• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Police Radar Detectors And Jammers

gpmac

Are police radar detectors and jammers available in SL, what are the better brands for such a product and where can I buy one and have it installed and do any of the members here have positive or negative comments on this product.

The only ppl I know who have detectors got them down from abroad. I think they aren't available here commercially.

There are variety of brands dude.. the Viper series, Belltronics etc. and most of em got varying quality of detection... Belltronics which lalithster s using a more reputed brand.. i doubt whether ya could buy the stuf here.. the only option would be to get it down from abroad and have it installed here via an electronics guy..

Always check the reviews of the radar detector ya are purchasing.. there are varying ranges and bands in which it detects..

Had an interest of installing one myself.. but then the cost factor obstructed it.. best ya feed yaself loads o vitamins and improve ya eyesight.. so that spotting cops would be a breeze :D easier.. n cheaper.. ya could purchase some good quality detectors via ebay dude..

Zz

There are variety of brands dude.. the Viper series, Belltronics etc. and most of em got varying quality of detection... Belltronics which lalithster s using a more reputed brand.. i doubt whether ya could buy the stuf here.. the only option would be to get it down from abroad and have it installed here via an electronics guy..

Zz

Well I’ve used it abroad and I know it works wonders… as they got fixed and mobile units abroad… However Got a question

U know the cops got these hand held unit…….. well does the detector recognize it only when it’s pointed towards the car and the cop presses whatever to activate the unit…? If that’s the case then may be a bit of an issue as will not have enough time to slow down. Any 1 got any idea on this ?

Anyway we got a kind of an early warning system (SL Style) guys keep flashing their Head lights meaning that there are cops ahead….. it has helped me several times

30thousand rupees??? U must be off ur rocker. I got a Whistler SRT 30 model from USA, for 30 dollars (three thousand rupees at that time.) It works fine in Sri Lanka incidently I used it there last July and August it detects the frequency SL cops are on and works quite well around corners as well (they were checkin speeders on the new road to Embilipitiya). you can google it but I doubt they ship to Sri Lanka. Anyway don't expect to spend more than 3 or 4k on one that'll work in Lanka.

Well I’ve used it abroad and I know it works wonders… as they got fixed and mobile units abroad… However Got a question

U know the cops got these hand held unit…….. well does the detector recognize it only when it’s pointed towards the car and the cop presses whatever to activate the unit…? If that’s the case then may be a bit of an issue as will not have enough time to slow down. Any 1 got any idea on this ?

Anyway we got a kind of an early warning system (SL Style) guys keep flashing their Head lights meaning that there are cops ahead….. it has helped me several times

As for ya question buddy.. once the cops right up front on a corner uses the speed gun on another vehicle.. the waves bounce all over the place and at most circumstances would be detected by ya radar detector.. thus warning ya.. certain brands though do not catch the waves so be wary at times.. the gun does not necessarily have to be pointed at.. but merely used for the waves to propogate and hit the detector..

oh and just in case the cops are using laser speed guns rather than the conventional speed guns.. then ya chances of escaping is reduced dramatically.. unlike waves, laser focuses on a single point and does not bounce.. most detectors would warn ya though once the laser is pointed onto the car but considering the speed at which our fellow motorists take corners (and the cops too stay a bit away from da corner yeah?) it would be VERY difficult to slow down sufficiently to jump a fine..

does anybody got any idea bout what type of speed guns our local "kossas" use?

lol.. yeah.. got saved like bout 4 odd times cuz of those dudes who flash the light..

Zz

Edited by neXGen

I think cops here use laser speed guns, I remember the word laser something written on a speed gun I saw up-close and even if u buy one of these 300USD gadgets ull also have to spend a similar amount I figer to get the thing cleared from the customs, which makes the whole exercise futile

Oh.. if its the laser shit.. then forget it lol.. but lets be thankful in a way that there aint no automated photo speed traps n stuff wit CCTV all over the plc..

but i dont think it would be a laser based gun buddy.. cuz it has a big screen at which ya ve gotta point the car too.. and it seems far too big if it were a laser system...

