & 900K but i dont thing its worth getting it unless u have a major love of Peugeots or really wanna risk short term gain in terms of low prices "well maintained" car which is Prone to heavt repair which will eventually drain ur wallet!

i'm with Milindu - go for a Vitz -or so many alternatives.. (cant think of any off the top of my head - will add l8r :blink: )

i've heard of a couple going@ 700 & 900K but i dont thing its worth getting it unless u have a major love of Peugeots or really wanna risk short term gain in terms of low prices "well maintained" car which is Prone to heavt repair which will eventually drain ur wallet!

i'm with Milindu - go for a Vitz -or so many alternatives.. (cant think of any off the top of my head - will add l8r :blink: )

Since this car has been fully maintained by the agents I better check the records of it first. I've heard many negatives on the 406 anyway will check more before buying this.

I've only heard bad things about the agents

Totally agree with this. I've experienced it with a Mazda.

Since this car has been fully maintained by the agents I better check the records of it first. I've heard many negatives on the 406 anyway will check more before buying this.

Totally agree with this. I've experienced it with a Mazda.

Thought u said 206? which one is the typo? :blink:

It depends largely on the car and your luck. We bought a brand new 206 1.9 diesel and had it for 2 years. It had a factory fault with a pulley that the notorious agents could never fix. Eventually the engine went bust and ended up rebuilding a low mileage engine.

But the ride and handling was fantastic for that size of car not to mention the economy of diesel. But the repairs put us off and we sold it.

That said my ex had a petrol 1.6 also bought brand new, and it never gave any trouble.

Also one of my close friends has owned a 406 for 2 years and the only trouble he had was with the central locking.

The above statement seems to be very true from what I hear from the forum :)

speaking as a peugeot driver who has had his share of bad experiences (look @ my 406 post for more info :D), all i can tell you is that problems with peugeots are generally limited to individual cars..... some cars can be flawless, some can be absolute nightmares..... and then the rest are in-between....

with the 206, the dash electrics are iffy, and the clutch is a weak point.... as Devinda pointed out, i know of a brand new, one owner, agent maintained 206 with around 80k... that had the clutch replaced FIVE TIMES.....

one thing you really need to do if ur buying is to forget the agents.... no point. find yourself a guy who knows his stuff, and let him handle it... and give your potential purchase a comprehensive going over before you put your cash down......

the thing with all peugeots is, they are BRILLANT cars to drive, but if that is not near the top of your priority list, and you want a ultra reliable, economical motor, then you're honestly better off looking elsewhere.....

that said however, if you have the patience to put up with the eccentricities, and buy it as a car to enjoy DRIVING, you will NOT regret it.. B)

cheers

Edited by Supra_Natural

that said however, if you have the patience to put up with the eccentricities, and buy it as a car to enjoy DRIVING, you will NOT regret it.. :)

cheers

OT: :D I'm coming to the same opinion on the Proton Gen2. But I am really starting to dislike that autobox. Its nice and smooth most of the time, but when u need to go, just sucks... I really should get a manual for a thrash and see.

OT: :) I'm coming to the same opinion on the Proton Gen2. But I am really starting to dislike that autobox. Its nice and smooth most of the time, but when u need to go, just sucks... I really should get a manual for a thrash and see.

huh? :D u have a gen2 as well?

OT: :D I'm coming to the same opinion on the Proton Gen2. But I am really starting to dislike that autobox. Its nice and smooth most of the time, but when u need to go, just sucks... I really should get a manual for a thrash and see.

peri, is the gen2 seriously fun to drive, autobox aside? i have little experience with protons, only driven 2, both old wiras, and they weren't much cop to drive....... is the gen2 honestly better thanks to it's lotus tweaked chassis?

huh? :D u have a gen2 as well?

My moms car.

Peri wats wit u n a GEN2??? company drive da? but a 1.6 on such a small car should be reasonable quick :)

may be its e load weight.. :P ...let someone else drive it n see if it sorts é accleration issue B)

jus kidding :)

Its only 110hp, the variable valve timing engine is still under dev. If its ready, the next generation should get it. And its not real small. At least as much room as a Sunny.

And no, I'm not complaining of the acceleration, I mean the time it takes for the gear to engage. Specially when u prod the pedal to overtake, it does some gear hunting, taking even longer to engage...

peri, is the gen2 seriously fun to drive, autobox aside? i have little experience with protons, only driven 2, both old wiras, and they weren't much cop to drive....... is the gen2 honestly better thanks to it's lotus tweaked chassis?

I'm guessing its the lotus input too, coz I have no experience with other protons. But it holds the road real well, mild body roll, altogether I like it. Haven't tried throwing it into corners hard yet. Steering is a little on the light side, EPS after all, but still, I had a good midnight run, which I enjoyed. Not really pushing, just the high speed cruise on a road with mildly flowing bends. I've been impressed with it ever since I saw one up at the Bamarakanda Rest House, and I saw quite a few cars struggling on that road, with the thin air and the gradient. I didn't have much trouble with a double cab :)

The above statement seems to be very true from what I hear from the forum :P

Hi Dinosh,

I have used a 206 and it gave me a trouble free 50,000 miles. When I bought it in 2002 the previous owner hasnt kept the car well.(then it had done 41000 miles). I didnt treat it well either.(I serviced it every 5000 miles not every 3000km as we do in SL also used cheap engine oil) But still when I finally sold it in Dec 2006 to come back to SL it had 90000 miles on the clock and mechanically it was in a very good condition though I cannot say the same abt its interior.

During these 50000 miles other than servicing it I had to change the break pads, cluch plate, timing belt ,shocks and break shoes only once ( also had to change the exhaust system including CAT due to strict emission controls in that country). but thats all the repairs I had for nearly five years which is very reasonable I guess.

Also it had a nippy engine , quite good on fuel consumption and. Handling was superb. So basically I loved the car though I didnt lookafter it well. So as someone said it all depends on individual cars. Though I have to say interior of the earlier cars (like mine)are not of good quality.

Hi Dinosh,

I have used a 206 and it gave me a trouble free 50,000 miles. When I bought it in 2002 the previous owner hasnt kept the car well.(then it had done 41000 miles). I didnt treat it well either.(I serviced it every 5000 miles not every 3000km as we do in SL also used cheap engine oil) But still when I finally sold it in Dec 2006 to come back to SL it had 90000 miles on the clock and mechanically it was in a very good condition though I cannot say the same abt its interior.

During these 50000 miles other than servicing it I had to change the break pads, cluch plate, timing belt ,shocks and break shoes only once ( also had to change the exhaust system including CAT due to strict emission controls in that country). but thats all the repairs I had for nearly five years which is very reasonable I guess.

Also it had a nippy engine , quite good on fuel consumption and. Handling was superb. So basically I loved the car though I didnt lookafter it well. So as someone said it all depends on individual cars. Though I have to say interior of the earlier cars (like mine)are not of good quality.

Whats your reg number?