• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To Leaf or Not?

Wulfhunter

Question

Here's my requirement

I travel around 30kms a day. Apart from traveling to work and small errands I absolutely do not need a vehicle, infact the less I have to use it the better.

I was considering getting a 2012/2013 Nisaan Leaf with 4-5 battery bars, as the range would be sufficient for my needs. 

Main reasons to consider the leaf is as per below

I have a budget of 2-2.5 mil lease, or 50-60k that I want to use for traveling.

A regular fossil car would do around 10-14 at most, which substantially increases the cost of driving a vehicle.

Is there any better option where I can lease a car and keep the monthly cost below 60k? Or is the Leaf worth it considering my scenario? 

2 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Wulfhunter said:

Here's my requirement

I travel around 30kms a day. Apart from traveling to work and small errands I absolutely do not need a vehicle, infact the less I have to use it the better.

I was considering getting a 2012/2013 Nisaan Leaf with 4-5 battery bars, as the range would be sufficient for my needs. 

Main reasons to consider the leaf is as per below

I have a budget of 2-2.5 mil lease, or 50-60k that I want to use for traveling.

A regular fossil car would do around 10-14 at most, which substantially increases the cost of driving a vehicle.

Is there any better option where I can lease a car and keep the monthly cost below 60k? Or is the Leaf worth it considering my scenario? 

Just by running your numbers in my mind (could be wrong - no calculator used) it seems you would be spending less than 30K per month right? You need to do the math (maybe talk to a few leaf owners) and consider the electricity costs(again those are pretty high nowadays as well). If you have some industrial power supply/renewable energy (solar) then the leaf would make sense. But then again you're considering a 10 year old EV...in EV terms 10 years is very very old. It may have 4-5 battery bars now - but will it be like that in the future? You need to factor in battery replacement costs as well. 

Unless you have something like a solar set up (or you can charge the car at your workplace free of charge) and if the leaf is going to be your 'only' car - I don't really think it will make sense. A small petrol kei car like a Daihatsu mira (what was your budget again?) or a perodua would be more up your alley. Much less drama to run and when the time comes can be gotten rid of easily as well. IF you're comfortable with a manual  a Maruti Suzuki would make a lot of sense. They're fuel efficient and at the same time maintenance is simple and spare parts are dirt cheap. 

• Like 2

Small thing you need to keep in mind, the number of units consumed to charge the car when it was new and present with the depleted battery would be the same. Basically you are looking at 20+ units for a full charge to do 50kms vs same amount of units to run 100-120kms when new.

Also take into account this will be your primary car and you will not be able to run long distances and will always have the range anxiety. AC off go slowly trying to get to next charging place.

Beware of bogus battery reports, we are famous for forging reports and the likes, also just like fuel consumption in ICE cars you will not get the advertised / claimed mileage.