• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Engine...

nilakicha

Any one have any ideas where to get a 2.4l or 3.0l Turbo/non Turbo Diesel engine - to pull a car thats somewhat heavy, weight almost equal to W124 Merc slightly more. Definite Manual gear box, prob 6 speed if i can get my hands on one.

this things had Gear on the steering column, if im to go for the normal floor board shift how do i go bout changing - change entire dash and steering column or just chuck in the floorboard gear box...

Any one have any ideas where to get a 2.4l or 3.0l Turbo/non Turbo Diesel engine - to pull a car thats somewhat heavy, weight almost equal to W124 Merc slightly more. Definite Manual gear box, prob 6 speed if i can get my hands on one.

this things had Gear on the steering column, if im to go for the normal floor board shift how do i go bout changing - change entire dash and steering column or just chuck in the floorboard gear box...

hmmm would you mind telling us exactly what the car is machang?

are talking older Japanese like a Cedric etc or a Ford form a pervious era?? :lol:

a few specifics on vehicle would help...

hmmm would you mind telling us exactly what the car is machang?

are talking older Japanese like a Cedric etc or a Ford form a pervious era?? ;)

a few specifics on vehicle would help...

Its a Ford falcon - its got a petrol engine in it running at the mo - V8 - which i dont wanna run on - considering the fuel eat up. N a conversion should be have a good power to weight ratio to give good power n good mileage.

Its a Ford falcon - its got a petrol engine in it running at the mo - V8 - which i dont wanna run on - considering the fuel eat up. N a conversion should be have a good power to weight ratio to give good power n good mileage.

A Ford Falcon? Cool! What production run? Got any pictures at all lying around that you'd like to share? What's the history on this car 'Nilakicha' ?

machang PLEASE dont convert it!!!

;)

i can imagine running a V8 on a car that heavy equals abt 2-5 Kmpl BUT its not woth converting it....

whats the rurrent transmission set up - 3speed auto or 4speed manual?

Year of manufacture ?

Left Hand Drive ?

a big Diesel engine will get it moving no doubt cuz of the added torque of a Diesel but dont expect any refinement... :D

without a techincian liikng t the engine bay its gonna be hard to say that would fit in it - most 3L diesel's in the market are straight 6's so for starters i'm not sure if such an engine can be accomodated... :D

then u have issues such as mating the drive shaft to the transmission & changing the colling system...

its a real mess to do...

its a shame to replace a V8.... :( so rare such cars these days :(

A Ford Falcon? Cool! What production run? Got any pictures at all lying around that you'd like to share? What's the history on this car 'Nilakicha' ?

Its a white Falcon - friends got it from aus a long time back. Hes running it on LPG, converted originally from there itself. pics of course i might have to wait for a while.

have to get this engine conversion planned before i buy it anyhow. Dont wanna even think of running for more than a week on that v8. ill get sold.

machang PLEASE dont convert it!!!

;)

i can imagine running a V8 on a car that heavy equals abt 2-5 Kmpl BUT its not woth converting it....

whats the rurrent transmission set up - 3speed auto or 4speed manual?

Year of manufacture ?

Left Hand Drive ?

a big Diesel engine will get it moving no doubt cuz of the added torque of a Diesel but dont expect any refinement... :D

without a techincian liikng t the engine bay its gonna be hard to say that would fit in it - most 3L diesel's in the market are straight 6's so for starters i'm not sure if such an engine can be accomodated... :D

then u have issues such as mating the drive shaft to the transmission & changing the colling system...

its a real mess to do...

its a shame to replace a V8.... :( so rare such cars these days :(

i agree with you wholeheartedly buddy. i wouldnt wanna get rid of the v8 either. but cant manage the eat up. still considering - this conversion as an option only - depending on the running ill be actually doing. obviously i wont run it in traffic - ill have to pump every couple of days a full tank.

thanks for the tip on the conversion bout the drive shaft n the engine bay and works. yep ill have to get hold of a mechanic who'd not freak out seeing the thing in the first place and who'd not faint hearing of the conversion. its a 3 speed auto at the mo i heard. but need to get more specs from the feller. have to do some more research on the whole thing before i go ahead.

Its a white Falcon - friends got it from aus a long time back. Hes running it on LPG, converted originally from there itself. pics of course i might have to wait for a while.

have to get this engine conversion planned before i buy it anyhow. Dont wanna even think of running for more than a week on that v8. ill get sold.

i agree with you wholeheartedly buddy. i wouldnt wanna get rid of the v8 either. but cant manage the eat up. still considering - this conversion as an option only - depending on the running ill be actually doing. obviously i wont run it in traffic - ill have to pump every couple of days a full tank.

thanks for the tip on the conversion bout the drive shaft n the engine bay and works. yep ill have to get hold of a mechanic who'd not freak out seeing the thing in the first place and who'd not faint hearing of the conversion. its a 3 speed auto at the mo i heard. but need to get more specs from the feller. have to do some more research on the whole thing before i go ahead.

Machang why are you buying this car??? converting it to diesel will only give you a HUGE amount of headache not to mention the hole in your wallet.... ;) honestly if you're buying the car, leave it as it is..... anyway a Falcon is not going to be the greatest of daily runners in colombo, Diesel or Not...... if you don't mind my asking , what year of manufacture is this car?

Hey Nilanka,

As I told you earlier....the diesel engines are quite pricey mainly since people are convering petrol vans in a big way these days. But our mechanics have done conversions on the Holdens a decade and a half back. Have a word with my father on it. We ran the Holdens quite a bit on commercial hires with the diesel engines. He has bought 3 Holdens for 50k in the 80's.

At that time it was quite awesome hiring a huge car to run around in.

Hey Nilanka,

As I told you earlier....the diesel engines are quite pricey mainly since people are convering petrol vans in a big way these days. But our mechanics have done conversions on the Holdens a decade and a half back. Have a word with my father on it. We ran the Holdens quite a bit on commercial hires with the diesel engines. He has bought 3 Holdens for 50k in the 80's.

At that time it was quite awesome hiring a huge car to run around in.

Milindu, Devinda and I were just chatting about those holdens..... do you have any info on them? what kind of engines did they originally have? how many came down? and are there any left in original spec anymore?

thanks