• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is The Land Rover Expert In Sri Lanka

landy_man

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devinda,

whats your land rover. is it a 110. ? county? what engine machan

its a 1994 Brand New vehicle gifted to é Dept of social services or something along those lines

110 County Station Wagon in White

its a tropicalized spec with é original Land Rover full dash with A/C vents incoporated

Coil sprung with é R380 Greabox with é reverse bellow 5th

é only downside is that its running its orginal 12J Normally Aspirated engine :mellow:

Devinda,

how come u have a R380 with a 12j. LT77 comes with the 12j 19j tdi and even for 200 tdis.

did you get a conversion done.

nope its all bone stock machan - i'm running on é factory set up with é original engine gear box n all! :)

engine has now covered over 220,000 Km's so its had a rebuild but yet a little sluggish...

its part of something like 20 or so specail order units made by Land Rover for é Tropics in that spec.

cuz see all é parts are Defender stuff made for é 300Tdi's as this a 1994 model

but its only é Engine thats older - reason is possible cuz these vehicles were gifted to é department by foreign govt.s or wut ever they decided to save some money by putting é old engine

it pulls better than a 12J on a LT77 box cuz 'ratios are said to be different

its a very rare specification :)

I am sure it is a rare spec. I guess you have the AC vents in between the top and lower dash panels. the later versions came with the ac duct fitted under the lower dash panel and it was a seperate unit. i have that type in my canopy. i once saw the other type(which i assume you have) and told by Osanda that it is a domestic model. Another land rover guy told me that it was the spec for middle east countries (dubai)..i think its correct. we see loads of Land rovers here in UK and they all are domestic(used inside UK) but they have the other type Air con vents. I guess Osanda doesnt know the meaning of domestic.

Any way I think having a R380 12j is kind of wierd. I have heard that some do the vice versa to get more performance in muddy tracks. (LT77 in to a 200 or a 300) coz LT 77 is said to have a better gearing ratio for sloggy tracks.

anyway machan I think you have made a wise decission. Keep the originality of the vehicle. Its hard to find a genuine vehicle with the original specs nowadays.

Though i have dropped a 300 Tdi into my canopy I have a very high regard for the naturally aspirated 12J.

I had a 12j and used it for nearly 2 years, never had any problems with that.

Any way I think having a R380 12j is kind of wierd. I have heard that some do the vice versa to get more performance in muddy tracks. (LT77 in to a 200 or a 300) coz LT 77 is said to have a better gearing ratio for sloggy tracks.

anyway machan I think you have made a wise decission. Keep the originality of the vehicle. Its hard to find a genuine vehicle with the original specs nowadays.

yeah i too have heard abt the LT77 being able to elicit more torque from é engines & offering it lower down é rev range - this makes é power more usable when é diff is locked etc

é R380 is said to have been designed to make é Defender more comfortable on motorways as well - so é gearing is a little taller to wards é top to allow more cruising without having to run outta revs :)

i'll post some pics of é A/C set up n vents l8r tonight...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Machan,

this is how my dash and AIRCON is fitted. Its a Td5 dash. I must change the Steering wheel..it doesnt look nice in there. the problem with the original steering wheel is its too big and hits on my knees.

hey thats cool machan!! :)

how did u get é TD5 dash installed? :huh:

i quite like that steering wheel :D - reminicent of é Series Landies with é raw Metal touch! é only thing lacking is é Land Rover badge on é centre of é wheel! :mellow:

u've got é same dash board configuration i've been dreaming to have if and when i get myself a 90! :)

machan u've gotten work done from Ind*ka right? do u think he'd be capable of handling a project to build a 90 with a 300Tdi & an Auto gear box with all round disks?

or posibly a 50th anniversary V8 auto 90 replica?? :)

i wanna do something like that but dunno who can be trusted & is capable of handling such a challenging task...

any ideas or recommendations? :huh:

Machan, take my word..dont think i am a propagandist. Indika is the man you should look for if you need quality work.

Can you see the one through the windscreen ..its done by osanda...body work is a mess. This one is like brand new...Indika tuned up the engine..machan now it can go with a petrol montero...believe me so much power and tourque.

I wouldnt think twice to recommend him.

Indika had his hands in 300 tdi s long time back. now he is moving onto td5s too. so he knows what exactly he is doing.