Zz

I think cops here use laser speed guns, I remember the word laser something written on a speed gun I saw up-close and even if u buy one of these 300USD gadgets ull also have to spend a similar amount I figer to get the thing cleared from the customs, which makes the whole exercise futile

Been using a Radar Detector for the last 4 years or so (brought down from abroad) and it worked fine until our cops switched to Laser detectors. (you'd notice the cops aiming the laser detector using a viewfinder, whereas the normal RF ones can be aimed like a handgun) My one doesn't work for Laser, but there are models which do.

I don't know how much advanced warning a laser detector would give in Sri Lanka considering the length of straight road stretches are relatively short here and you should already be within the Cops line of sight when you get the warning.

Anyone out there using laser capable detectors can comment..

Looking at the type of modifications that r available in SL these days im surprised that this type of kit is not sold by someone here, even though is would be expensive it would be a nice gadget to have but I guess bribing the copper would be much easier

I've had a Cobra 9600 (90$ on ebay) for 3 yrs and logged over 70,000 miles. Like others have said these detectors work well for RADAR bands but essentially if u can see the Laser then the Laser can see u. however, the cobra has picked up the Laser between cars upfront and allowed me enough time to slow down (the 3 cars in front got pulled over - I95 GA). Speaking of Lasers, check for "parking sensors" esp on M5board.. but it will cost u $$$$

Edited by dhp

i know somebody who has a Police Radar Detectors in sri lanka :) ... it works & it detects speed guns, traffic cams & police cars etc... i don't know how it works but it works... i'll up load the video on ut*** soon.... :lol:

check this out :D

36905472fullkr2.jpg

Edited by dillongt

Thats why its always safe to draft behind other speedoholics :lol: it ve saved me loadza times.. lolz..

Laser speed guns has a way more faster speed calculation period.. while the Radar guns need a few secs of pointing and homing... Laser guns would in most cases indicate the vehicles speed instantly.. are there any Laser jammers?

Zz

are there any Laser jammers?

now I wouldnt suggest using jammer as they're illegal in most places :lol: just follow the hint at the end of my previous post...

Edited by dhp

now I wouldnt suggest using jammer as they're illegal in most places :lol: just follow the hint at the end of my previous post...

i do buddy :D but who could be following vehicles al the times? heehee.. do ya suppose our local kossas would knw about these jammers and pull ya over?

Zz

i do buddy :lol: but who could be following vehicles al the times? heehee.. do ya suppose our local kossas would knw about these jammers and pull ya over?

Zz

lemme elaborate; there is this "parking/ distance sensor" sold mostly in europe that most of the guys on M5boards talk about all the time. Its a hardwired unit that is also known to play havoc on some Laser guns. Now jammers are illegal in most countries and in some states in the US. but a working parking sensor that might have a side effect on a laser gun is a case for a higer court... not sure what the SL interpretation would be.. after all, this is the country that outlawed helmets. Ricking Fartards!

Edited by dhp

Rs30,000 is the price for a good radar/laser detector. Does ur Rs3000 dector pick up lasers too? Plus my detector pics up all current bands used by the police and is able to update its software. If the police keep the radar gun tuned off u will never detect it, only when they hit u with it. I had a Rs9000 Cobra in my old celica and that was about 6 years old. I still us it and it works fine and I have never gotten a speeding ticket. Laser jamers are allowed in my area so my friend just installed one on his M3. I may also install one because it is hard to evade lasers if its pointed right at you.

Darren uses a laser jamer with a valantine one detector. His set up is about Rs. 1 lak but the good thing is the company promises to pay ur speeding ticket if you get one. He is going to need it because his M3 puts down 500hp!

Valantine radar/laser detector also tells what direction the signal is coming from.

GadgetsM20Controls-1.jpg

laser jamers

GadgetsM20-2.jpg

GadgetsM20-1.jpg