• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is it worth upgrading to a RAV4 or Harrier 240 2008-2012

everyf4

Question

I own a 2008 CRV EX-L RE4, which gets around 6-7 kmpl in the city and 8-11 kmpl on the highway/ long drive when driven at 2k-3k rpm. One of the main drawbacks is the noticeable road noise and a slightly stiff ride. However, considering it's an SUV, it handles quite well.

I'm thinking about switching to a RAV4 or a Harrier240 (2008-2013). Is it worth making the switch? Also, do the newer CRV models have the same issues, and how's their handling?

PS-Not a big fan of hybrid harrier

Edited by everyf4

2 answers to this question

7 hours ago, everyf4 said:

I own a 2008 CRV EX-L RE4, which gets around 6-7 kmpl in the city and 8-11 kmpl on the highway/ long drive when driven at 2k-3k rpm. One of the main drawbacks is the noticeable road noise and a slightly stiff ride. However, considering it's an SUV, it handles quite well.

I'm thinking about switching to a RAV4 or a Harrier240 (2008-2013). Is it worth making the switch? Also, do the newer CRV models have the same issues, and how's their handling?

PS-Not a big fan of hybrid harrier

No...had generations 1 to 3 (i.e. models RD all the way to RE) CRVs and the RAV4s of the same era (dad had the CRVs and I had the RAV4). Had a few friends with Harriers that I used on long term basis when needed.

1. CR-V and RAV4 : Between the two, the CRV has always (and still is) the more "refined" option. It shows in the ride quality, the interior design, materials used, etc...the RAV4 on the other hand is the more rugged feeling option. Harder interior, harder ride. I do not recall the CRV being any louder than the RAV4. In fact the RAV4 seemed a bit more noiser. Between the two the RAV4 feels lighter and the transmission is less annoying. The K24A in the Honda has a bit more power than the 2AZ-FE in the RAV4 (187?hp vs 168hp?). However, the RAV4 feels quicker (and probably is if you time it) because of the CR-V's transmission and the fact that the CRV is a bit heavier than the RAV4.

But, if you are looking for a more comfortable, refined, quieter ride. Stick with the CRV.

2. CRV vs Harrier (I am assuming you are referring to the actual JDM Harrier U30 series which was offered from 2003 - 2013 and not the Lexus RX which was offered from 2008-2013). The Harrier uses Toyota's K platform which was a modified version of the New MC platform the RAV4 uses. It uses a lot (if not almost all at times) of the RAV4's power and drive train and suspension. The Harrier would be the closest in terms of refinement with the CR-V. It does have a noticeably quieter interior and a somewhat softer ride (although it shares most of the suspension from the RAV4). So when it comes to ride quality, refinement, design, etc....it will be a matter of personal preference. To me...in this day and age...the Harrier's design looks dated whilst the CR-V still looks relevant. I would say the Harrier feels the more lethargic of the three. Although the Harrier has the same engine from the RAV4 it has been detuned. In the RAV4 it has about 168hp...in the Harrier it is down to about 158hp. To make it worst, the Harrier weighs about 150kg more than the RAV4 (RAV4 is about 1530kg. Harrier nearly 1700kg).

Also, in regards to Toyota vs Honda, I find the real-time AWD system in the Toyotas a little bit better than the one in the Honda. It engages (i.e. reacts) a little bit faster than the Honda and when needed allows a little bit more wheel spin too. The 2AZ-FE engine in the RAV4/Harrier has a bit of a reputation for oil burning  due to a design issue. But if the car has been properly maintained the likelihood of this happening seemed to have lessened (only some display this issue). Also, some vehicles have already had the issue fixed. On the other hand, the K24A also has its problems with the crank seals wearing out and leaking oil to the timing chain tensioner having issues.

The CRVs and the RAV4s we had got about the same fuel economy within town..but outstation the CRV got 14-15kmpl whilst the RAV4 got only about 12ish. The worst fuel economy was with the Harrier.

So...if you are looking for performance (quick, hard, nimble ride) then the RAV4 is a better choice. If you are looking for a nice refined riding and driving experience...then stick with the CR-V. Do not go for the Harrier as it only has some extra comfort (go for it if that is what you want the most and you feel that it feels more refined than the CR-V you have as it will also depend on the trim-level of your CR-V). At the end of the day...if it was me, or if I was to give a biased opinion I would say stick with the CR-V. The performance gain with the RAV4 will not be felt by most. The added "luxury" of the Harrier will feel rather old and dated. Plus you have to consider other options too. You will be giving up a car you know very well and have maintained yourself to buy a car you have no idea what the history is. You will have to spend a lot on mandatory and preemptive maintenance work as soon as you buy the car (e.g. fluid changes, brake refresh, suspension check and replacements, etc...).

As for the newer CRVs....yes and no. If you look at the RM series or even RE5/6 there isn't much of a difference. THe drive train, engine are more less updates of what were in your CR-V RE4. Most improvements are in the design and safety equipment. Only hitch with this is that the 2.0L variant just feels underpowered and you will feel it doesn't perform as well as your CRV. Things change drastically with the current CR-V. Most in SL are 1.5L Turbo charged units. They put the same amount of power as the 2.4L petrol engine. However, you do feel that the engine is working quite hard. Unless you get the high trim variants from certain markets, you do feel the engine drone when the engine is off-boost. Also, as with every new car it uses more eco friendly materials so compared to your CRV the interior might feel "cheap". Same with the seats. Modern car seats are firmer and less plushier than the old ones (by design as apparently that is healthier for you?). So you might feel the seats a bit less comfortable. Also the new CRV does feel lighter and more nimble to the hand. 

Now..regarding your car....instead of buying a new car that you are most likely not going to like, have you considered the following ?

- Road noise: Have you considered that it could be the tires? It could be the actual brand/model  or even type of tire itself or because the tires are worn out. Is your drive-train in good condition ? gearbox, transfer case and differential are working okay ? Honda AWD systems are notorious for screeching and grinding when the oil is even slightly off spec and old. Are the axles, etc running properly ? Also, you could consider adding a bit more sound insulation ?

- Stiff ride : Is the suspension okay ? Use of non-spec bushings could make the ride stiff. Same with dampers...if the dampers are worn out and if what you have is non-spec. Then the ride can be stiff. You can consider checking the suspension system and try overhauling it (will be costly but then you will have to do similar things with a new car anyway). If you already have a stock system and everything is fine, then you can consider maybe using an aftermarket suspension system. There are some aftermarket suspension options from the likes of TEIN.

Huge thanks for the insight on the CRV, RAV4, and Harrier! It's super helpful. Being in a bit of a pickle deciding was my situation, but clarity was provided by your explanation. Your effort to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I recently took the car in for a service, the rear differential was checked, and the oil was changed; everything seemed okay. However, the suspensions need to be checked and the rear tires are not in great condition may be thats the reason for the noise.

The new CRV 1.5 has a CVT, so I guess that might be why the engine feels like it's being worked hard.