• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Recognize This Car?

Asanka76

• 1 year later...

ROEWE China to sell the SsangYong KYRON as an MG SUV

Casting their devious nets even farther afield than usual, our spy shooters have just checked in with a new SUV mule from China’s Roewe that could find its way onto the European market branded as an MG. Think that’s not quite confusing enough? Well the Chinese ute with British marque pretensions is actually based on a vehicle from none other than South Korea’s SsangYong, the much-loved Kyron. Welcome to the global market kids.

So, the truth is we don’t really know much about the SsangYong on which this mule originates but our sources tell us that it has been tweaked to be a bit more attractive than the root vehicle, thanks to changes in the front end, side windows, and the rear treatment. The new Roewe will carry on with the same engine range offered in its forbearer, meaning a 2.0-liter diesel unit with 141 horsepower and a 2.7-liter diesel with 165 horsepower, both hooked to an automatic transmission. Two-wheeled and four-wheeled versions of the SUV will be available.

And the MG tie-in? Well, Roewe’s parent company SAIC is still trying to make a go of reviving the storied British automaker, largely through the reanimation of its former plant in Longbridge, UK. Former MG and Rover products have been freshened and sold in China already under the Roewe nameplate, so it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think that the company may bring this vehicle to Europe under the better known MG brand. Only time will tell.

Scroll down to read the shooter’s own words and be sure to check out our gallery of images up above.

Here are the best spy shots so far of the new SUV from Chinese carmaker Roewe taken in a smaller town in China. Based on the SsangYong Kyron, we can notice some changes. Compared to the Kyron there is a completely new front, which actually looks better. They also made a change to the rear side window and of course they changed the ugly rear of the Kyron. The roof spoiler must be loved by both SsangYong and Roewe designers because they kept that one on the car.

The Roewe actually looks pretty decent, but it will never win a prize for its design. There are even rumors that the Roewe SUV will be branded as a MG for the European market.

Engines are likely to be the same as in the SsangYong Kyron, meaning a 2.0 liter diesel engine with 141 horsepower and a 2.7 liter diesel with 165 horsepower. Both will be available with an automatic gearbox, and you will also be able to choose from 2WD and 4WD versions.

Expect it to hit the showrooms during 2009

Source : NextAutos http://www.nextautos.com/spy-shot-chinas-r...building-suv-mg

oh no.... they're murdering the name of a legendary brand.....why can't they let MG die with dignity.... :(

god i hate tony blair for not bailing Mg/rover out... :angry:

HelRazor, MG Rovers problems ran very deep and had existed for nearly 30 years. The previous government bail out actually made things worse than better. There was little to be gained from bailing out MG Rover, that would only have postponed its demise. I mean BMW tried to inject life in to the company but failed and lost a hell of a lot of money, even with a few decent cars being introduced in their time, the Phoenix group suffered the same fate ........ the Rover brand is irreparably damaged. The Mini brand was retained by BMW and MG only had the MGF to stake its full reputation in. They just wasn't making money ............ and the situation with the unions made it impossible to instigate the institution wide changes necessary to bring it up to standards of a modern car maker. I was very sad the day they went under, and British volume car manufacturing industry came to an end ...... but sadly it wasn't going to end any other way ...

HelRazor, MG Rovers problems ran very deep and had existed for nearly 30 years. The previous government bail out actually made things worse than better. There was little to be gained from bailing out MG Rover, that would only have postponed its demise. I mean BMW tried to inject life in to the company but failed and lost a hell of a lot of money, even with a few decent cars being introduced in their time, the Phoenix group suffered the same fate ........ the Rover brand is irreparably damaged. The Mini brand was retained by BMW and MG only had the MGF to stake its full reputation in. They just wasn't making money ............ and the situation with the unions made it impossible to instigate the institution wide changes necessary to bring it up to standards of a modern car maker. I was very sad the day they went under, and British volume car manufacturing industry came to an end ...... but sadly it wasn't going to end any other way ...

very true,thanks don....yeah me too was heart broken the day MGrover went bust...

very true,thanks don....yeah me too was heart broken the day MGrover went bust...

The next few months are crucial for a number of well renowned marks particularly General Motors, who apparently don't have money to last out next month at the moment. They has similar problems to MG Rover, in the sense they failed to deal with the labour unions when they had the opportunity (when times were good) and they failed to plan for the future. The fact is you can't make crap cars, not keep up with the competition and expect to live off your name and patriotism forever.

I mean honestly MG Rover used to get away with high murder with the quality of cars they produced. Even the beloved Mini was made so bad that silencers used to fall off after 10K miles (according to a certain mini enthusiast friend of mine who has nearly always owned a mini apart from his daily ride which is currently a BMW), and even in the last generation of Mini's they failed to address the issue of rust in certain areas. I mean c'mon, Britain's roads are salted so it should be a no brainier you would think but ........ no ........

I have to say in certain ways all of this good for the consumer. I was listening to an interview by Richard Branson once and he said the best in the market always survives :)

i was never a fan of MG cars that were made by rover but i am a huge fan of all pre 1970 MG's...

the modern F and the saloons were not at all true MGs..even the MG SVR supercar was not true to it's roots...but it was still british..

i just wish that MG was allowed to die peacefully with it's dignity intact rather than being name-whored by the chinese,who have no imagination what so ever when it comes to making cars...

Edited by HelRazor

The next few months are crucial for a number of well renowned marks particularly General Motors, who apparently don't have money to last out next month at the moment.

Yup very true next wave of the credit crunch is poised to take down the big three car makers in US unless the government intervenes. I was surprised this topic went unnoticed for so long. Well lets face it US car industry is very well set to suffer the same fate as the brits did. so if its not today it’ll surely be tomorrow. We sri lankans and brits have one thing in common. When we open our months all we do is reminisce the great history unfortunately same can’t be said about the future.

On a slightly different note have you boys noticed the amount of Rover 75s in SL roads? Any ideas from where they were brought down? They seem to bear ‘K’ plates.

i just wish that MG was allowed to die peacefully with it's dignity intact rather than being name-whored by the chinese,who have no imagination what so ever when it comes to making cars...

Chinese are a funny nation. I don’t know why they are not putting any serious effort to revamp their motor industry. In an age the great old motor companies are falling like balling pins if they can differentiate and establish themselves like Hyundai did their future is sure to be bright. Instead of building cheap knock offs. It’s as if they have no intention to expand beyond mainland china.