• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upgrading from a 5 speed manual gearbox to 6 speed gearbox on a 2c diesel engine

sivajiraaj

Hey, guys I have 30year old townace cr27 with a non turbo 2c engine, engine was recently done, no problems in that, the problem is the gearbox with 5 speed transmission is not enough for me to cruise at higher speeds, can cruise at 80km/h easily  anything more than that feels like the toll on the engine because of the high revs. Even though I work through the gears , I still can't get a low rpm at the 5th, so I wanna know if anyone did this type of upgrades..

I don't know much of the mechanical side of this, so I wanna research on it.. Would a Carina gt six speed transmission work on this.?? 

Edited by sivajiraaj

Hi, 

The short answer to your long question will be, no.

No point in trying to fiit a car trans to a van.

instead, change the air filter,fuel filter, fill the fuel tank with super diesel,

check the alignment, put 35 bpsi on n all 4 tyres,

And change engine oil with a fully synthetic Diesel oil.

Good luck !

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 7/15/2023 at 1:46 PM, sivajiraaj said:

Would a Carina gt six speed transmission work on this.?? 

No...you cannot fit a C160 transmission to a 2C engine. For starters the bell housing is different to what the C160 can fit up to. So you will need to make a custom adapter plate. Secondly, the C160 transmission is for a front-wheel drive layout. The CR27 is a rear-wheel drive layout so you can't fix it for that reason too. The CR27 comes with a G52(?..some G5x transmission). That has totally different ratios to a C160 6-speed Carina GT transmission. Because of the difference the torque distribution of the CR27 will change. So the engine might be actually harder to get the vehicle moving.

I can't think of a gearbox you can fit to that engine...

option 1 - Slightly bigger tyre might be help on ur issue but have to reconfigure speedometer.

Option 2 - I think Townace flatbed model has different kind of differential ratio (Since rear tire smaller than regular model) and swaping differentail might help you to drive faster with regular tire. But again speedometer might not accure with that modification. 

Above are my thoughts and not a professional openion. :) 

On 7/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Hi, 

The short answer to your long question will be, no.

No point in trying to fiit a car trans to a van.

instead, change the air filter,fuel filter, fill the fuel tank with super diesel,

check the alignment, put 35 bpsi on n all 4 tyres,

And change engine oil with a fully synthetic Diesel oil.

Good luck !

TT.

It is running on super diesel, tyre pressure is 35 bpsi.. so guess must try the others... 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:05 PM, SamN said:

option 1 - Slightly bigger tyre might be help on ur issue but have to reconfigure speedometer.

Option 2 - I think Townace flatbed model has different kind of differential ratio (Since rear tire smaller than regular model) and swaping differentail might help you to drive faster with regular tire. But again speedometer might not accure with that modification. 

Above are my thoughts and not a professional openion. :) 

Original tyre size was 165/65 R13, changed to 185/70. R14, yes there is difference in speedometer when doing higher speeds.