• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Passenger Car

Devinda_Z

we keep taling about performance cars and stuff né so i was thinking about our normal day to day drives...

what do you all recon to be the BEST passenger car for day to day use thats in SRI LANKA??

i know "autocar"or some nag will say "Mondeo" is good but honestly what car is the best performer in terms of

Quality

Space

Fuel Economy

Relaiblity

Performance

Price

the car should be a car used in Sri Lanka ( could have been a Brand new1 or Reconditioned) but has to have been used here & at least relaivly commmon

age is immetrial so can be from any era - jus that it has to satisfy those criteria

lets hear ur views of é BEST PASENGER CAR on Lankan soil :blink:

Edited by Devinda_Z

In Sri Lanka? Look around you brother. Its toyota corrolla! The number one market car in SL. The most valued car in recon unreg and even reg. In Victoria and some other states you call it the "Curry Car" becuase most of the south asians use it...

Well my first vote would go for the Toyota Corollas man.. for the simple reason that I ve heard all good about it.. and it is quite sought after in a way.. Not sure bout whether this is true but heard that the VVt-i engines of the newer corollas drink a tad bit more of fuel but i do doubt it.. but nevertheless Corollas have decent performance, ample space, economicality and everything you would look for..

the only factor which would change a decision would be personal preferences.. so i ve got no say.. some might like the designs of the Corollas n not.. personally i do not like it either cuz the car looks quite bulky..

Any opinions of whether Toyotas could be beaten in terms of reliability/costs of maintaining etc?

Zz

Its been different cars over the years (In The REAL world)

Austin A35/40/50/50 - Still is in the N.East areas

Then the Ford Consuls running as Tourers

Morris Minors did some solid running.

.....since then its been Japs all the way with some legendary bullet proof runners (Corolla KE20,72/Datsun-Nissan B310, B11, B13/ Lancer Box etc)

After the Doctor Sunny (FB13)

Corolla 110/ Nissan Sunny FB14/ Toyota Premio/ Carina

Today is the New Corolla 121 hands down (FB15 was more affoardable but nowhere near the Corolla).

but if this were Sri Lanka's Passenger car of the "century" - i'd say it would be hands down é MORRIS MINOR

can anyone think of a car thats made more impact or is still around -

i bet that EVERY sri lankan ver exposed to motring has either gone in or driven a MINOR :(

but if this were Sri Lanka's Passenger car of the "century" - i'd say it would be hands down é MORRIS MINOR

can anyone think of a car thats made more impact or is still around -

i bet that EVERY sri lankan ver exposed to motring has either gone in or driven a MINOR :(

Yeah what a car rack and pinnion steering in 1948! I'd like to lower a shiny black 2 door, pump out the wheel arches a bit more and slot in a nice twin cam in the bay!

The Morris Minors and Austin Cambridges are still very active in the NE part of Sri Lanka and in topping condition too

Then we had the VW Beetle which was a seller at one time (1970' and early 1980's)

then came the legendary Lancers (Flat light saloon,Station Wagon,Tubelight model,The Box model etc),these are still sought after in Sri Lanka

im away from SL now so im a bit outta touch with prices, does anyone know the current demand for a Lancer Box or the Lancer Tubelight model car now?

Its been different cars over the years (In The REAL world)

Austin A35/40/50/50 - Still is in the N.East areas

Then the Ford Consuls running as Tourers

Morris Minors did some solid running.

.....since then its been Japs all the way with some legendary bullet proof runners (Corolla KE20,72/Datsun-Nissan B310, B11, B13/ Lancer Box etc)

After the Doctor Sunny (FB13)

Corolla 110/ Nissan Sunny FB14/ Toyota Premio/ Carina

Today is the New Corolla 121 hands down (FB15 was more affoardable but nowhere near the Corolla).

current demand for a Lancer Box or the Lancer Tubelight model car now?

hmmm é beetle is also a possible contender for é title...

a for é Lancers - well demend for those models has definity dwindled in colombo,but propapbly toward é interior of the island i'm sure there are many who find it desirable

i'm not sure what é exact prices are , but i'd be inclined to speculate a price anywhere between Rs.200,000 to 600,000 for those models...

again just a calculated guess.. :)

The Morris Minors and Austin Cambridges are still very active in the NE part of Sri Lanka and in topping condition too

Then we had the VW Beetle which was a seller at one time (1970' and early 1980's)

then came the legendary Lancers (Flat light saloon,Station Wagon,Tubelight model,The Box model etc),these are still sought after in Sri Lanka

im away from SL now so im a bit outta touch with prices, does anyone know the current demand for a Lancer Box or the Lancer Tubelight model car now?

Talking about Austin Cambridges, one of my uncles owned a Morris Oxford 2 sri and had it in mint condition when i was a wee kid. He was a very fast driver and used to thrash that car on his trips to and from Avissawella. I was too young to drive but I thought it understeered like crazy on its cross-ply tyres. :D even though it was rwd. I could realize he was tugging the steering hard even though I was in the rear seat.

Then after years he bought a Lancer 1400 L-Light wagon. A real work horse. He drove it like a maniac and when I was old enough to drive it I could see why. It was low on power but it did have toque. In fact that's the 1st time I understood torque. And the suspension offered so little grip that you could easily get into a 4 wheel drift on a wet or uneven road. Fun! : :D And it felt very light.