I will warn you though...We are talking about some big money machan..

looks like a good deal to get a Land rover fromt he army and import an engine and put it in. How much do you guys spend to buy a defender from the army and restoring it?

hmmm its not that easy to buy from auctions i'm told - as its a tightly run thing n only those who have connection or are known in é LR scene r able to bid lu...no 1st hand expreince in that regard so cant comment further - mere speculation

but in terms of parts your looking at abt 500-600,000 for an engine drop

Hi Landayman!

Honestly I feel so sad to hear about your side of the story.We are yet to get info from atleast a friend of Osanda about what he got to say (not much I guess).Whatever it is you've fallen into lenghthy Osanda victims list.Belive you were a AL user before you but obtained membership recently .There were many occasions indicated this Osanda Mafia thing.

Lets send things to past and as someone said you are in good AL company of LR enthusiasts.

One person I always deal with is Sohaine of Extreame.just pay a visit.Rest mentioned here are good too.No bad comments about them as far as Im concern.

Good Luck machan! Enjoy the LR life!

Can you see the one through the windscreen ..its done by osanda...body work is a mess. This one is like brand new...Indika tuned up the engine..machan now it can go with a petrol montero...believe me so much power and tourque.

hey,

Can you maybe post a pic of the 2 jeeps' exteriors as well if you dont mind please... been keeping a close eye on this thread (considering the little free time I'm finding) and seems very interesting indeed....

btw, a friend of mine got a landrover from the army cost 1 mill.. very little of that jeep is salvagable... if you ask me just the chassis....

hey,

Can you maybe post a pic of the 2 jeeps' exteriors as well if you dont mind please... been keeping a close eye on this thread (considering the little free time I'm finding) and seems very interesting indeed....

btw, a friend of mine got a landrover from the army cost 1 mill.. very little of that jeep is salvagable... if you ask me just the chassis....

yeah its only é chassis that is needed...basically Land Rover's are like Lego or Mechano :lol:

u can build one up to what ever your choice of specification is :)

...é joys of a bolt on body n ladder frame chassis - é possibilities are endless...

hey guys just would like to know how much would it cost to own a landrover like what army has

Army Green with Normal Tires. Any Number Range,

Please can some one guide me on the prices.

Land Rover prices generally vary based on which engine its running as opposed to é "number"....

early 1990's decommisioned vehicles which have been restored are rarely kept in that soft top trim - those that are & are running a Tdi unit on a 110 wheelbase ought to be over anywhere bwtween 2 ~ 3 Million

Hi Devinda,

What are the chances of finding a Landrover early 90's spec in original condition (not a restored and thus altered from original spec)

say something like what you own what would the price range be, and what if it was the same age but a Defender (not a County like yours) and when I say Defender i mean defender from original not upgraded.

Regards,

The Don

What are the chances of finding a Landrover early 90's spec in original condition (not a restored and thus altered from original spec)

say something like what you own what would the price range be, and what if it was the same age but a Defender (not a County like yours) and when I say Defender i mean defender from original not upgraded.

hmmm its a little hard but not impossible :)

most 1990's defenders will come with a 200Tdi (which is very desirable) & 300Tdi engines- but dont worry if u come across a 12j either..

Govt. Dept used vehicles will be hackec to the bone but are certain to retain é factory spec - these can be picked up on and off as they are released - jus late last yr a fleet of 110's running 12j's were auctioned off by é Bank Of Ceylon - high mileage , trims in tatters - but salvadgeable with a few hundredthousand to spare :)

County Station Wagons are likely to be private puchases more often than not & thus are better take care of...

a CSW 110 mid 1990's with a 12j or more commonly a 200tdi will be anywhere from 3 ~ 4 Million

a 300Tdi equiped post 1994 Defender 110 will be slightly pricier - 4~5 Million-ish

there was a supposeldy mint one owner 110 bought in 2001 for 6.5 Million - which isnt a bad price given that it had all é kit possible originally fitted on purchase!

u do get é odd Defender being advertised in é 2.5~3 Million range but there's usually be some juglary somewhere...é other notorious factor is a non working Odometre whih is a good sign of a vehicle which has been though é mill... Defenders with service records are a rarity - but is most advisable as they'll give u a good indicator of whats likely to go wrong with it & when!! :)

old 110's (1982~89) which have been converted to defender spec will retail for anywhere between 2~3.5 Million depending on é engine running - some of these actually arent a bad buy as é body (bar é door handles , bulkhead vents & roof ridges) & chassis are pretty much é same...cuz all Land Rovers would have done some serious running & thus most engines have been tired out so a new engine is gonna be on é cards for pretty much any early 1990's vehicle...

but if they've been serviced right no matter which engine it is - they'll run,( or at é very least limp on :) ) forever!!

