• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Police Radar Detectors And Jammers

gpmac

what really sucks is getting a "speeding ticket" for doing 60kmh :D bloody speed limit is 56kmh in Colombo and suburbs according to the cop i got busted to recently :P

Mind you i got busted for going on the right hand side lane when the left lane was vacant. Apparently according to traffic laws, you can only get onto the right lane to either overtake a lefty or to turn right :o

Worthwhile investing on a decent laser/radar detector to save numerous trips to cop stations and all that hassle especially if you get copped out of colombo :)

that is where i find the trend changing .. atleast in my trips that is... most of the traps are now focused within the town areas and the urban area traps are decreasing.. else i remember last year when i was heading to beruwela there were like 3 coppers at dif places catching high speed motorists.. on my recent trip to kandy.. not a single one was sighted.. either it is ma good timing .. or there is some changes somewhere...

Zz

Mind you i got busted for going on the right hand side lane when the left lane was vacant. Apparently according to traffic laws, you can only get onto the right lane to either overtake a lefty or to turn right

First I've heard of such a 'Law'. What was the actual offense they put in the charge sheet ?

from what I remember u can contest (dispute) any charge brought against you by the police. Only catch is, u actually have to go to court and ask for evidence. might even have to lawyer up.

In teh US and in other western countries, the driver has the right to ask for proof as well as the last date of calibration for the laser/radar gun. IF the cop is unable to provide proof, then the charge is dismissed. Most often its a printout of the image captured by the gun with ur car in teh cross-hairs. Radar guns need to be callibrated as it messures the doppler shift of the return wave.

I have only been to a court in SL once for a traffic violation. was heading north on the (new) galled Rd in 96/97 and a 3wheeler came out from the left side and stops right smack in the middle of the rd in front of me (I think his engine stalled). I could have either railed the center devider or dried to go left towards teh houses to avoid the 3wlr. Since a private bus had gone towards the houses and killed a bunch of ppl a few weeks prior to that and hte driver almost killed by the mob, I am glad I sent towards the devider. but there was not enough room to get by and ended up hitting the guy. I was swarmed by the local mob. I was surprised to see how well versed they were in traffic law. They said that I was going so fast they they didnt even see me! and that it was my fault as I couldnt stop...sadly the moratuwa police was as retarded as the mob. So I had to goto court in koralawella! I just plead guilty and paid 500Rs. as I had better things to do...

but I did get a chance to spend some time in the lil jail cell in the back of the court room. I was sitting between a murderer and a guy who stole a womans underwear and a chicken :D ....aaaah the good ole days!

Edited by dhp

but I did get a chance to spend some time in the lil jail cell int eh back of the court room. I was sitting between a murder and a guy who stole a womans underwear and a chicken :P ....aaaah the good ole days!

underwear & chicken!!!! duuuude that freaking hillarious! :)

but getting beat up by é Moratu "Beach Boys" is not a fun thought! :D

any altercations in é states that are just as amusing? :o

underwear and chicken??!! shite.. let lose the matter of stealing an underwear n chicken.. but getting caught robbin em is even worse lmao...

i remember readin bout an australian dude who had been driving in reverse for about 80 odd kms along the roads as only the reverse gear works lol.. apparently he was released after a good warning..

Zz

it was a whole lot more funny in person and keep in mind that all the charges were read in Sinhala. "valey thibu kanthawakage yata andum sora ganeema, & my favorite "kukuleku sora ganeema". Trust me guys, it was worth the 500Rs. There's no way you can laugh that hard for 5$ at a comedy club!

I had a ton of damage to the car I was driving as the 3wlr had metal-pipe-bumper about 25-30K for new axle and fender, tire etc. I was going at the speed of light in a diesel charade (997cc).

as for incidents in the US; nothing I wanna fess upto on a public forum :( for the most part, trouble is mild here - goto a bar, have a few drinks, someone calls u a name thinking ur an arab or look at u funny, get some knuckle bumps...go home. No where close to the dangers on the streets of Colombo! no "dali pihi" "dappi" etc.

Edited by dhp

it was a whole lot more funny in person and keep in mind that all the charges were read in Sinhala. "valey thibu kanthawakage yata andum sora ganeema, & my favorite "kukuleku sora ganeema". Trust me guys, it was worth the 500Rs. There's no way you can laugh that hard for 5$ at a comedy club!

I had a ton of damage to the car I was driving as the 3wlr had metal-pipe-bumper about 25-30K for new axle and fender, tire etc. I was going at the speed of light in a diesel charade (997cc).

as for incidents in the US; nothing I wanna fess upto on a public forum :) for the most part, trouble is mild here - goto a bar, have a few drinks, someone calls u a name thinking ur an arab or look at u funny, get some knuckle bumps...go home. No where close to the dangers on the streets of Colombo! no "dali pihi" "dappi" etc.

LOL! Guess all countries got their share o raving lunatics... speed thrills but kills .. :(

wel ya ve gotta commend sri lankan attitude quite a bit cuz it is these dali pihi and stuff which makes certain drivers fear for their life and go a bit slow atleast lol...

Zz

Edited by neXGen

....all depends on é area i guess...

Panadura Rd - no one dares to be cocky out there!!

&é one time notorious rds surrounding just abt any local University!!

How about maligawatte? hehe.. walking into the area could instil a fear in ya lmao..

Zz

There is another product in addition to the Laser Jammer called Stealth coat by a company called Veil me think.. apply a coat of that liquid onto the front and voila.. it would NOT jam the laser but delay the speed locking time of the laser gun.. in the sense.. if thy speed could be detected from 2000ft.. this stuff would effectively prevent detection up to bout 1100ft.. efficiency varies though from the colour of the card and installation... the basics in this countermeasure is to give the driver enough time to react.. pretty costly stuf i hear though..

Zz

• 2 months later...

Found a seller on ebay that ships to SL and accepts BIDPAY and the dude has Cobra 9500 and 9700 at 60something and 80something respectively... shipping is 30 odd so not a bad deal...

Was wondering whether the customs buggers here will make a fuss over it if i were to ship it down to SL...

Any experience guys??? I think GihanFX had got one shipped down...

Don't mind loosing a few rs. to make the fellows there happy if that helps :D

30thousand rupees??? U must be off ur rocker. I got a Whistler SRT 30 model from USA, for 30 dollars (three thousand rupees at that time.) It works fine in Sri Lanka incidently I used it there last July and August it detects the frequency SL cops are on and works quite well around corners as well (they were checkin speeders on the new road to Embilipitiya). you can google it but I doubt they ship to Sri Lanka. Anyway don't expect to spend more than 3 or 4k on one that'll work in Lanka.

I have a Whistler now as well but unfortunately it couldn't save me from a ticket for doing 66 in a 50 zone last Saturday morning somewhere near Yatiyantota. At 5 am, in Yatiyantota, for God's sake! However, I didn't get caught because the device was faulty but because it fell off the dash about 3 mins before I got stopped and I couldn't be bothered to put it back up again.

Thats why its always safe to draft behind other speedoholics ;)

Damn straight. The best method of countering speed traps are to find a willing, naive billa, AKA billy boy, and he'll happily take the bullets for you. :)

what really sucks is getting a "speeding ticket" for doing 60kmh :violent-smiley-030: bloody speed limit is 56kmh in Colombo and suburbs according to the cop i got busted to recently :P

Mind you i got busted for going on the right hand side lane when the left lane was vacant. Apparently according to traffic laws, you can only get onto the right lane to either overtake a lefty or to turn right :ninja:

Worthwhile investing on a decent laser/radar detector to save numerous trips to cop stations and all that hassle especially if you get copped out of colombo :angry-smiley-048:

Guys do they have the 10% margin rule here? In aussie, since most car speedo's aren't 100% accurate, plus there's a 10% error margin for the radar gun itself, if you're caught in a 60 zone, you're allowed upto 66 before you're fined.

RADAR SIGNALS

1. X Band Radar

2. K Band Radar

3. Ka Superwide Radar

4. Ku Band Radar*

5. VG-2 Radar Detector-Detector

6. Spectre Radar Detector-Detector

LASER SIGNALS

1. LTI 20-20TM Laser

2. Ultra LyteTM Laser

3. ProLaser

4. ProLaser III

Since all you guys are on the subject of speed detectors check out this video. This is quite old but useful.

nope...no 10% margin here <_<

and on billy boys... oneday I was trailing a speeding volvo and the cops got all activated to catch the dude but he was too fast for them but the sorry little bugger who was going behind him...who happened to be me got ticketed :angry-smiley-024::lol:

Didn't have enough time to slow down or to catch up with the volvo cos the cop buggers were out of sight until they jumped out with the speed gun :(

Found a seller on ebay that ships to SL and accepts BIDPAY and the dude has Cobra 9500 and 9700 at 60something and 80something respectively... shipping is 30 odd so not a bad deal...

Was wondering whether the customs buggers here will make a fuss over it if i were to ship it down to SL...

Dude,

I severely doubt these Customs guys, had a bad experience recently, and ended up paying a fine too... Total damage exceeded four times the equipment value. :(

I got down the Cobra 9700 bout 2 months back from the U.S., had it removed into 2 pieces and packed separately. Cost me bout Rs.8000/-

Works fine, specially this last weekend.. dodged 2 cop points.. :jumping-smiley-013:

i didnt ship it directly to SL and its already shiped to USA address and after my cousin receive other stuff that i orderd he will send them to me

• 2 weeks later...

hola... i so wanna buy this thing off ebay but worried about customs dudes confiscating it...

these blokes get so excited on things they don't see that often :)

once i got an offshore trolling rod from aus and those buggers were so curious i had to explain how we catch fish with those from a to z :P

but got the thing out with minimum taxes due to that pr work :D

but i highly doubt a radar detector will slip through that easily...unless you have an insider :ninja:

Did any one try ebay?

i realy need one now, never felt the need like saturday

Well, came from Hikkaduwa, bad thing is going back again soon as the licence is in Hikka police after a 77KMPH speeding ticket. "Anei sir, im from negombo, have a heart, today match also ne" blah blah didnt work, "I KNOW THE LAW" points didnt work out (he didnt have the fellow policeman with him which means he cannot write a fine according to the law), then "how much do you want" didnt work....At the end another 230kms trip to hikka and 1200 fine.. Damn :-1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dude,

I'm planing to buy a Radar/Laser Detector. According to the product description it detects,

# X Band Radar

# K Band Radar

# Ka Superwide Radar

# VG-2 Radar Detector-Detector

# Spectre 1 Radar Detector-Detector

# LTI20-20 Laser

# Ultra Lyte Laser

# ProLaser

# ProLaser III

Will it work in SL?

Dude i don't think too many people know exactly what bands and types sl cops have. they do have both laser and radar.

There are some brand names mentioned here that are working in sl so best bet is to go for one of those brands that are tried and tested by AL members :D

Edited by Ripper

• 3 weeks later...