• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Montero Sl

fuzzo

personal experiance is not sufficiant to warrant anything solid - but ladder frames on a Landy equal a spine snapping choppy ride :(

but i'm inclined to concurr with Milindu on é Land Cruisers having a better ride...

but whether é monocoque structure alone can be at fault is questionable as most other smaller SUV's , Freelanders etc have decent ride - so its probably got more to do with the suspension settings...

any idea if é older 90's "Intercooler" Pajero's had a seperate chassis or not - é ride on those way quite exceptional for é era i felt...

Note the very successful 90's intercooler came with a ladder frame build and it is more comfy that then new Montero.

May be the dampening in the Landy is poor when it comes to body mounts.

I think the fact that the Montero is a large vehicle while being monocoque combined with the stiff suspension is the cause.

We tried an aftermarked soft suspension kit. While the vibrations reduced a bit, the bumbs on the road still send vibrations across the whole body

In the case of the Montero, the monocoque structure along with the hard suspension (They only order the stiff rough road package brandnew), you feel every bump on the road. This after sometime makes the dashboard and the interiors to rattle.

Landcruisers come with a ladder frame construction with body mounts absoring the impact as different points.

This is just my experience.

SUV experts.....any comments?

From what I know the ladder frame chassis is old today. Almost all other manufacturers use the monocoque or integrated body frame in their vehicles. These make the vehicles pretty strong unlike the ladder frame.

What about cars?? The mini didn't have a chassis. What about the other cars they do feel comfortable don't they and they have had no problems with rattles and all if you look after it.

Ladder frames in SUV's or call it 4WD were used to give them far reaching ability. But nowadays they have moved on.

The New Disco for example has an integrated steel body frame in place of the Ladder but when it comes to absorbing pot holes it is superb be it air suspension or none. It doesn't even compromise the fact that it is still tough in the off the road de tours and according to international experts is far better than the competition.

But of course that doesn't mean that the Montero will be the same. It all buckles down to the manufacturer and his ability and experience. I don't know how the earlier model fared.

From what I know the ladder frame chassis is old today. Almost all other manufacturers use the monocoque or integrated body frame in their vehicles. These make the vehicles pretty strong unlike the ladder frame.

What about cars?? The mini didn't have a chassis. What about the other cars they do feel comfortable don't they and they have had no problems with rattles and all if you look after it.

Ladder frames in SUV's or call it 4WD were used to give them far reaching ability. But nowadays they have moved on.

The New Disco for example has an integrated steel body frame in place of the Ladder but when it comes to absorbing pot holes it is superb be it air suspension or none. It doesn't even compromise the fact that it is still tough in the off the road de tours and according to international experts is far better than the competition.

But of course that doesn't mean that the Montero will be the same. It all buckles down to the manufacturer and his ability and experience. I don't know how the earlier model fared.

That why I'm saying it might be down to size of the Motero (being larger) and ofcourse possibly poorer build quality.

Isn't the New LR 3 a Semi-Monocoque allowing some dampening?

May be you can check with your 4x4 crowd about this issue. While it make the vehicle more rigid and better off road, its still kinda noisy on our roads.

That why I'm saying it might be down to size of the Motero (being larger) and ofcourse possibly poorer build quality.

Isn't the New LR 3 a Semi-Monocoque allowing some dampening?

May be you can check with your 4x4 crowd about this issue. While it make the vehicle more rigid and better off road, its still kinda noisy on our roads.

The LR3 is said to have 3 chassis interconnected, thus the weight of 2.7tons compared to the 2.1ton old model.

Small example of the strength of the integrated body shell,

A guy coming down from Yala driving a Disco was hit broadside by a Canter carrying people. What happened?? The canter had rolled over thrice and the unfortunate passengers have suffered 3 or 4 are supposed to be in critical condition.

Disco3, just the driver side door damaged and it has stood its ground. That is what a good chassis will do to you. It will save your life same can be said of the old Freelander as well, there was a story of a guy being caught in a train accident and surviving without a scratch.

I'm not advertising anything here but I'm just showing how strong a monocoque chassis can be.

The LR3 is said to have 3 chassis interconnected, thus the weight of 2.7tons compared to the 2.1ton old model.

Small example of the strength of the integrated body shell,

A guy coming down from Yala driving a Disco was hit broadside by a Canter carrying people. What happened?? The canter had rolled over thrice and the unfortunate passengers have suffered 3 or 4 are supposed to be in critical condition.

Disco3, just the driver side door damaged and it has stood its ground. That is what a good chassis will do to you. It will save your life same can be said of the old Freelander as well, there was a story of a guy being caught in a train accident and surviving without a scratch.

I'm not advertising anything here but I'm just showing how strong a monocoque chassis can be.

Yeah 3 Chassis interconnected makes it a semi-monocoque. It should make it stronger and safer and heavier as well. The interconnecting mounts will dampen the impact.

Even I like the LR3 for its looks and comfort.

But in the Montero, the suspension is hard and it connects direct to the body as a result.....the whole thing vibrates when you are on a bad road. May be airsuspension like in some of the domestic models would have been nice.

In the case of the Montero, the monocoque structure along with the hard suspension (They only order the stiff rough road package brandnew), you feel every bump on the road. This after sometime makes the dashboard and the interiors to rattle.

Landcruisers come with a ladder frame construction with body mounts absoring the impact as different points.

This is just my experience.

SUV experts.....any comments?

from wht i'v experienced, the interior of the montero does start to rattle over time, so u could just be right.

spotted the new montero on the road. judging by the security around, it definitely belonged to one of our 'overnight millionare ministers' :D

was white and looked very nice. from the front it looked a lot less bigger than the older one. i know im never gonna buy one, not just bcoz of its price tag, but the fact that its just a big show piece.... just my opinion btw!

Cheers!