• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cost Of Havin A 318i

Shismo

Hey guys i'm thinkin of buyin a Beemer!! A registered one !! N i'm wonderin what will be cheaper in the long run since i'm only doin around 1000kM a month. Is it a 318i or 320D? N What's da fuel consumption in city drivin n all realted costs of a 318i? Thanx Guyz!!

Hey guys i'm thinkin of buyin a Beemer!! A registered one !! N i'm wonderin what will be cheaper in the long run since i'm only doin around 1000kM a month. Is it a 318i or 320D? N What's da fuel consumption in city drivin n all realted costs of a 318i? Thanx Guyz!!

All the E46 versions are quite frugal fuelwise. Repair cost is managable if you can affoard the car. Make sure you get a low mileage car with a service history.

Best option is a facelifted petrol. But you get quite a few older model cars which are in good shape.

Avoid diesels with over 50k.

if its only 1000 kms then dont bother with a Diesel - u ught to be going for sheer driving pleasure

whats ur budget like??

If you think the BMW diesel doesn't give you 'Sheer driving pleasure' you're very much misinformed my friend.

Edited by madmax

If you think the BMW diesel doesn't give you 'Sheer driving pleasure' you're very much misinformed my friend.

I was going to say that but you beat me to it.

Devinda machan I saw a race between the 330i (E46 facelift) and a the 330d on top gear....machan you would not believe how close it was. The diesels are torqy mofo's.

Back to the topic

Depending on budget I'd say look for a E46 318 failing which a E36 318.

I was going to say that but you beat me to it.

Devinda machan I saw a race between the 330i (E46 facelift) and a the 330d on top gear....machan you would not believe how close it was. The diesels are torqy mofo's.

Back to the topic

Depending on budget I'd say look for a E46 318 failing which a E36 318.

yeah D_Z'S not a huge diesel fan (execpt for Land Rovers :lol:)... I fully concur.. that 3.0 diesel is something VERY special.. even better in twin turbo form in the 535d IMO...... now THAT is one hell of a car...

seriously though, question for madmax, is the 320d as entertaining?? the only E46's i've driven have been a pair of 318i's, and they are pretty good.....

no argument é 320d is brisk - BUT as refined as it is for a Diesel , u will miss é clean revving note of a Petrol n will have to make do with Diesel clutter , no matter how good it is to drive...

as for getting an E46 Diesel - jus a few days back a nutter at car sale was quoting 4.6 mil for a 65- 320d!!

so given that é requirement is for a 2nd car ( assumed on é basis of é few Km's its exected to run) why bother paying a premium for a tired Diesel and go invest that money on a Petrol , possibly a 320 or 328 if any r to be found...

an E36 would be a budget buy dont u'll think - good value at 'current 1.5millish rate...IMO..

chech é BMW threads - there were prices n specifics noted - Happy26 started that thread i belive - check that...

thanks Devinda, trying still to convince the wife to buy your Z if its there. But the chances of us going for a Bm is better than going for yours. Impractical she says!!!! Where can we go she says. where will she puit the dog she says... ahhhh women!!!

thanks Devinda, trying still to convince the wife to buy your Z if its there. But the chances of us going for a Bm is better than going for yours. Impractical she says!!!! Where can we go she says. where will she puit the dog she says... ahhhh women!!!

well its practical enough to go anywhere u'd be able to go with a Beemer n do it with added flair :)

...but ur only hitch will be é dog - unless its a toy breed u can fit in a bag, it'll have to be relegated to é boot..which isnt all that big on space given é Sub hogs up é bulk of it - but remove in n u can just abt fit a Labradore (a pup@least :D ) in there :lol:

drop me a mail if é Mrs. needs a demo - who knows after a round in é "Z" she may change her mind :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just to add my two cents worth - having recently moved from a 320d to a facelift 2002 318i, the 320d has no comparision when it comes to economy but the pickup on the 318i which is incidently a 2 litre is fantastic. Overall the 318i will give you about 8 km/l in heavy Colombo traffic so long as you don't keep your foot on the pedal.

Cheers,

MadMMX.

u traded it in is it? if u dont mind me asking how much we're each of é cars valued at?

apart from é headlamps what are é otherchanges bewtween é old one n é Facelifted model??

techinically as well as cosmetically? :huh:

Actually the 65- 320d got a trade-in of ~4m and essentially the 318i was about 5m. The main difference from what I gather between the 2000 318i and the 2002~ 318i is a newer larger engine. The older one used a M43/44 engine which turned out about 117hp and was 1895CC. The post 2002 had a N42 engine which turns out 143hp and is 1995CC and has a system called valvetronic. (Similar I guess to VTEC).

Have spoken to friends and Mi**** and they reckon that the new 318i is more fuel efficient than the older one which was quite thirsty. Other than that the interior is pretty much identical with the exception that the stereo connection plug has changed so I can't use my older after market stereo adapter - so no pioneer mp3 player yet till I get a new connector.

Overall the ride is extremly smooth and the engine is extra quiet - a far cry from the 320d which was more noisy, but the pickup when you floor the pedal is fantastic - it goes like a rocket.

Cheers,

MadMMX.