True, they are like legos.

u can never get the real pleasure of driving a 110 inch from any other vehicle.

u said it machan! :)

its not é greatest at one prticular thing , but there's this unquantifiable "quality" about it that just makes it special

its a vehicle which you've gott put everything into it when you drive - it doesnt jus go...you've gotta really grip é steering , chuck it into gear & mad handle it to get it to move - but boy oh boy does it make u feel alive!! ...& u'll know how alive u r , based on é palpitations of ur left quadracep & é jarring of ur knee cap from é inside...if ur not used to driving it in traffic!!!! :lol:

a real drivers machine!! :lol: .....cant help but love it....it becomes ur quirky something special that u hold ever so dear... :)

• 3 weeks later...

went through the whole post as i had some spare time today. I want to point out one thing devinda.. It looks like you have an idea to build a 90 with a auto box. why do you wanna run a 300 with a auto box. i had the same idea sometime back but changed my mind soon after i drove a 300 auto defender here in uk. it is very hard to find auto defenders. i drove a one which had a discovery auto box. the pulling power and the quickyness is miserably low compared to a manual 300.

land rover had produced some original defenders for the 50th aniversary with tha auto box..frankly which i havent driven...but i guess there woudnt be any major difference since they always use the same type gearboxes...

i suggest you to drop a land cruiser or a nissan patrol 4 diesel ltr engine if you are really in need of a auto defender. indeed you will loose the originality.. but you will not put off in terms of performance.

note- 300 unit is unbelievably good in fuel consumption , whereas you will be surely dissapointed with toyotas and other japanese big diesel units.

As you have mentioned in this post somewhere to others i assume you have a fat wallet and a strong stomach...lol :violent-smiley-030:

Edited by lakshank

went through the whole post as i had some spare time today. I want to point out one thing devinda.. It looks like you have an idea to build a 90 with a auto box. why do you wanna run a 300 with a auto box. i had the same idea sometime back but changed my mind soon after i drove a 300 auto defender here in uk. it is very hard to find auto defenders. i drove a one which had a discovery auto box. the pulling power and the quickyness is miserably low compared to a manual 300.

land rover had produced some original defenders for the 50th aniversary with tha auto box..frankly which i havent driven...but i guess there woudnt be any major difference since they always use the same type gearboxes...

i suggest you to drop a land cruiser or a nissan patrol 4 diesel ltr engine if you really in need of a auto defender. indeed you will loose the originality.. but you will not put off in terms of performance.

you confirmed what i feard about the Tdi Auto defenders being sluggish :(

the only reason i'd even consider an Auto is because of that ultra heavy clutch - in traffic it takes too much of a toll on a guys leg - i sometimes fell myself limping a bit if its more that an hour in crawling traffic :(

YOur right bro - all the Land Rover auto's use the same box - its 4 speed ZF Automatic

& as for the 50th Anniversary -those rand the rover 3.9 V8 Petrol's and came in a custom Blue~Green shot camelion paint with the front sec. roll cage - Gorgeous machines and i'd kill to have one - but none in the country né :(

300Tdi's "move" :) but the 200Tdi's are even more frugal but you've gotta put up with that rough "taka taka" enigne beat :mellow:

i saw a Japanese Diesel conversion like that on a 110 single cab at Ind*ka's about a month back!! looked like a Toyota from the ancilaries he'd used like the dash and gear selector section but not that sure... - but as u mentioned,on account of the orginality issue i don't see myself going for such a conversion

i just got back from the garage - my jeep is stripped to the bone :( sad to see it like that - will post some pics of the restoration work somtime :)

Land rovers are meant for men...i guess they are really made for soldiers...when you wear a big pair of boots then you are all right with the cluth issue. he he...the prob is we cant wear such boots every where...

Land rovers are meant for men...i guess they are really made for soldiers...when you wear a big pair of boots then you are all right with the cluth issue. he he...the prob is we cant wear such boots every where...

spot on machan :)

try driving barefoot in traffic and you can see a pedal shaped imprint on your sole :(

machan have you heard of an additional pump being attched to the hydraulic system to ease the presure required to depress the pedal?? i was once tolda of such a mechnism being available in the UK but it has not been highlighted in any LRO magazines - can you shed some light in this issue? :huh: